North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008-168/)
-   -   R55 Bluetooth Mic replacement? OEM mic swap? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008/244366-bluetooth-mic-replacement-oem-mic-swap.html)

geoffv 01-23-2013 10:21 AM

Bluetooth Mic replacement? OEM mic swap?

I spent some time on NAM today reading through the various bluetooth threads. I switched the mic position years ago and gained little improvement.
The quality of the bluetooth for people receiving a call from my R55 is so bad now (and seems to have gotten worse over the years) that I can no longer use the bluetooth. Receiving calls and the quality of the voice coming through the speakers is great, but making outbound call is terrible.

I was hoping to see if someone has tried replacing the OEM mic with an after market mic and splicing it into the OEM wiring. Is there anyone that has done that? I wonder if you can improve the quality with a better mic. Was going to look into this with my local HiFi installer to see if this is an option.

SoundMessage 02-05-2013 03:02 AM

I imagine this might be possible. Does anyone know what the electrical current supplied to the current microphone is? Or, the complete specifications for the OEM mic, for that matter??

Perhaps you could substitute some kind of lavaliere microphone if the power supply is right.

jackley 02-05-2013 08:59 AM

I'd love to do this too, please let us know if you find anything.

james

SoundMessage 02-05-2013 09:40 AM

I'm an audio guy. If someone can tell me the power and impedance characteristics of the current mic, then I can probably at least determine if there are other microphones out there that might work.

Mabbottusmc 02-05-2013 10:43 PM

I took my car in for this problem. Everyone I call complains about the quality. It wasn't always that way. The dealership said it was working fine. I've been using an audio cord plugged in to the aux port. It echos a bit but sounds better. I need a fix bad!

Green_Chili 02-24-2013 07:47 PM

Same Problem Here...

I just had my '10 Clubman S in for the same problem. The dealer said that it was working fine. I've had this car since new and the bluetooth always worked really well, over the last two months or so It's become unusable. I have an iPhone 5, which worked fine originally, but sounds like garbage. I've also tried it with a Blackberry Bold, with the same results.

My SA commented that they should have swapped out the mic, to see if that helped. Since they didn't i'll have to waste another day dealing with this.

I need to figure out a way to escalate this...

alanwrench 02-25-2013 07:49 AM

How many B/T devices are in the area at any given time?
Ive noticed issues when there are other devices (headsets, laptops, etc.) in the car.
I talk to my Dad all the time, and it seems that in my study, people over 75 cant hear for squat, but complain about every single pop, click, buzz, or background sound that penetrates their ears.
Thankfully my 09 hasnt activated the pre-octogen-audio alarm:)

Green_Chili 02-25-2013 07:53 AM

My only Bluetooth device is my iPhone. All others have Bluetooth turned off.

I am going to call my SA at lunch from the road so he can hear it first hand.

GregoryK 09-13-2013 01:58 PM

wondering if anyone every found out the specs of the OEM mic?
I spoke with my sa today and he said that they really don't get that number of complaints about the mic and reception. I have no reason to doubt this is true. If so then they should replace the radio on mine before I start ripping the car apart.
I have pulled my mic apart (this is the 3rd one from the dealership under warranty). there is more in there than you would think. My R56 2010 uses only 2 wires but it is a 3 wire mic. There is a circuit board and the mic is mounted transversly in rubber with foam at the end. I doubt the circuit board can do much if the 3rd wire is not used but I am not an electronics guy.
One improvement I have made is to move the mic to the back of the housing and face it back into the car - you have to cut a small piece of plastic to do this. When in this position the fan hardly effects the mic at all and although my voice is still tinny sounding it can be understood.
I am going to order another (bigger) mic as thee is a ton of room above the consol to stick it. Not sure if this will help. Need to find the impedance of the existing mic before I go ahead though.

ECSTuning 09-13-2013 02:19 PM

Moving the mic from the right side to the left does help a bit. Don't know about removing the dust screen.

This is all I have:

The OEM Mic - GSM R56 2007+ And R60 -11/2012

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/84316938762/ES201082/

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/276504_x600.jpg

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/276505_x600.jpg

Then there is the:

Microphone - ME49

The one from the R60 11/2012+ / R61 platform

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/84109263744/ES2672869/

From the older mics set ups. R50 R52 R53 MINI Full Bluetooth kit Microphone - Netz/PCN

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/84318380319/ES201094/

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/182502_x600.jpg

And the Mic from the R57 / R58/ R59

Which might have a better pic up due to the noise on convertible models. I don't know if its a disc type or not. But it does fit on the bump grille located on the top steering column in those models.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/84109167397/

Looks like they have the same or similar connections.

Thanks and hope that helps.

GregoryK 09-13-2013 02:26 PM

Moving the mic to the back (where the motion detectors are when you have the alarm) is 10 x the improvement of moving the mic from the r to the L side. Just so you know.

daddyandmadi 09-17-2013 04:01 PM

GregoryK,
Can you show us where in a pic?

GregoryK 09-22-2013 11:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Daddyandmadi

Here you go...... Simple fix that makes some sense. I'm working on a better microphone....might even try earthing this one first - think the circuit board is not used in a 2 wire install like mine.

Riccja 12-07-2013 06:34 AM

Mic on 2014 roadster

I just purchased a 2014 roadster. I am having the same problems. When standing still it works fine. When moving the hands free bluetooth is worthless.

The mic is located on the steering column.

Also I am getting the same response from the dealer that everyone else has. Ie. there is no problem.

My thoughts are we round up enough people with this problem and go see an attorney. It is ripe for a class action lawsuit. You would of thought by now they would have fixed this.

Rick

Ian Landesman 12-07-2013 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by GregoryK (Post 3813915)
Hey Daddyandmadi

Here you go...... Simple fix that makes some sense. I'm working on a better microphone....might even try earthing this one first - think the circuit board is not used in a 2 wire install like mine.

I might try that! I'm subcribed to this thread. I want to hear what other people's fixes are so I can try them! Thanks so much!

daddyandmadi 12-07-2013 08:04 AM

Works like a charm. 👍. 5 minute fix.

BlackIce 12-07-2013 10:47 AM

I always wondered where the mic was. :popcorn:

GregoryK 12-07-2013 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Riccja (Post 3851321)
I just purchased a 2014 roadster. I am having the same problems. When standing still it works fine. When moving the hands free bluetooth is worthless.

The mic is located on the steering column.

Also I am getting the same response from the dealer that everyone else has. Ie. there is no problem.

My thoughts are we round up enough people with this problem and go see an attorney. It is ripe for a class action lawsuit. You would of thought by now they would have fixed this.

Rick

If I was spending money...I'd rater go after them for the duel mass flywheel clutch issues... you can completely replace the entire Bluetooth system for the price of one clutch..! I agree the mic issue is ridiculous but we keep buying the Mini ----because they are sooo much fun.

BruceJMK 01-17-2014 11:06 AM

Mic on a 2014 Coup

I too just purchased a 2013 (same as the 2014) with the Mic on the steering column and I constantly get complaints from those that I call: tinny and echo.

Anyone have any advice on improving the sound quality for the steering column mounted mics?

walk0080 03-12-2014 01:03 PM

--

Rkkarrow 03-22-2014 08:51 PM

Bluetooth Mic

I am new to NAM and Minis and I am loving everything about my Mini except the bluetooth mic. I have people complaining about the call quality constantly. I called many Mini dealerships and they reported no issues with the microphone quality. I did the mic swap to the drivers side and there was no difference. I figured that I must have a faulty mic. I ordered a new mic and there was no difference. So I made some test calls and noticed that it was that the mic was over sensitive. Touching the outside of the mic housing and even touching the connecting wires made a horrible noise. I am curious if anyone else has tried this and had the same issues. I will be in contact with my local Mini dealer to see what can be done. I will update when I hear from them.

MarioKart 03-22-2014 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by GregoryK (Post 3809693)
Moving the mic to the back (where the motion detectors are when you have the alarm) is 10 x the improvement of moving the mic from the r to the L side. Just so you know.

Can I still move the MIC, if I have the motion sensor? I wonder if I have enough room? BTW, I hate the motion sensor, I can lock my car with the windows down, because the wind sets it off, nor can I lock my car with my dog in the car. The motion sensor is crazy sensitive

Sent from my iPhone Office

bratling 03-23-2014 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by GregoryK (Post 3809676)
I am going to order another (bigger) mic as thee is a ton of room above the consol to stick it. Not sure if this will help. Need to find the impedance of the existing mic before I go ahead though.

Hey Gregory, did you make any headway on this?

GregoryK 03-23-2014 02:03 PM

Bratling. No ended up giving up on the idea and bought a newer model.

bratling 03-23-2014 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by GregoryK (Post 3900929)
Bratling. No ended up giving up on the idea and bought a newer model.

That may be the most expensive mic upgrade ever. ;-)

Hope you are enjoying the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring