R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rough Idle at Operating Temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:46 PM
StroppyDog
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Idle at Operating Temp

(Apologies if this has been covered and I didn't find the topic.)
2010 Clubbie base model, 75K miles. The car sat for about 6 mos. due to an injury that prevented me from operating the clutch. Fuel was low enough that when we got the battery charged started the car the low fuel light was on. And apparently the friend who took it out to add gas put in 87 octane.
-Issue I'm having is it starts to idle rough after the car comes up to operating temp, say a 20 minute in town drive. After a while the CE light comes on. Reader gives me a misfire code.
I have:
-Original code was 0304. I swapped coils around (1 with 2, 3 with 4) and cleared CE to see if code changed. Next time this happened I got a random misfire code.
-Changed plugs. Old plugs were stock Beru, looked great, exactly how you want a plug to look, but cylinder 4 was really worn -- increased the gap on it's own.
-Car was good for a couple of weeks than issue came back. Random misfire again. At a friends who I trust (he designed his own higher compression pistons for his Moto Guzzi and had them built. He has a pretty good grasp of engine mechanics) and we did
* SeaFoam in the vacuum line
*Water Wetter to the coolant
*Techron to the tank.
Then I took it out for a 20 minute blast on I5 and it ran great. But once I got off rough idle was back.
(As an aside, before it gets up to temp the engine's so smooth and quiet at idle I have to check the tach to make sure it's running.)
-Ran tank down to LF light again. Filled with super. Had oil changed, changed air filter, cleaned MAF (very carefully)
-Noticed the plugs NAPA sold were NGK Iridium for the S/JCW. Called around and found stock Beru plugs and got them in yesterday.
-Rough idle at temp temp today. Checked CE code after light came on and got 0301.
So... is the computer having some issues because of the lower octane gas for a tank and/or having the wrong plugs; or should I replace the coils; or is it likely my injectors are clogged from sitting for a few months? And if it's the injectors what's a reasonable method to clear them (Dellorto carburetors I can do, FI I'm lost)?
Thanks in advance.