R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Mini Do More hitch install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 AM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by godskid
Whew! Got the hitch installed this past weekend (naturally, the hottest weekend yet, up here). Aside from having to dremel 6 of the 8 holes on the hitch, it went in smoothly! I got the jcwhitney flip up license place, installed in a sort of haphazard manner (ignored the springs, since they were too firm). Now I'm not sure if my trailer can get in there, since the flip up lic plate sits on top of my tow ball. I'll have to lift the lic plate even further, to attach to that tow ball. (I probably need a longer drawbar, but haven't found one).

You should email Minidomore, I had to do some SERIOUS dremel work to all 8 bolt holes to get it to fit, it took an extra hour and 3 more trial fits before it slipped on.

I then had to dremel out the hitch opening and the pin opening as both had so much powder coating that neither would fit.

When I emailed Minidomore about the hitch not fitting before I started dremeling, he replied that he had sold hundreds of these and never had a problem. He was going to ask the manufacturer to spread the holes by 1/8". Not Exaggerating I dremeled at LEAST 1/4" off the outside of each bolt hole.

When I emailed him back that I had finally gotten the hitch on but had to dremel all the holes and powder coating (And was concerned about the rust-proofness after this), he did not respond. Nor has he responded since.

Not what I would call customer service oriented. Seems to me the second he heard I had it installed, he could care less about me.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Mr. Mini Do More lives 5 minutes from me. When I install my hitch I will measure the location of the bolts (studs) and get that info to him so he has it. Or, maybe I'll have him come over to measure them himself. I don't think you will have your MINI long enough to worry about that 1/4" mounting plate rusting through. I'll just throw on some rustoleum and move on.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:16 PM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed the flip licence plate holder upside down. So the springs are at the bottom. And the licence rests at the bottom of the draw bar

Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may switch to the hinge-on-bottom mounting. The plate isn't at ALL visible, then, when the hitch is in use. That doesn't bother you (or your local police?) I don't know if my police would stop me or not.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:32 PM
MyroMini
4th Gear
No problems yet. I even got a from an Ontario Police Officer last week, on a camping trip, while driving on the interstate.

The plate sits at a little over 45 degrees, so it's seems ok. And since it's only that way when I haul my trailer, it's not really visible from behind.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:23 PM
zsqure
3rd Gear
OK Gang I'm at the point of install now. E-mailed Mini-do-more and he called me about the fit. He lives 5 maybe 10 minutes from me. He is coming to see the fit issue tomorrow morning. pics to follow....later the missus is hungry. Gotta keep momma happy

Old 08-24-2009, 09:56 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Ok, two days later. Mr. Mini Do More came by yesterday and took my hitch and the aluminum bumper sub-structure to his fabricator so the fit issue could be resolved. He is getting ready to produce another run of the hitches and my timing was right on, (he was trying to locate me to see how the hitch fit.).
As it turns out, in a couple weeks He'll have a correct-fit hitch for the clubman.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by zsqure
Ok, two days later. Mr. Mini Do More came by yesterday and took my hitch and the aluminum bumper sub-structure to his fabricator so the fit issue could be resolved. He is getting ready to produce another run of the hitches and my timing was right on, (he was trying to locate me to see how the hitch fit.).
As it turns out, in a couple weeks He'll have a correct-fit hitch for the clubman.
Thanks zsqure. We have identified the issue and why it seems that some have had issues with fitment, while others have not. Zsqure will confirm that when I was over on Sunday, I was able to muscle the hitch onto the car. Took a swift blow with the hand. I agree, this is not the best fit though.

As was confirmed on zsqure's hitch, during the welding process, it seems that some of the hitch mounting plates raised from the heat. See the attached photo. This spring causes the plates to not sit flat and draws the holes closer.

We confirmed that the holes have the correct spacing to each other. In an effort to correct the fitment issues, we have spread the plates 1/8" further a part. And, most importantly, have addressed the welding spring issue. On the test fit this evening, the hitch fits perfectly with no rubbing on the studs.

Godskid, TheMadDane, FlyMini, SubDude - contact me at Brent@minidomore.com and I'll get you each $100 for your hassle of massaging the holes.

Paulsminis - Please contact us first for approval before posting TradeMarked instructions from our wiring kits!! Shame on you!!

Attached Thumbnails Mini Do More hitch install-sta73205.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Received my hitch yesterday, (from a new production run) will install it on Saturday.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Installed the hitch Saturday, took all of 1 hour. The wiring took another 40 minutes. Good fit, wiring was no problem. Nothing worth complaining about.
Thank You to Brent @ Mini Do More.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 PM
taysan
2nd Gear
I'm kinda curious about these hitches, as it would be a great alternative to lugging bikes up to a rack mounted carrier (and ultimately less expensive too).

That being said, has anyone confirmed with MINI about impact to warranty? Canada specifically?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
I wish they would come up with something for the JCW Aero kit. :(

Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by STLMINI
I wish they would come up with something for the JCW Aero kit. :(
Are you talking about a Clubman or an MCS?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
Mojo's Mini Trailer

Last edited by TheMadDane; 05-16-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Wrong Thread
Old 10-05-2009, 09:14 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Dane, nice MINI. Paint the trailer add stripes, put some MINI rims on it. What did you use for wiring? I hope they bring back Pepper White when I get to order MINE.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you guys do for safety chain hookups, with the mini-do-more hitch? I've got the hitch, but haven't yet managed a camping trip, with my teardrop trailer. Picture shows previous owner pulling it, not me.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear

Last edited by TheMadDane; 05-16-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Wrong Thread
Old 10-06-2009, 11:38 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
same here. You could get the MiniDoMore draw bar, with the "integrated" loops. But this design kind of defeats the purpose of the loops, doesn't it? the loops are there if the ball or the pin holding the drawbar fails

Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 AM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear

Last edited by TheMadDane; 05-16-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Wrong Thread
Old 10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
... and it's now illegal (in my part of the world anyway) to have the loops on the removable drawbar. That was my main driver to have a plate with holes welded to the hitch itself

Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
OK, understood, however it does kinda defeat the "Hidden" hitch concept. so you have chain loops on the hitch itself under the bumper I presume?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Still hidden, as in the picture on the MiniDoMore web site

http://www.minidomore.com/mini_coope...iler_hitch.php

and hidden by the flip license plate when not in use. I simply enlarged the hole where the draw-bar goes through the bumper, to fit the chains. I'll try to ****** a few pictures when I get home

Old 10-07-2009, 04:40 PM
jswerdna
Neutral
I put the same hitch on mine. A couple of comments. I ordered a flip up license plate holder like the ones on old GM cars so I don't have to move the plate. The only downside is you will need to get a longer receiver to clear the plate. Get one with 11" between the hole centers (pin to ball) and it works great. The really bad part is the trailer light wiring kit from Mini Do More. It blew a fuse on the rear power outlet that powers the module and I can't find the fuse to replace it. You might want to buy the kit and pay someone with small hands to install it for you. Believe me, it's worth it.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
+1 on the license flip plate. I mounted it upside down, so it flips down

As for the wiring, I went to a local trailer shop. 40$ all done

Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
I ordered my hitch last night - big sale on - $50 off the now lowered price of $190, so you're paying $140 + shipping for the hitch. Too good a deal to pass up!

Quick Reply: R55 Mini Do More hitch install