North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008-168/)
-   -   R55 Can I reuse my oil? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008/157831-can-i-reuse-my-oil.html)

beasleyboy 11-11-2008 04:54 AM

Can I reuse my oil?

Please read the whole thing before thinking I've gone nuts. I read a thread and several other message boards (not all were MINI boards) about people who bought brand-spanking-new cars. Quite a few used magnetic drain plugs to clean the shavings out of the engine from when the factory bored out the engine cylinder holes. I plan to install one but my car hasn't even hit 1,000 yet.

Can I filter the oil out and pour it back in without any harm after installing the new drain plug? There's no way to turn my car upside down so I can avoid spilling anything.:lol: Can I also just dry out the filter and re-install it? Remember, my car has not even hit 1,000 miles.

leicaguy 11-11-2008 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by beasleyboy (Post 2547023)
Please read the whole thing before thinking I've gone nuts. I read a thread and several other message boards (not all were MINI boards) about people who bought brand-spanking-new cars. Quite a few used magnetic drain plugs to clean the shavings out of the engine from when the factory bored out the engine cylinder holes. I plan to install one but my car hasn't even hit 1,000 yet.

Can I filter the oil out and pour it back in without any harm after installing the new drain plug? There's no way to turn my car upside down so I can avoid spilling anything.:lol: Can I also just dry out the filter and re-install it? Remember, my car has not even hit 1,000 miles.

I wouldn't bother. Many people like to change the oil at the 1000-1500 mile range anyway. Spend a few extra bucks and save yourself the headach and big mess.

on2wheels 11-11-2008 05:38 AM

Up to you but no, I wouldn't do it. Especially the filter. Once out it stays out. Filters are cheap compared to the price of an engine. I would wait and install the drain plug with the first oil change. First change I did was at 2600 miles and had to force myself to wait that long as it seems the general consensus is to keep the break in oil in there a while. Changed my oil yesterday for the second time with 9K on the clock.

Just my thoughts on the subject for whatever it's worth...

tim781996 11-11-2008 05:42 AM

No.

digi0123 11-11-2008 05:48 AM

warranty = void

RaceFace 11-11-2008 07:44 AM

No. Magnetic drain plugs and oil filters still don't catch everything. Change it all....and change it while the oil is still warm. Oil has suspension properties in it and changing it while its warm helps get the rest of the shavings and other stuff out of the motor.

Oxybluecoop 11-11-2008 07:54 AM

:no:

STLMINI 11-11-2008 08:02 AM

An oil change, if you do it yourself, should cost you less than $30 including the filter. CHEAP insurance if you ask me.

leicaguy 11-11-2008 09:12 AM

and BTW: even if you did reuse the oil (which I still recommend against) why would you be removing the oil filter? Every oil filter comes with a new rubber "O" ring which leads me to think it isn't wise to try to reuse one. Again, I recommend against the whole idea but recommend in strongest terms against removing and reinstalling the same filter.

maacodale 11-11-2008 09:13 AM

If I read it right he's looking to add a magnetic drain plug now and wants to just reuse the original oil that's in it now. If that's the case, I would think it would be fine. Especially since the car only had about 1000 miles. I just wouldn't reuse oil with any more miles than that.

tim781996 11-11-2008 09:23 AM

Actually, after thinking about this a bit, I remember an episode of the Red Green Show where Red Green did this exact same thing. It seems like an okay thing to do as long as you do it the same way he did it:

basil49 11-11-2008 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by on2wheels (Post 2547054)
I would wait and install the drain plug with the first oil change.

+1

MLPearson79 11-11-2008 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by on2wheels (Post 2547054)
I would wait and install the drain plug with the first oil change.

Agreed, I did my first change around 2500. I would just wait and change the plug then.

Alphawave 11-11-2008 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by tim781996 (Post 2547250)
Actually, after thinking about this a bit, I remember an episode of the Red Green Show where Red Green did this exact same thing. It seems like an okay thing to do as long as you do it the same way he did it

"If women don't find you handsome...." :razz: I'll confess to actually forgetting to re-install the drain plug before adding my first fresh quart...I justified the spill to the wife by explaining the fresh oil drains out the last of the old oil...yes, 'she finds me handy'!

Beasley, spring for new oil. :nod:

portablevcb 11-11-2008 01:59 PM

Please, your car does not have 'break in' oil. It does not have to changed early (but, you are free to do so if you wish). Remember that you need synthetic oil. The oil in your car is std Castrol synthetic oil (according to the sticker in ours). You can safely leave it in there for quite a long time.

NEVER reuse an oil filter. Once it is off, throw it away.

IMHO, magnetic drain plugs are useless. Oil filters are there for a purpose and they work. Yeah, you might see some metal shavings on a drain plug. If you want to see even more take apart an oil filter. And, don't forget too that any aluminum bits (or bearing material) won't be attracted to it :)

Oil change intervals are up to you. I don't plan on doing one for a long time, at least 10k mi.

charlie

rockhouse 11-11-2008 04:23 PM

Amen Porta.

Relax & drive.