R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman commericials - worst EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman commericials - worst EVER!

Just finished watching the Clubman commercials on MINIUSA Owners Lounge. All are based around the annoying song 'One of these things are not like the other.'

Are they really trying to make the point that the Clubman is fat, ugly and bloated? Surely they could have done a better job! I mean a fat belly flopper, a gorilla, baboon and such. Come on, MINI, fire that ad team and start over!

The only one that did not remotely insult the car was the last one with the person in the bunny suit. Yes, I find them insulting to the car!!

I could see the ads working if they showed something hauling more stuff but still being fun to drive.

Please, MINI, do not show these ads on TV. There are THAT bad!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
I just saw the one that you're talking about, and I've seen several others involving small farm animals, puppies, a slab of steak, various species of birds. I don't see them the same way as you. If MINI was saying that the Clubman is like a fat man in this commercial, then they're saying that it's like a turtle with a fizzed out rocket strapped to its shell in another, and like a slab of steak in another. I think you're taking this commercial too literally.

My interpretation of the commercials is that the MINI is different, and that their marketing department is different.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
It's also not like a giant bunny rabbit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC4SqqYXVJs

Last edited by tim781996; 02-08-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 PM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
While I am not interpretating them as literal, I do think the imagery of three models and then the gorilla with the Clubman taking the place of the gorilla, leaves a lot to be desired.

I should say I am an engineer and imagery is usually lost on me. But that one is blantantly bad. It is like they had a democratic in charge of doing a republican ad.

BTW - I like the giant rabbit one. Cute. It was really the model/gorilla one that sent me over the edge.

I still say these stink and should be redone. Use the pinball one, much better!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:03 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe they spent money to make those. I think the idea is sound but the execution is terrible. Look at past commercials; like dueling MINIs, the tattoo of the changing MINI, any of the ones with the Bulldog. Those were entertaining. This new batch of flops is just bad.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Oh my! I thought the company I work for came out with some lame commercials but the Mini Clubman commercials take the cake.

I guess they figure that those that want a Clubman will buy regardless of the commercial.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
pretty darn bad *nod*

perhaps everyone should let mini know.

1-866-ask-mini

Old 02-08-2008, 07:25 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
One question though: Where are they airing these commercials? I haven't seen any on TV, only the web. My thought was that they directed toward a European audience, and we all know that we have a different sense of humor in the US than in Europe.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
One question though: Where are they airing these commercials? I haven't seen any on TV, only the web. My thought was that they directed toward a European audience, and we all know that we have a different sense of humor in the US than in Europe.

Nope, they were made right here in the US by the new MINIUSA agency based in Sausalito, CA, BSSP.

I think they suck. CP+B the previous Miami based agency had incredible marketing campaign!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aaaacccckkkkk.....yyyyuuuccckkkk.... Really bad MINIUSA!

Donna

Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
I did not like any of the 5 versions. No entertainment value at all. I forced myself to watch 3, 4, and 5 just to give it a chance, but like the Clubman, the commercials did NOT meet my expectations. MINI-haters now have material to use with their Dumba** Clown Car Jokes!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:22 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What were they thinking????

Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
I received an e-mail from MINIUSA giving a sneak peek to current MINI Owners. So I don't believe these have aired in the U.S. yet. As for as international MINI Commercials are concerned, all the ones I have seen are laugh-outloud outrageous!!! Maybe the lack of censoring and relaxed sense of humor overseas contributes to better commercials out there. I especially like the "Lots of Space" and "Tug That Tassle" commercials. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did these commercials air in the U.S.? Whether or not they still more clever and entertaining than the current Clubman ads.

I wish I could figure out how to link YouTube clips, but with a little search effort you can find the above mentioned commercials.

Last edited by True Joy; 02-08-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by True Joy
I received an e-mail from MINIUSA giving a sneak peek to current MINI Owners. So I don't believe these have aired in the U.S. yet. As for as international MINI Commercials are concerned, all the ones I have seen are laugh-outloud outrageous!!! Maybe the lack of censoring and relaxed sense of humor overseas contributes to better commercials out there. I especially like the "Lots of Space" and "Tug That Tassle" commercials. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did these commercials air in the U.S.? Whether or not they still more clever and entertaining than the current Clubman ads.

I wish I could figure out how to link YouTube clips, but with a little search effort you can find the above mentioned commercials.
I love "Lots of Space" and "Tug that Tassle" but that might be a bit much for the US audience.
Here is my favorite Clubman ad from Germany as found on YouTube.
Titled: What Happens In A Clubman

Below I have added two of my all time favorites that Mini should have patterned their next commercials after.
The one on the left is called "Flirt" and the one on the right is "Dueling Minis"

Old 02-09-2008, 05:02 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
My wife wants a Clubman, but she said these ads are SO bad that they could convince her to not buy one.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:45 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Wow... umm, that's "lots of space" commercial is pretty hot. I can only imagine what they were implying... cause that's all my wife will allow me to do.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:35 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Actually, all worldwide Clubman related marketing materials are being handled by BSSP in San Francisco. While I am not doubting the talent (and passion for MINIs) of some of the fine folks that work there, as a collective, this ad agency seems to be pretty much hit or miss.

I was never impressed with the rather tacky and dumb "Hammer & Coop" R56 ad launch campaign last year either.

The original MINIUSA ad agency, Crispin, Porter + Bogusky was head and shoulders a much superior operation in comparison to BSSP. I still think CP+B produced the finest MINI marketing of all time. Too bad the goons decided to suddenly drop the MINIUSA account (Which was around worth $40 million at the time) and dumped them in favor of Volkswagen of America with a much bigger budget, in the $400 million range.

Interestingly, the CP+B and Volkswagen marketing relationship has produced very mixed results and "down the tubes" these folks are still regretting abruptly dumping MINIUSA.

The problem with VW is steale, so-so product (Except the GTI which seems the only enthusiast tuned offering at the moment). Great marketing can only do so much to sugarcoat mediocre product. Before it was a great combination of outstanding creativity and superb product they had when they handled the MINI account.

My prediction is that if BSSP continues to put out this kind of garbage out there (And please whomever in MINIUSA is signing off on this should probably be fired or demoted) this relationship will be short lived.

Time will tell.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Super dooper lamo!

It's been a few years since I touched a video camera (used to produce a local cable access show). I could do a better job filming, for staters. The pace is incredibly slow during the follow-the-wannabe-star segments (as in BORING). The kiddie parts are insulting to the adult intelligence. I'm sure I would be shocked to know they spent much money producing these. Not good for the MINI image.

The only good part was the Jazzercize segment, with the women bending over... butt that's just me.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Yes they thrown in kiddie stuff and soft core ****.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:52 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cabriopilot
I love "Lots of Space" and "Tug that Tassle" but that might be a bit much for the US audience.
Here is my favorite Clubman ad from Germany as found on YouTube.
Titled: What Happens In A Clubman

Below I have added two of my all time favorites that Mini should have patterned their next commercials after.
The one on the left is called "Flirt" and the one on the right is "Dueling Minis"

Too much for the American audience?!?!? The stuff we see on reality TV, talk shows, trash shows, etc. is worse than the clever humor in "Tug that Tassle". Not to mention the infamous Dennis Franz scene (NYPD Blue) and the raciness of current shows, IMHO "Tug the Tassle" and "Lots of Space" are similar, if not more tame...although, I admit I would run it later in the evening.

Another Favorite Commercial "Let's MINI"

Last edited by True Joy; 02-09-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:03 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GoMiniGo
Just finished watching the Clubman commercials on MINIUSA Owners Lounge. All are based around the annoying song 'One of these things are not like the other.'

Are they really trying to make the point that the Clubman is fat, ugly and bloated? Surely they could have done a better job! I mean a fat belly flopper, a gorilla, baboon and such. Come on, MINI, fire that ad team and start over!

The only one that did not remotely insult the car was the last one with the person in the bunny suit. Yes, I find them insulting to the car!!

I could see the ads working if they showed something hauling more stuff but still being fun to drive.

Please, MINI, do not show these ads on TV. There are THAT bad!
I can't imagine how they could make it look any uglier than it already is so i'll have to check it out. I saw one in person at the LA Auto Show. It's Hideous! The car definitely ranks up there as one of the ugliest cars i've ever seen in my life. The normal R56 is pretty bloated and ridiculous looking, but the clubman just looks like a joke. It looks like someone crossed a Honda Element, 2nd gen Scion and an R56 MINI together and called it a new car. HIDEOUS!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
I can't imagine how they could make it look any uglier than it already is so i'll have to check it out. I saw one in person at the LA Auto Show. It's Hideous! The car definitely ranks up there as one of the ugliest cars i've ever seen in my life. The normal R56 is pretty bloated and ridiculous looking, but the clubman just looks like a joke. It looks like someone crossed a Honda Element, 2nd gen Scion and an R56 MINI together and called it a new car. HIDEOUS!
Have you seen it in person?

Old 02-09-2008, 03:15 PM
LiL Stinker
2nd Gear
What in the world is MINIUSA thinking about. I'm glad I already have my Clubman coming. That sure as %&$$ wouldn't sell me a car.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
It's Hideous! The car definitely ranks up there as one of the ugliest cars i've ever seen in my life. The normal R56 is pretty bloated and ridiculous looking, but the clubman just looks like a joke.
Congratulations...you have just tagged yourself as someone with questionable taste!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 03:43 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Congratulations...you have just tagged yourself as someone with questionable taste!!!

he's just jeaous because he had to spend $10k in aftermarket stuff to beat a stock r56 S.

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman commericials - worst EVER!