North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008-168/)
-   -   R55 melting hood scoop (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008/156507-melting-hood-scoop.html)

ART ED 10-19-2008 03:33 PM

melting hood scoop

Today I just noticed that the hood scoop intake has a slight dent in it where it appears to be melting from the heat of the turbo. Anyone else had an issue with this yet? I tend to be very analytical with my rides and keep a very close eye on them as they age. This one looks to be a problem for others down the road or has already been a problem for some? The indent is very subtle, but is definately caving in.:cry: :eek: :confused:

LadyGodiva 10-19-2008 03:36 PM

YUP!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ing+hood+scoop

Christian MD 10-22-2008 07:31 PM

I just had mine replaced by the dealer. I called MINI USA and their answer was to have it replaced by the dealer when it happens. I asked if they have a solution and their answer was they are working on it. Same old answer.

RaceFace 10-24-2008 03:34 PM

I just noticed ours last night while washing it. If the dealer replaces it for 0 cost, then I'm off to the dealer monday

LordRybo 10-24-2008 03:46 PM

Does the chrome scoop suffer the same fate as the stock scoop?

Dead Ringer 10-25-2008 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by RaceFace (Post 2524048)
I just noticed ours last night while washing it. If the dealer replaces it for 0 cost, then I'm off to the dealer monday

I would call them, they most likely wont have it in stock & will have to order you one which takes a few weeks (well mine did).

Dead Ringer 10-25-2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by LordRybo (Post 2524064)
Does the chrome scoop suffer the same fate as the stock scoop?

I heard that it does not, neither does the carbon fiber. I bought the WMW turbo wrap for this reason.

ART ED 10-26-2008 04:19 AM

My dealer said the newer scoops are vented to alleviate the problem. They will be replacing mine free of charge.:thumbsup:

Christian MD 10-27-2008 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dead Ringer (Post 2525553)
I heard that it does not, neither does the carbon fiber. I bought the WMW turbo wrap for this reason.

Who carries the turbo wrap ???

Dead Ringer 10-27-2008 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Christian MD (Post 2527995)
Who carries the turbo wrap ???

way motor sports

taskmaxter 10-27-2008 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ART ED (Post 2525616)
My dealer said the newer scoops are vented to alleviate the problem. They will be replacing mine free of charge.:thumbsup:

I had a vented scoop and mine still melted. On my second one now....

Dead Ringer 10-27-2008 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by taskmaxter (Post 2528053)
I had a vented scoop and mine still melted. On my second one now....

yes this is true, even the "new" vented ones still melt. The newer 08's & 09's have this "vented" scoop (mine has one) and its melted, get he WMW wrap, problem solved. And its good, helps keep the "hot" side of the turbo hot, which helps it scavenge out the exhaust and that is the whole key to the best turbo performance.. :thumbsup:

taskmaxter 10-28-2008 08:20 AM

I'll probably wrap mine after the warranty is up. I'd like to see some further data over time if the wrap causes any type of premature turbo failure on cars it has been on. Also, from speaking to my local MINI service guy, if I did have a failed turbo with it on there then it wouldn't be covered under warranty (though, I guess I could always throw a better aftermarket turbo on there instead if it crapped out).

Until then, MINI can keep replacing my melted scoops for free under the warranty.

Dead Ringer 10-28-2008 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by taskmaxter (Post 2528808)
(though, I guess I could always throw a better aftermarket turbo on there instead if it crapped out).

now your thinking the correct way! :nod:

Mr Ray 10-28-2008 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dead Ringer (Post 2528151)
yes this is true, even the "new" vented ones still melt. The newer 08's & 09's have this "vented" scoop (mine has one) and its melted, get he WMW wrap, problem solved. And its good, helps keep the "hot" side of the turbo hot, which helps it scavenge out the exhaust and that is the whole key to the best turbo performance.. :thumbsup:

What differances have you noticed with the turbo wrap? Havent had my scoop melt yet and still waiting for the chrome one to come in. The hood does get extreamly hot after a long run, although I havent had any days above 75* yet.

lilliux 10-29-2008 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by taskmaxter (Post 2528808)
I'll probably wrap mine after the warranty is up. I'd like to see some further data over time if the wrap causes any type of premature turbo failure on cars it has been on. Also, from speaking to my local MINI service guy, if I did have a failed turbo with it on there then it wouldn't be covered under warranty (though, I guess I could always throw a better aftermarket turbo on there instead if it crapped out).

Until then, MINI can keep replacing my melted scoops for free under the warranty.

If the turbo fails, and you take the wrap off and take it in. How would they now that the wrap was on to begin with?

hfs3 10-29-2008 06:07 PM

My melted scoop was replaced with a JCW carbon fiber scoop at ~2,000 miles. Now at 7,000 and it hasn't dipped in the slightest. I'd consider the heat shield, but not sure I want to mess with the turbo wrap while I'm under warranty. I did Dremel out the honeycomb in the scoop where it was blocked, as mine was partially open to begin with. Heading into the fall/winter season here in MA, I don't expect things to get too hot until May/June. We'll see what happens then!