R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman shakes steering wheel

Old 05-13-2016, 03:39 PM
chav
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Clubman shakes steering wheel

My clubman just hit 123k miles today and I have started to notice a shake in the steering wheel as I go over bumps. Its really bad when I'm going on to a high way and have to turn on the on ramp the wheel will jump a little then shake. The best way to describe the feeling is warped rotors. Also my rear suspension is making a few funny noises while I make hard turns at a stop. I am currently all stock but I have coilovers waiting to be put on, but I would much rather get this issue fixed first.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:50 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tie rod ends... sway bar links.... control arm bushings... ball joints... could be anything.

Gotta get under and look.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
The rotor shake is typically only apparent under braking. Check all of your suspension components and bushings for wear (ball joints, control arm bushings, etc). Have you replaced any of them or are they all original at 123k miles? Since you're installing coil overs, it may be a good idea to do an overhaul of your suspension components, especially if they're original. I can help you put together a list if you'd like. Definitely get under the vehicle and inspect things and let us know what you find.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-17-2016, 11:17 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Stop driving....
Get it into a shop...
Even a "free" courtesy " inspection...
Could be dangerous if something finishes failing or lets go.....

Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
^^^ This!!!

Find out what is wrong before you drive this car any more than you already have. You or some innocent person could be hurt when the steering goes away. At your mileage I'm sure you have some parts that are beyond worn out.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 PM
grussell
4th Gear
For the front jack up one wheel at a time. Grip the wheel and try to move back & forth and see if you feel any slack. If tie rod ends you may be able to feel the looseness. Inspect the control arm bushing and look for any deterioration in the rubber or cracks. Driving in Ohio in the Winters the crap they put on the roads take a toll on the rubber bushings. For the rear what type of noise are you hearing? Is it a clunk, squeal, metal on metal sound?

Here is a picture of a bad control bushing. HERE

Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Also make sure your lug nuts are tight. I recently paid an idiot tax to figure that out.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:56 PM
chav
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
The rotor shake is typically only apparent under braking. Check all of your suspension components and bushings for wear (ball joints, control arm bushings, etc). Have you replaced any of them or are they all original at 123k miles? Since you're installing coil overs, it may be a good idea to do an overhaul of your suspension components, especially if they're original. I can help you put together a list if you'd like. Definitely get under the vehicle and inspect things and let us know what you find.
I would love a list of things if that's possible!

Old 05-27-2016, 04:37 AM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to get that checked out, and if PelicanParts will work up an overhaul kit for you, that's a big time saver. ( I'd actually be interested in what they put together.)

I broke a tie rod on my Sierra Denali about 2 weeks ago. Luckily I was only doing about 20mph and didn't have the horse trailer hooked up at the time.
Get it checked out, and do the work yourself, if possible. Depending on what parts you change out, you may need an alignment done.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:09 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chav
My clubman just hit 123k miles today and I have started to notice a shake in the steering wheel as I go over bumps. Its really bad when I'm going on to a high way and have to turn on the on ramp the wheel will jump a little then shake. The best way to describe the feeling is warped rotors. Also my rear suspension is making a few funny noises while I make hard turns at a stop. I am currently all stock but I have coilovers waiting to be put on, but I would much rather get this issue fixed first.
You need to get it looked at ASAP.
DO NOT DRAG YOUR FEET!! THIS IS A POTENTIALLY LETHAL ISSUE.
It's been a few week...MAKE TIME, before a potentially deadly result happens...
Could be minor...but could have a wheel turn 90° suddenly, turning your car into the side of a tanker truck filled with propane, making it explode, killing you, and the bus load of handicapped children being driven by a Nun on the opposite side if the highway!!
And not to mention, cause a backup at rush hour, making me late for work!!
Just trying to make a point here....kinda sounds like it's on the list of stuff for you to find some time for......
Been 2 weeks...hope you are not still driving....

Old 05-27-2016, 05:53 AM
chav
4th Gear
Still driving it just fine it's my daily driver 60+ miles I live 2 hours away from BMW and I'm trying to get it in but they never can get me in. I got a check engine light yesterday day and my gas mileage is awful my car says I'm getting 40 mpg but my gas gage is dropping fast.. Really fast

Old 05-27-2016, 05:58 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Still driving it just fine it's my daily driver 60+ miles I live 2 hours away from BMW and I'm trying to get it in but they never can get me in. I got a check engine light yesterday day and my gas mileage is awful my car says I'm getting 40 mpg but my gas gage is dropping fast.. Really fast
No need to go there BMW/MINI....
A local Midas can do the suspension check....
Not complicated stuff here...but it could KILL YOU.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:58 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by silkcut
You need to get that checked out, and if PelicanParts will work up an overhaul kit for you, that's a big time saver. ( I'd actually be interested in what they put together.)

I broke a tie rod on my Sierra Denali about 2 weeks ago. Luckily I was only doing about 20mph and didn't have the horse trailer hooked up at the time.
Get it checked out, and do the work yourself, if possible. Depending on what parts you change out, you may need an alignment done.
If you two would just shoot me a PM with the last 7 digits of your vin I can get a list of what you'll need.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-10-2016, 08:08 PM
chav
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
If you two would just shoot me a PM with the last 7 digits of your vin I can get a list of what you'll need.
I sent you a PM with vin