R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New roof rack base support for vehicles with roof rail option

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
New roof rack base support for vehicles with roof rail option

Roof rack system for vehicles with optional roof rail (386) is available as part number 82 71 0 435 867 MSRP is $209.95. All MINI attachments will fit the new cross rails.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:32 PM
chris.dg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume this is just a pair of crossbars?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Krut
6th Gear
That is correct.. it is just the cross members. All the accessories bolt on to it.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for the info. I am planning on speaking with Thule, just to compare prices, but appreciate knowing this is now available.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I'm guessing that this price probably doesn't include the actual clamps or "feet" portion? Just placed a call to my SA hoping he'll be able to help me or give me the Parts Dept. at their location.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Going up to take a look at these later in the afternoon. The price does include the parts that attach to the rails and is cheaper than the option I've discovered by Thule. Now that was a nice surprise! If we buy them, I'll take a photo once they're on.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Bought 'em and brought 'em back home. Here's a link to the photos, for those who might be interested. We haven't attached them yet because it was getting too cold outside. So we just rested them on top in order to take some shots. Also discovered afterwards, that there are two black rubber pieces that fit in the slots in the tops of the cross bars, as well as three "spoilers" about 3 1/2 inches by 3/8 of an inch underneath the front cross bar.

I think they look very nice and the price was right, especially with my handy 10% discount from MoFC. http://flickr.com/photos/otra/sets/72157609631424061/

Last edited by Otra; 11-21-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: better photo, more info
Old 11-21-2008, 03:18 PM
robbiecarman
1st Gear
awesome! They do look great. Is it just me or do they look like the aero bars from thule and not the regular square bars? If so I'm hoping that cuts down on noise/drag

Maybe my MA will give me a discount - Here that KRUT? (wink wink - he is my MA)

Old 11-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
I just came back from REI and they have all Thule products 20% off till Dec.1. Anyway I prefer the bars to extend a little farther than the MINI crossbars seem to go. Do the MINI racks include the locks?

Last edited by Surfink; 11-21-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: mistake in spelling
Old 11-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Yes, there are locks and they are built right into the the outside part, just above where it says MINI. I've just added a note to the close up photo.

As for the shape of the bars themselves, they are a flat oval about two inches wide. As I said, we didn't realize that there were black rubber inserts to go inside the slots...so the photos from above look silver, but ultimately they will have a black rubber strip inside.

I didn't want them to stick out farther, so that's another reason I went for these. No matter which cross bars you decide upon, the roof rails will do their job well.

P.S. Just edited the first photo's description on the Flicker set to put all this info in one place.

Last edited by Otra; 11-21-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Alphawave
/happy sigh
Such a fine looking Clubbie, Otra!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:31 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Bought 'em and brought 'em back home. Here's a link to the photos, for those who might be interested. We haven't attached them yet because it was getting too cold outside. So we just rested them on top in order to take some shots. Also discovered afterwards, that there are two black rubber pieces that fit in the slots in the tops of the cross bars, as well as three "spoilers" about 3 1/2 inches by 3/8 of an inch underneath the front cross bar.

I think they look very nice and the price was right, especially with my handy 10% discount from MoFC. http://flickr.com/photos/otra/sets/72157609631424061/

Wow - Those look fantastic! Very integral to the roof, like they were meant to be there. Makes me consider the rails next time around even though we don't really have a need for them. Great job all around! Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:02 PM
chris.dg
1st Gear
Otra - are you going to get a rooftop cargo box as well? If so, which one?

I already have a relatively new Yakima Skybox Pro 16 for my previous car, but I think it's going to be too big for the Mini.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks Alpha and 3Dog, you know how happy I am.

Chris.dg - how did I miss your HC with rails?!?! Did you post on the HC thread and the Show us your Clubman thread and I somehow missed it? Well, it looks great! Is that you caressing the leather seats on your Smug Mug photos? A real beauty!

On my Flicker set there's a photo showing the Thule Excursion box on our Volvo that we plan to use on the Clubman. We need to be able to fit bulky items like beach chairs, boogie boards, etc., and this box is great. It may look a bit large, but it should work fine and do the job. Here's the shot: I believe this is the box here, and you can see the dimensions. It is deeper than many of the boxes that one sees around. http://www.rei.com/product/769915?cm...:referralID=NA

Old 11-23-2008, 07:53 AM
chris.dg
1st Gear
Chris.dg - how did I miss your HC with rails?!?! Did you post on the HC thread and the Show us your Clubman thread and I somehow missed it? Well, it looks great! Is that you caressing the leather seats on your Smug Mug photos? A real beauty!
Thanks! Yep, I posted the pics to the HC Club thread (as well as in my support group thread), but not the "Show us" thread...didn't want to feel like I was spamming everywhere.

Haha, that's our 14-year-old son in the backseat...he loves the car.

Thanks for the info on the Thule. It's 26" shorter than my current box, so I'll have to test mine out once my crossbars are received. My box is 81" long, which appears to be pretty close to the entire length of the clubman roof based upon my quick and dirty measurement...but it's the minumum distance between the crossbars for my box which might be an issue for me.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Very cute photo of your son. You can haul that out someday down the line and show it to him. Indoctrination can never start too early!

I'll check out some more of your posts and let us know how the box fitting goes, too.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robbiecarman
awesome! They do look great. Is it just me or do they look like the aero bars from thule and not the regular square bars? If so I'm hoping that cuts down on noise/drag

Maybe my MA will give me a discount - Hear that KRUT? (wink wink - he is my MA)
Sure.. 10 percent with a DCMM club membership! :-) I do have the part numbers.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
BuzzCut1
3rd Gear
Another option

I fit the Thule 1054 mounts to the 09 Clubman S factory rails and used 50" cross bars. Fits perfectly and tightly:clapping:

Old 12-12-2008, 06:27 AM
PA Mini
1st Gear
Krut,
Thanks for the part number

Otra,
Thanks for the photos

Just picked up my cross bars from Mini parts this am. Just in time to pick up the Xmas tree. My wife asked "can't we just put it on the roof and tie it to the roof rails?" Over my dead body!

Now I can load it onto the cross bars, but I will have to look out for and clean up any sap drips asap! I think I am coming down with OCD!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 AM
chris.dg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PA Clubman
Krut,
Thanks for the part number

Otra,
Thanks for the photos

Just picked up my cross bars from Mini parts this am. Just in time to pick up the Xmas tree. My wife asked "can't we just put it on the roof and tie it to the roof rails?" Over my dead body!

Now I can load it onto the cross bars, but I will have to look out for and clean up any sap drips asap! I think I am coming down with OCD!
Woah. Even with the crossbars, I would wrap that tree in a sheet of canvas, cloth, or plastic before loading it on the roof. Branches can easily scratch, and sap can drip. Maybe an old bedsheet?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Yup, I'd be OCD too and make sure the tree was wrapped up and covered, too.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 PM
PA Mini
1st Gear
Just got home from picking up xmas tree. No problem with branches, since tree was put into a nylon netting "sock". Also top of cross bars is aobut 6 inches above roof, after mounting on rails.

Wrapped base of tree (fresh cut) in plastic grocery bag to avoid sap drips. Worked fine.

Got home, lifted tree off rack, took rack off and now I am back to just the roof rail look. Rack mounts and removes easily. Nice design.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 AM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but we just bought a Clubman S off the local dealer's lot and it does not have the roof rails. I wonder if they can be added, and what it might cost.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by paulsminis
Pardon my ignorance, but we just bought a Clubman S off the local dealer's lot and it does not have the roof rails. I wonder if they can be added, and what it might cost.
Unfortunately the Roof Rails can not be added to a car that does not have them.

You can however get the Base Roof Rack System which is a removable and look like what is on my car.

There is a stick thread that has better mounting instructions than what come with the Kit here.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-roofrack.html

Old 12-17-2008, 09:26 AM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the link-- that's a great write up.

Quick Reply: R55 New roof rack base support for vehicles with roof rail option