North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008-168/)
-   -   R55 Astro Black Clubman and dirt (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008/163251-astro-black-clubman-and-dirt.html)

DC commuter 02-09-2009 12:53 PM

Astro Black Clubman and dirt

Sorry, did not mean to post a blank message.

The Mini Clubman I was supposed to pick up today is suddenly not available and the closest thing they have to what I want is astro black / silver top.

I owned a black black car before and it was impossible to keep clean. How well does dirt show on the Astro Black?

TIA

CR&PW&JB 02-09-2009 12:59 PM

If it's ANYthing like Jet Black, it shows.... VERY well.

But think of it this way: If you have a brain tumor, are you better off knowing it, or not know it ??

Okay, there you go. Same with dirt. You're better of knowing it's there than not knowing. Knowing it's there, you can get it the hell off ! :nod: :cool:

:razz:

Ps. I don't care for Astro Black. It can't make up its mind... is it black ? Or is it blue ? :impatient:

dbclub 02-09-2009 01:16 PM

I'm a black car guy, but IMHO, dirty Astro Black looks a little worse than dirty Black Black--the fact it is a little lighter in the first place means it looks a little "blah-er" when it is dirty, which will be often.

I came very close to ordering an AB, but ended up going with DS; on the way to the dealership to place the order, I happened to be following a dirty AB--the look of it made be glad I went with DS.

I understand the lure of black, though--YMMV.

ClubmanS 02-09-2009 01:23 PM

Hot Chocolate has the same problems. Shows a ton of dirt and the back of the car is a dust trap.

But when washed and waxed, hot cocoa looks fantastic. Ditto for Astro Black.

zoltiz 02-09-2009 01:28 PM

Black cars are death for OCD people like me. I love the color, but it costs a ton of time to keep clean. I've recently moved from black cars to Titanium / Silver and finally PW/B/B Clubbie and it's like I have twice as much free time now :D

CR&PW&JB 02-09-2009 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by zoltiz (Post 2661309)
Black cars are death for OCD people like me.

:no:

They're a JOY for OCDetailers like ME. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing such a brilliant shine and sharp reflections in Jet Black paint.

I take care of the PW MINI the same way, I don't skimp on detailing just because the dirt doesn't show up as well. Still have to take care of the paint and keep the car looking new. :nod: But it's not as rewarding as the work spent on the other MINIs.

ClubmanS 02-09-2009 01:38 PM

Black is no doubt beautiful. But you have to invest the time to keep it looking its best.

I have a friend that is obsessed with black cars, yet he doesn't take care of them. What's the point?

Black shows scratches from miles away. Not a very good choice of color if you live in a sunbelt state (makes the car too hot).

Pluses of solid black paints? Easiest to touch up and repair.

beasleyboy 02-09-2009 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB (Post 2661315)
:no:

They're a JOY for OCDetailers like ME. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing such a brilliant shine and sharp reflections in Jet Black paint.

I take care of the PW MINI the same way, I don't skimp on detailing just because the dirt doesn't show up as well. Still have to take care of the paint and keep the car looking new. :nod: But it's not as rewarding as the work spent on the other MINIs.

Question: do scratches and swirl marks from wax show up more easily on black? I got PS and amazed by how long it stays looking clean. Of course, removing wax is more work because I always miss a few spots!

CR&PW&JB 02-09-2009 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by beasleyboy (Post 2661470)
Question: do scratches and swirl marks from wax show up more easily on black? I got PS and amazed by how long it stays looking clean. Of course, removing wax is more work because I always miss a few spots!

You don't get scratches and swirl marks FROM wax. You get them from other sources and they show up more if you fill them in with wax.

But yes, swirls and scratches do show up more so on black and other dark colors then they do in the lighter colors.

Otra 02-10-2009 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DC commuter (Post 2661258)
Sorry, did not mean to post a blank message.

The Mini Clubman I was supposed to pick up today is suddenly not available and the closest thing they have to what I want is astro black / silver top.

I owned a black black car before and it was impossible to keep clean. How well does dirt show on the Astro Black?

TIA

"suddenly not available"?:sly: :eek: That's unfortunate. If you really don't want the AB, find out if your dealership can do a "search" and see if there just might be another Clubman matching what you'd ordered or is another color you like.

Everyone's different in what they like. I hate a dirty looking car, but am "lazy".

Let us know what you end up deciding.:popcorn:

ClubmanS 02-10-2009 01:50 PM

He got the car already. Pics coming soon...

Otra 02-11-2009 02:01 PM

:grin: We'll stay tuned.

Tsar 02-11-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB (Post 2661265)

Ps. I don't care for Astro Black. It can't make up its mind... is it black ? Or is it blue ? :impatient:

Think of it as two colors for the price of one :lol:

Doc Cooper 02-11-2009 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tsar (Post 2664464)
Think of it as two colors for the price of one :lol:

Its like the color Carbon Black on my E46 m3.. its dark navy blue but has tint of purple on a sunny day to darker blue and almost blackish color at night... i loved it... thats why i got AB color for my MINI...