Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Water Leak on Front Passenger Floor

Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
dewarner
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Leak on Front Passenger Floor

I have a 2009 MCCS, and have not had any water leaks until now. During a recent torrential rain, my MCCS took in a fair amount of water that wound up on the front passenger side floor. There are no obvious places the water could have come from, but I read a previous thread that mentions a similar problem caused by a kink in the sunroof drain. Has anyone had experience with this type of problem, and are there other explanations?

Thanks -

Old 10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might read through this thread as well: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-footwell.html

Post #2 suggests windshield seal problems. That's worth investigating.

Post #5 mentions that there is a door seal that was apparently omitted at the factory from the '08 and early '09 vehicles, but that was on the driver's side. Still, you might double-check the one on the passenger's side of your vehicle; perhaps it's damaged or missing...?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:25 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by timfitz63
You might read through this thread as well: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-footwell.html

Post #2 suggests windshield seal problems. That's worth investigating.

Post #5 mentions that there is a door seal that was apparently omitted at the factory from the '08 and early '09 vehicles, but that was on the driver's side. Still, you might double-check the one on the passenger's side of your vehicle; perhaps it's damaged or missing...?
#2 is possible but more likely the drain on the sunroof if you have one is clogged or become disconnected.

As for #5 that WILL NOT allow water into the cabin and onto the floor the of the car unless it is sitting in water deeper than the height of the bottom of the door. The weather strip they are talking about is placed into door holes and is used for wind noise reduction not water deterrent. The only place water would do is into the door and back out the holes that the water went in unless the car was sitting in water deeper than the bottom edge of the door. The inner door gasket is what keeps the water out.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM
dewarner
1st Gear
Water Leak

Thanks for the replies about possible places where water leaks could occur. This will help when my MCCS goes to the dealer in a week.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 PM
dewarner
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
#2 is possible but more likely the drain on the sunroof if you have one is clogged or become disconnected.

As for #5 that WILL NOT allow water into the cabin and onto the floor the of the car unless it is sitting in water deeper than the height of the bottom of the door. The weather strip they are talking about is placed into door holes and is used for wind noise reduction not water deterrent. The only place water would do is into the door and back out the holes that the water went in unless the car was sitting in water deeper than the bottom edge of the door. The inner door gasket is what keeps the water out.
The MINI Dealer could not find a leak, but I made it clear that there was one and they would need to locate it. They finally said it is the passenger door seal. I am having trouble figuring out how this could have been the cause. The 2 times I had the leak, it was raining torrentially and blowing.

Also, the dealer was not sure if they would replace the carpet on the passenger side even though it had been soaked. What is the protocol in these situations? I would think that they would minimally have to check to make sure underneath the carpet was fully dried out and the no electrical connections were wet.

Thanks -

Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dewarner
... Also, the dealer was not sure if they would replace the carpet on the passenger side even though it had been soaked. What is the protocol in these situations? I would think that they would minimally have to check to make sure underneath the carpet was fully dried out and the no electrical connections were wet.
I would personally argue that, since the carpeting damage was a result of the defect they were correcting under warranty, they need to pull out the carpet, inspect for water damage, and replace the carpeting, preferably with new carpeting.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:29 PM
dewarner
1st Gear
I told the dealer that if they decided that there was no water damage, I would want them to document heir findings on the bill.

The dealer has now had my MCCS for 5 days, and they say that they have not been able to fully stop the leak. They say they have asked MINI at the national level for a consult. I can not believe that this is taking so long to fix. Any advice?

Thanks -

Old 10-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Zippin Mellow Yellow
Neutral
How does your car sit when parked? Level? Nose down? Right side down? Right front down? My local dealer had ours off and on for three weeks. They finally found the leak by jacking the car's left side and rear which was pretty close to my driveway's slope angles. It was over the top left of the windshield. It would "fill up" the top side of the headliner and then drip thru the low point of the rear view mirror. The first time, the leak fried the electronics above the mirror. Be patient and persistent. Nothing but good things to say about Flow Mini in Winston Salem! Darren, the tech called several times to ask for info during their troubleshooting process.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:31 PM
dewarner
1st Gear
Water Leak

Thanks for the response. Glad yours got fixed.

After a week, I got my MCCS back. The dealer said the leak came from the passenger side door seal. Mine leaked in hard rain when it was completely flat. Water was getting back behind the seal and then filling up the kick panel until it leaked out of the access door. Hopefully this is the right diagnosis.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:15 AM
DerekvG
Neutral
water leak front passenger footwell

I've read through the responses and links so I have a few more questions
a) there is a drain outside before the windscreen, this was blocked by dust and leafparts, since i removed the blockage a lot more water came into the footwell
b) what electronics could be fried by this waterleak
- radio / sound system
- ventilator/ airco
- rear light
c) can someone point me to the relevant document for water leak remedy under warranty
kind regards