R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 What color roof did you get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:20 AM
moclubman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What color roof did you get?

I have a BRG Clubman on order with body color roof and black C pillar trim. After looking through the online galleries it appears that most Clubman owners have opted for either a black (most frequent) or silver roof. I was curious if any of you struggled with what color the roof/trim should be? My concern is that the C pillar trim in black with a green roof will look out of place, whereas a black roof and trim would look more seamless/integrated.

Thanks yall.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:27 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver was the clear choice for me. I am not too crazy about the black painted bits on the rear of black roof Clubmans.

Silver looks nicer (to my eyes) easier to maintain and better suited for our hot climate. I had a MINI with a black roof before and the car was way too hot inside for my liking.

It is all a matter of choice. Some folks have opted for body matching colored roofs (Which you can get with either silver or black rear bits).

Last edited by ClubmanS; 05-14-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:29 AM
jonabad
2nd Gear
The C pillar/boot halo effect has grown on me over time, but it was definitely distracting at first.

I'm not sure why I didn't consider body color roof, but I decided on the silver over the black as the contrasting roof is part of what makes a Mini a Mini to me and the black roof/c-pillar seemed too harsh on the lightning blue.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:36 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I think the black roof works best against Chili Red, Laser blue, Mellow Yellow, Pure Silver and Dark Silver, Sparkling silver.

Otherwise it tones down too much other colors. I think Silver roof works best with Hot Chocolate, Lighting Blue, British Racing Green and Astro Black.

+1 on the contrasting roof. To me this is what makes a MINI a MINI. Every other car out there has a matching roof body color. Why should the MINI follow on that trend? Dare to be different!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 AM
hfs3
3rd Gear
I chose a Dark Silver body/roof combo with the thought that I could always have the black pillars, etc. painted in body color if I felt the need. About a week after I placed the order, I had second thoughts and considered changing to a black roof - I thought it looked more British, and would make the sunroof less conspicuous. But, when I called my MA he told me it was too late to make the change, and gave me my production number. Despite a momentary moment of regret, I happily immersed myself in my original choice. After seeing so many people choosing the black or silver roof, I realized that my MINI would be just that little bit more unique.

Last edited by hfs3; 05-14-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 AM
OWG
5th Gear
We went SS/SS/Black - Body color roof works for us. Visually you get a dark band between the roof and the body, effectively lowering the roof line.

We liked it!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
I have a sparkling silver body ordered and thank god that when I went to the dealer to finalize the order and drop off a check, a Clubman was parked right outside the door with a silver roof. I had decided that this color made the most sense for the roof for heat gain reasons.

It just didn't look right. The black roof was the ticket for me and I have ordered that way.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
I went with BRG and Black roof/rear trim. Down the road, I may consider color-matching the rear and have the roof sprayed white, which is what we really wanted.

The BRG is a pretty dark color so I think that the green roof will look just fine, if that is really what you want. Maybe you could get the green roof and color match the rear after delivery. I think there is a site that will color-match for ~$350 with an exchange of your old parts.

Regards,
Terry

Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Doogs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
+1 on the contrasting roof. To me this is what makes a MINI a MINI. Every other car out there has a matching roof body color.
This. I'd never consider ordering a MINI with anything but a contrasting roof.

IMO, the black roof looks better with the "light" colors (Pepper White, Mellow Yellow, Chili Red, all seventeen silvers...), and the silver roof looks better with the "dark" colors (Lightning Blue, Hot Chocolate, BRG, AB).

Personally, I went with a black roof this time around, as I prefer the red/black look to red/silver.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thank goodness MINI gives us all these choices, eh?

I love the look of my BRG/Black, but I could easily see finding the BRG roof very attractive...and on it goes.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I went with the silver because it was the closest thing to white for my BRG Clubbie. I traded in "Little Green Car"(pronounced with Russian accent) which was an '05 BRG/White MC and I got that because it had the same color combination of one of the first Minis I can remember noticing in the late 60's/early 70's. Black roofs are too hot here in the lower states but I bet they are great up north. Pepper white and silver is another wonderful combo if you have silver bonnet/boot/halo stripes.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
I did what you did. BRG body / roof and black pillars. I'm getting the "S", and to be different I also skipped the stripes and when with the chrome scoop.

I really like the BRG. More seemed better, and it'll be a little non-standard for the S.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 AM
outnumbered
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hfs3
I chose a Dark Silver body/roof combo with the thought that I could always have the black pillars, etc. painted in body color if I felt the need. About a week after I placed the order, I had second thoughts and considered changing to a black roof - I thought it looked more British, and would make the sunroof less conspicuous. But, when I called my MA he told me it was too late to make the change, and gave me my production number. Despite a momentary moment of regret, I happily immersed myself in my original choice. After seeing so many people choosing the black or silver roof, I realized that my MINI would be just that little bit more unique.
Ditto on the same body/roof color . My initial order was DS/black roof. However after going to the Deals Gap event, it seemed as if every other Mini was DS. So I changed to a Lightning blue body/roof combo with silver sport stripes. I haven't seen one with this combo yet.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Doogs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Thank goodness MINI gives us all these choices, eh?
Amen to that! I may have my own preferences for roof and body combos, but I don't begrudge others who don't see eye to eye.

Man, I wish the rest of the country could be so tolerant!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:31 AM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
I went with the silver roof and DS body. I like the looks of black but after owning a black car, I want NOTHING to do with any black on a car ever again!

The silver also tied in well with my rims and I thought it was easier on the eyes too. With both colors I went with, you cant tell when its dirty.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Your last sentence is my only regret on my color choice because I'm basically quite lazy when it comes to washing my MINI...but somehow I forgot about the dirt factor. Oh well - it's going to be a new pass time, I guess. Though with my PW/B the roof was never an issue.

P.S. And Amen to wishing the "rest of the country could be so tolerant" Doogs!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Joep
6th Gear
I went/going with a PW body and Black roof and trim. I personally liked the contrast. Thinking back, each of my final choices had black roofs and trim (HC/B, DS/B and BW/P).

Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 AM
hardingsan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by outnumbered
So I changed to a Lightning blue body/roof combo with silver sport stripes. I haven't seen one with this combo yet.

strange, this was one of the two options i've been contemplating.

the other choice to be lightning blue with a silver roof. my main question is if a tint shop could tint the sunroofs to match the silver roof, and if so, how would it end up looking...?

Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 PM
fastfritz
2nd Gear
Went hc/hc roof with silver halo. Ordered it site unseen. As yet I haven't had the pleasure of seeing a clubman in the real. Went with total tuscan beige....
wifes first choice, but I got the 6 speed manual. Ah the art of compromise.Sometimes we don't get what we want completely. I'm sure I can live with the tuscan bneige. Big switch from all my MINIs having full UJ flags.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
I went with the silver roof and C pillars on my Lightning Blue Clubbie. At first I didn't like the c pillars and bumper in silver (and thought about swapping them out for black ones) but they've grown on me the past couple of weeks and think I'm going to stay silver on the back.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:51 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Black!

Matched the A, B, and C pillars, and made the car look more sinister.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
MIB was a 2006 R50 in Astro Black Monotone. I loved the way it looked.

MIB had a HOT interior. Especially in the summer time. I regretted the fact that I could have gone silver or white (as in 2006 you could get either choice). The contrasting roof color would have helped.

And the best reason for adding a contrasting roof color... it is a FREE (No Cost) Option back in 2006, as it is today! FREE from MINI is GOOD!

If you look at the specs of my next MINI (see my sig) I have seen the light.

I understand that the Contrasting bits on the rear of the Clubbie are relatively simple to remove and thus have painted. IMHO MINI should have given us the option of the funky color bits on the back of the Clubbie or not.

Last edited by DrDiff; 05-14-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Otra
6th Gear
So have you decided then? Is Paddy to be a Clubman?

Old 05-14-2008, 02:45 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I can't decide.... R55 S or R56 S

I have two sons 7 and 4. The 7 year old is growing like a weed. He is the tallest in his class, and just graduated from Tiger Cubs to Cub Scouts (I am honored as I am an Eagle Scout). I see lots of campouts in my future.

My 4 year old hasn't decided if he wants to do the scouting thing. He has autism/aspbergers syndrome and needs team activies rather than individual activities such as scouting.

The extra space of a Clubbie would be nice but is not needed 100% of the time, as that I only have them every other weekend.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 PM
moclubman
2nd Gear
Thank you for all the posts. I really like the black roof and think it, paired with black trim and black wheels, would look mean and purposeful. However, I like the playful nature of a silver roof. I will not be getting a sunroof as I don't like the level of sun that gets through the mesh screen, so whatever color I go with, there will be lots of it to see!

I know this sounds really silly, but if the bonnet stripes were painted on, I would instantly go with the black roof as the whole package looks perfect. I cannot mentally commit to vinyl stripes on the car at this time.

As an aside, I really wish MINI offered black painted wheels as a no cost option. I think white is a no cost option on some trim levels.

Quick Reply: R55 What color roof did you get?