R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 MINI Bicycle Lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Bicycle Lift

Anybody have experience with the MINI Lift/Bike Holder that attaches to the roof rack?

Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not specifically the MINI one but had one for our former Volvo and it worked very well. I ma sure it works on the same basis as from the pictures it look almost identical.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
sgtjosh
2nd Gear
I opted to go with an actual bike rack manufacturer as opposed to the MINI brand bike rack.

Thule and Yakima are the top two vehicle rack companies... And when it comes to a Clubman with factory rails, only Yakima makes a setup for this - Thule does not.

It's a tad expensive, but oh so worth it.

http://www.yakima.com

Old 06-03-2009, 01:46 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by sgtjosh
I opted to go with an actual bike rack manufacturer as opposed to the MINI brand bike rack.

Thule and Yakima are the top two vehicle rack companies... And when it comes to a Clubman with factory rails, only Yakima makes a setup for this - Thule does not.

It's a tad expensive, but oh so worth it.

http://www.yakima.com

Actually with Thule there are two different feet that can be used with the Roof Rails.

Option 1 - 450 Crossroad and 48" or 50" bars

Option 2 - 450R Rapid Crossroad and bars.

As for the Lifting bike rack from MINI, It used to be made by Thule and as for the Volvo one it is made by Thule Europe and is exclusive for car manufacturers only they can not sell it as a Thule item.

Now the OEM Roof Rack (not Rails) part of it used to be made for MINI by Thule Europe. The bar itself was made by Thule and now it is made by some one else and is almost identical to the Thule Aero Bars. The mounting feet have always been made by someone else.

BMW has in the past had Thule manufacture and brand as BMW roof rack parts and accessories.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
Thanks for the replies, I have the Mini Roof Rack Base made for the Roof Rails,and two mini touring bicycle racks. I discovered this weekend that I don't feel comfortable balancing a bicycle over my head to install the bikes on the racks. One option would be to sell the bicycle holders I have and then purchase the Mini one with the Lift (gas charged cylinder) feature to hold the bikes. I know they are $299.00 apiece, but I am looking for options. I did think about a Step to attach on the Rear tire.. Ideas?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Tiina
2nd Gear
NOt sure if you can get this for the clubby, but this rocks on my 2008 MCS. It's the dealer installed MINI rack, sport link thingee/holes in the bumper like $400, rack itself like $400... comes out just under 1K... but its GREAT, nothing touches car, nothing touches the bikes, etc...

Old 06-04-2009, 03:16 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Tiina
NOt sure if you can get this for the clubby, but this rocks on my 2008 MCS. It's the dealer installed MINI rack, sport link thingee/holes in the bumper like $400, rack itself like $400... comes out just under 1K... but its GREAT, nothing touches car, nothing touches the bikes, etc...

Unfortunately there is nothing like this from MINI for the CLubman in the USA.

MINI does offer a trailer hitch and a rack of this style for the Clubman in Europe but it is not approved for use here and MINI can not sell it here in the USA/Canada

There are two aftermarket trailer hitch setups for the MINI here int he USA
1. http://www.minidomore.com
2. http://www.minifini.com

Both are very high quality items but work very differently.

The Mini Do More is a traditional hitch style receiver unit that hides behind the rear license plate.

The MiniFini is a dual hole style and accepts there SportsLink Attachments. They have a bunch of different styles of attachements from Reciever Hitches, Bike Racks, Ski/Snowboard, Flat Cargo Shelf, Spare Tire Carrier. By using a receiver style atachment you can then add your own bike rack or other accessories.

Prices on the hitch mountings is
Mini Do More $325.00 + racks
MiniFini $395.00 + attachments

Hope this helps

Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 AM
sgtjosh
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Actually with Thule there are two different feet that can be used with the Roof Rails.

Option 1 - 450 Crossroad and 48" or 50" bars

Option 2 - 450R Rapid Crossroad and bars.
Hmmm... Well, I think I may have had a sales rep who was on his first day. He didn't seem to know much (even after looking in the compatibility manual) and then sold me the wrong rack system.

I later tried going to Thule's website to "fit my car", where I got a message along the lines of "We're unable to produce a match for your specific vehicle at this time"... So after strike two, I decided to go with their competitor.

I'm completely satisfied though... My bikes are clamped down so tightly I can just drive normally and not even think about them being there.