R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 What, no shielding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:06 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What, no shielding?

Weird thing happened to me the other day...Wednesday to be exact. I bought a brand new Milltek cat-back exhaust system from fellow NAM member.

I went to have the system installed at a local shop that was suggested by the guy I bought it from. I met this great guy, Peter, the owner of the little shop. If anyone is in the area of Closter NJ, I would highly recommend you look this guy up. He did an excellent job installing my new exhaust system and then he did my Helix intercooler and M7 hot-side hose. I really think he took more care with my car than I do and all at very reasonable price. That part of the day went beautifully but then something weird happened.

I’m sitting there watching Peter starting to work on my car when he just stops and stares at the rear underside. It’s like he doesn’t understand something he sees.

He comes over to me and says he wants me to see something… I’m thinking this can’t be good! I walk over to where my Clubman is up on the lift and look at the rear underside of the car just as I had seen him do. Nothing, I don’t see anything out of place!

Peter asks if I notice anything “unusual”. Again I see nothing. Then he says “It’s not what’s there, it’s what’s not there”. Then I notice it, the heat shielding around the exhaust system comes down the middle of the car and then extends along the pipe and muffler on the passenger side of the car but there is no shielding around the pipe and muffler on the driver side. It’s just not there, it’s missing. Now this observation is made before anything is done to my car. It appears the car was manufactured without the exhaust shield on the driver’s side.

Peter mentions that this is what the non-S cars are like with a passenger side exhaust and muffler only. The S or Turbo cars have a Y-pipe and dual mufflers complete with shielding on both sides.

So I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem? If you have a 2010 Clubman you just might want to take a look. It could be a one car screw-up but I wonder! Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Old 10-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine is an '09 and it has heat shielding on both sides. Looks like someone may have been a bit sleepy the day your car was produced.

I would think the dealer would give you the part being it's been missing since day 1.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:46 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Or look at it as added heat for your feet. Seriously, glad it hasn't caused any issues. Should've been picked up during dealer prep, I would think.