North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008-168/)
-   -   R55 Clubman on Foxnews (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r55-clubman-talk-2008/145444-clubman-on-foxnews.html)

donaldj 06-26-2008 10:01 AM

Clubman on Foxnews

http://www.foxnews.com/us/foxcarreport/index.html

tim781996 06-26-2008 10:21 AM

I have no idea if that was a positive or negative review.

whiff 06-26-2008 10:28 AM

Not too informative, but then again it is fox news :lol:

donaldj 06-26-2008 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by tim781996 (Post 2327700)
I have no idea if that was a positive or negative review.

Hmmm... maybe they were going for Fair and Balanced? :razz:

mrmagoo 06-26-2008 10:44 AM

I thought it was funny when he parked within an inch of the next car and had a problem opening the "barn doors"...heck you can't even open a trunk hatch if you are that close!

rexicon 06-26-2008 10:45 AM

Did Bill O'Reilly write this?

e92miami 06-26-2008 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by whiff (Post 2327719)
Not too informative, but then again it is fox news :lol:

You mean "Faux news", "Fixed news" or "Fox noise" Or why not just call it what it really is....propaganda and lies.

ngweibing 06-26-2008 11:16 AM

hhhmm... not conclusive...:popcorn:

donaldj 06-26-2008 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by e92miami (Post 2327790)
You mean "Faux news", "Fixed news" or "Fox noise" Or why not just call it what it really is....propaganda and lies.

Actually, a few different fairness-in-reporting studies were done on Fox News. I'll try to find them. In most cases, it was deemed that Foxnews wasn't conservative per se, but rather that CNN, NBC, ABC, etc were so far left leaning that Foxnews was conservative in comparison.

Until Foxnews came about, though, most news shows were more liberal in reporting bias, and many of the left and far-left resent Foxnews not because of their reporting, but blame the news source for the loss of the monopoly the Left had on news reporting. It is forcing most news sources back to center because there is now a way to juxtapose against one another.

Please note I'm not saying which side is right or wrong, just what some alternate views are. I'm not a Foxnews believer of hater.

e92miami 06-26-2008 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by donaldj (Post 2327915)
Actually, a few different fairness-in-reporting studies were done on Fox News. I'll try to find them. In most cases, it was deemed that Foxnews wasn't conservative per se, but rather that CNN, NBC, ABC, etc were so far left leaning that Foxnews was conservative in comparison.

Until Foxnews came about, though, most news shows were more liberal in reporting bias, and many of the left and far-left resent Foxnews not because of their reporting, but blame the news source for the loss of the monopoly the Left had on news reporting. It is forcing most news sources back to center because there is now a way to juxtapose against one another.

Please note I'm not saying which side is right or wrong, just what some alternate views are. I'm not a Foxnews believer of hater.

Who said anything about being conservative or liberal? I just said they are are propaganda and often times lie.

http://www.outfoxed.org/

They have fox video proof of many many lies.

It can be possible to be conservate "leaning" and still tell the truth....its a shame that isn't Faux news.

Edge 06-26-2008 11:56 AM

OK, enough of the "left/right" media discussion please. Pro or con, Fox, CNN, ABC, MSNBC or otherwise.

Back on track - please stick to talking about the review itself.

Political discussion is not permitted on NAM for a reason, and this is a very fast slippery slope to be on.

DragonWagon 06-26-2008 12:28 PM

I lean to the middle, you bunch of Hippies and millioinaires!:)

Watch multiple news sources to get the big picture.
Don't forget to R-E-A-D.

e92miami 06-26-2008 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 2327975)
OK, enough of the "left/right" media discussion please. Pro or con, Fox, CNN, ABC, MSNBC or otherwise.

Back on track - please stick to talking about the review itself.

Political discussion is not permitted on NAM for a reason, and this is a very fast slippery slope to be on.

Again, I'm not talking left or right, never did. :lol: I'm just stating a fact of a TV station reporting lies. I want to inform people not piss them off. :impatient:

I agree with DragonWagon :thumbsup:

Watch multiple "actual" news sources to get the big picture. Don't forget to R-E-A-D.

Edge 06-26-2008 01:23 PM

Any more posts in this thread that aren't talking about the video review itself, or the Clubman in general... will cause the thread to be closed, and an infraction issued to the offender.

Don't get defensive, don't respond, don't drag it on. Enough - back on topic! :roll:

e92miami 06-26-2008 01:35 PM

Ohh and yeah the review sucked too...:lol:

Someone should tell the reporter you can't get a BMW for 33k, Maybe the smaller 1 series but a horrible comparison and who parks a car 2 inches away from another. :sly:

No surprise here. :grin:

Otra 06-26-2008 01:36 PM

At first I just watched the video and came away feeling it was not what I'd call a real review, but that on the whole it was pretty positive...then I read the full piece and did feel that the reviewer had his opinions set before driving and/or writing. There seemed to be a number of assumptions he made about the "type" of people who'd by or drive a Clubman - or let alone a MINI...in this way it reminded me of another review...the one where the reviewer kept talking about people who lived in Brooklyn Heights or something like that. I felt that the review was very narrow in its scope.

I'm going back to JD Powers: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...r_apeal/3.html :wink:

tim781996 06-26-2008 07:28 PM

Well after attending MTTS in Boston, hanging out in these forums, and meeting random MINI owners in parking lots, I can tell you that MINIs are owned by all types of people.

rexicon 06-26-2008 07:34 PM

I guess the Clubman is as polarizing as Fox/the review itself.

Why else would a reviewer try to ding point unnecessarily for not being able to park 2" away from somebody else's bumper?

jointheclubman 06-26-2008 09:56 PM

I take all Fox "News" with a grain of salt.

SirParlan 06-28-2008 12:49 AM

The review stank. Some good and some bad which is fine but overall it was worthless. If it was my first look at this car I would not know if I should look into this or stay away from it. And the whole "you can't get anything out of the boot if you park too close" thing was a total joke.

ART ED 06-28-2008 04:33 AM

Frankly I am getting tired of them blasting the clubman because of its price when opted out fully. The same rings true with most other fully loaded autos regardless of brand. You get what you pay for and mine was worth its weight in gold as far as I am concerned. This is truly a great, fun, and practical car for a fair price. If you want cheap, go buy a chevy cobalt and remain unimpressed and uninspired the rest of your driving days. Oh, and let's not forget the terrible service that so many auto makers don't provide! Mini service is top notch. It is the one thing that brought me over to the brand in the first place after having been GM loyal for most of my life.

Mini S Pilot 06-28-2008 05:48 AM

Who in the world is going to park that close:eek: to another car?:roll: The reporters point about the back doors not being able to open was stupid to say the least.:popcorn: Park the proper distance from other cars and that's not a problem,:thumbsup: DAH.:roll:

donaldj 06-28-2008 07:02 AM

Easy target on paper

It's pretty easy to bash MINI's, all in all. They are small, and on paper they're fantastically overpriced. A decked out MINI is very expensive for a 4 cylinder car.

I think it's clear that journalist had preconceived notions on the car before the investigation. But, you have to drive it to understand it. People think it's an economy car. I think it's a performance car that happens to get excellent mileage, but it is a performance car FIRST.

I also think MINI and the Clubman take a lot of flak because the brand has marketed itself on being small. Now, they deny their marketing and make a bigger one? Then, it's not big enough to make a difference to some folks? Then the (not so)Smart Car comes out and undercuts MINI's smallness?

It becomes easy to ridicule the car and company on paper. Mini isn't the smallest, and they have a big one, and it's expensive. But until you drive one, you won't get it.

At work we have an old muscle car guy. He named his kid "Chevy". Really. He laughed and laughed and made fun of me and my Mini. The usual jokes. I'm 6'3" and he doesn't think I fit in it. He thought I was joking when I told him I could move the seat far enough back to not operate the clutch. I finally got him out to look at it in depth, and even drive him around our industrial park, which is VERY curvy. I may have driven the Mini a bit hard, but he saw that it handled in a way far superior to his old muscle boat, and that it did indeed have decent acceleration. After the ride, I was hoping he'd understand the car a bit better, but he ended the ride with more than I thought: respect for the vehicle.

As a whole, I think most car companies that have been one-product have always taken a lot of heat on their second designs. Hummer, Jeep, and Saturn are some I can think of in the recent past. They started out with a strong product and added some later. The second and subsequent products "weren't really" what the first one was in the public's eye. To an old Jeeper, the Grand Cherokee was to get out of potholes at the mall. I think this is the same thing Mini is going through with the Clubman.

My prediction is that we'll see the Clubman, or another addition, evolve into the minivan market, akin to VW Beetle and Microbus. With gas prices up high, and the SUV pronounced dead, the Minivan is poised for a comeback.

PepperSClubman 06-28-2008 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by donaldj (Post 2327915)

Actually reporters tend to be liberals even if their reporting is unbiased. Its called professionalism. Fox news hasn't heard of it. Have you?

The act of journalism is fundamentally un-conservative. Exposing the truth is anti-authoritarian and anti-traditionalist more often than not. A conservative journalist is an oxymoron. That's why Fox news insists that it is "fair and balanced." I call it marketing for Fascism.

P.S. Cute review. Tho I agree about the scene where he parks so close to the other car. Fair and Balanced?

PepperSClubman 06-28-2008 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 2328187)
Any more posts in this thread that aren't talking about the video review itself, or the Clubman in general... will cause the thread to be closed, and an infraction issued to the offender.

Don't get defensive, don't respond, don't drag it on. Enough - back on topic! :roll:

Sorry I didn't read every post before responding. Tho in fairness u should've closed the thread already if it's such a big deal.

The context of the review is absolutely relevant IMO. It's not like anyone's cursing each other. People are going to comment anytime Fox news is a source of "information". If you have to threaten posters with "infraction" u should've closed the thread already.