North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008-168/)
-   -   R55 Boot doors opening on their own? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008/163064-boot-doors-opening-on-their-own.html)

tacostrk 02-06-2009 11:44 AM

Boot doors opening on their own?

Anyone have this problem happen to them? Happened to me a few days ago and would not quit till I finally parked the car and locked the doors. Its been covered ever since and I havent checked again. I had just washed the car before it started happening not sure if that had anything to do with it.

TsPoet 02-06-2009 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by tacostrk (Post 2658110)
Anyone have this problem happen to them? Happened to me a few days ago and would not quit till I finally parked the car and locked the doors. Its been covered ever since and I havent checked again. I had just washed the car before it started happening not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Where was the key? I've found the doors open a number of times, I can always trace it back to a key left in the pocket, then me sitting down and presumably inadvertently depressing the unlock button.

bentyyc 02-06-2009 01:46 PM

I have also experienced this! Not sure if it's related at all to the "ticking" thread, but here's what happened to me:
  1. Washed car at a touchless car wash (yes, it was cold, and I was lazy)
  2. Drove home and started drying the car
  3. noticed a "rhythmic ticking sound" from the rear of the car; passenger's side
  4. Closed the barn doors
  5. Passenger side barn door pops open on its own
  6. Steps 4 & 5 repeated several times
  7. 8-10 minutes later, the ticking stopped
  8. Closed the barn door, and it stayed shut
Weird, eh? :confused:

treedog 02-06-2009 03:20 PM

My SA says she's had a couple of these. Something in the handle of the rear door? Mine has been a problem twice.

tacostrk 02-06-2009 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by TsPoet (Post 2658167)
Where was the key? I've found the doors open a number of times, I can always trace it back to a key left in the pocket, then me sitting down and presumably inadvertently depressing the unlock button.

The key was in my pocket and I was driving down the road. Forgot to mention that I have Comfort Access and was driving when it happened.

elegantmini 02-09-2009 05:51 AM

I've had this happen too, also just after washing the boot. Heard the same ticking sound from the passenger side rear. Closed the door/popped open again 3-4 more times. The car was not running so started it and took a short drive. I think this might reset the O B computer as I've "cured" a couple of other odd behaviors this way... so far so good.

schatzy62 02-09-2009 06:00 AM

This is actually a common problem reported here. The problem is water getting into the switch of the right door and shorting out the contacts and causing the door to open.

Take it back tot he dealer and have them wrap the wiring with sealing tape and clean out the button on the handle and your problem will go away.

Why they have not corrected this problem yet is beyond me but it is a less than 20 minute job for them so have it done.

tim781996 02-09-2009 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by schatzy62 (Post 2660787)
This is actually a common problem reported here. The problem is water getting into the switch of the right door and shorting out the contacts and causing the door to open.

Take it back tot he dealer and have them wrap the wiring with sealing tape and clean out the button on the handle and your problem will go away.

Why they have not corrected this problem yet is beyond me but it is a less than 20 minute job for them so have it done.

Thanks Eric. This happened to me two weeks ago. I took the car to the car wash and then I went to Home Depot. As I was driving away, the door popped open. The next time I'm in for services, I'll get it taken care of. Along with my dipping window, and my busted boot power outlet.

elegantmini 02-09-2009 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by tim781996 (Post 2660874)
Thanks Eric.

+1.
The dealership is a 3 hour drive away so I think I'll just be extra careful not to douse the boot (man, it gets dirty!!) and haul out the hair dryer if necessary, for now. Kinda reminds me of the times I had to dry the spark plug wires of my old Beetle after a downpour...

treedog 02-10-2009 03:55 AM

Currently I can not open the boot door unless I use the key fob.

schatzy62 02-10-2009 09:04 AM

It is possible that the switch connector for the switch has come undone. That would be the easy fix. if not the switch itself is probably bad. that means replacement of the hole door handle as they do not come aprt cleanly.

ClubmanS 02-10-2009 09:16 AM

Sounds like a problem with the electric door lock actuator and/or the wiring. I haven't had this problem.

elegantmini 02-13-2009 05:02 PM

Not good

It's been raining quite a bit the last few days and yesterday morning I came out to find the right boot door open again. Fortunately, there wasn't much water inside, but the boot light had been on and I was concerned about draining the battery. No problem, but now I'm concerned about being able to lock the car. Does anybody know if the other door handles are affected??

kuba_kuba 02-14-2009 11:10 AM

Happened to me a few times when i first picked the car up. A real hard slam seemed to solve the problem - maybe just knocked to moisture off?

r55jose 11-06-2022 10:08 AM

What was the solution.

Originally Posted by tim781996 (Post 2660874)
Thanks Eric. This happened to me two weeks ago. I took the car to the car wash and then I went to Home Depot. As I was driving away, the door popped open. The next time I'm in for services, I'll get it taken care of. Along with my dipping window, and my busted boot power outlet.

hey Tim I was curious as to what the solution is I have one that is a total lemon.