North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r52-cabrio-talk-2005-2008-152/)
-   -   R52 Cheapest source for wind deflector? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r52-cabrio-talk-2005-2008/61232-cheapest-source-for-wind-deflector.html)

Wesmonster 02-14-2006 10:52 AM

Cheapest source for wind deflector?

Well, after swearing that I'd never pay $400 for a wind deflector I may be eating those words. My wife and I were watching Top Gear and they did a top-down speed test on various toupees (no, I don't wear one, but it was hilarious to watch) and at the end they fitted a wind screen to their test car and my wife asks me "You used to have one of those on your old Miata, don't they make one for the MINI?" Now I'm contemplating purchasing one, but aren't the only ones available the OEM unit? i had an Oris on my Miata which is also the same type offered on Mercedes ragtops (aluminum frame with a black cloth mesh covering) but I don't find any other type available. If OEM is the only option, who sells them cheapest online?

BTW, thanks to all who brought up the Cabrio Talk forum!

scatpack 02-14-2006 11:48 AM

Ebay.

Look for Morristown MINI's account. Usually under $300

mini-rolls 02-14-2006 11:57 AM

Check E-Bay here is one with 5 hours left $340.00 I love mine it is great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MINI-...spagenameZWDVW

UUNetBill 02-14-2006 01:49 PM

Yup - E-bay's the way to go - I found one for like $299, local pickup in the Denver metro area, but there were deals coming and going. . .just gotta be patient, I think. . .

PS - I swore that I wouldn't pay $400 for basically an old pair of pantyhose stretched over a coat hanger frame. . .but after having tried one, gotta have it. . . :thumbsup:

StLouieLo 02-15-2006 07:29 AM

I bought mine through MINI of St Louis. It was a "group" purchase. We got a 20% discount with free shipping.

Lois:grin:

banjoez 02-15-2006 07:33 AM

Seems like someone would be offering a more affordable aftermarket version. Anyone seen one out there yet?

MiniMac2005 02-18-2006 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by banjoez
Seems like someone would be offering a more affordable aftermarket version. Anyone seen one out there yet?

haven't found one yet... post if you do :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by scatpack
Ebay. Look for Morristown MINI's account. Usually under $300

found it last night. Thanks scatpack ! Buy it Now for $295 + s/h. Will definitely consider once the weather starts to warm up here. :thumbsup:

Khodabear 02-19-2006 08:55 AM

SunRoof Deflector

I'd like to see somebody develop a wind deflector for the Sunroof.

Peter
In Denver

snooter 02-19-2006 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Khodabear
I'd like to see somebody develop a wind deflector for the Sunroof.

Peter
In Denver

found this another thread

http://www.weathertech.com/store/veh...pt_choice_id=0

Khodabear 02-19-2006 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by snooter

\

Right...but..umm..I don't think that would work on the Convertible...would it?

Peter

not-so-rednwhitecooper 02-19-2006 11:32 AM

\

Right...but..umm..I don't think that would work on the Convertible...would it?

Peter

Thats a deflector for the sunroof, just like you asked for.

convertable cant get sunroofs, so why would you need a sunroof deflector for one?

Khodabear 02-19-2006 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
Thats a deflector for the sunroof, just like you asked for.

convertable cant get sunroofs, so why would you need a sunroof deflector for one?

The convertible top has an "Automatic Sunroof" - and that's how they describe it on the MINIUSA site under Cooper Convertible Features and Specs.
When you open the top in "sunroof" mode, there is no deflector. Wind is shoveled in your face....a pop-up deflector such as is found on traditional sunroofs would take care of that....but there is none - that I can find.

Peter

mmatarella 02-19-2006 12:02 PM

sunroof

Have you played with slightly opening the rear windows? With the sunroof open I get a lot of wind in the face, but if I lower the rear windows a inch or two it's almost totally eliminated.

not-so-rednwhitecooper 02-19-2006 12:10 PM

The convertible top has an "Automatic Sunroof" - and that's how they describe it on the MINIUSA site under Cooper Convertible Features and Specs.
When you open the top in "sunroof" mode, there is no deflector. Wind is shoveled in your face....a pop-up deflector such as is found on traditional sunroofs would take care of that....but there is none - that I can find.

Peter

I wouldnt call that a sunroof. Ive driven an MCC. All that is is the top being opened only a little bit.

All i would call that is MINI calling someting an option in an atempt to add standard options to the list to make the car look better.

mmatarella 02-19-2006 12:44 PM

hmmm

Well, I have one and like it. Can you name another convertible that can open the roof up to 18 inches while underway? Or stopped. I guess we'll see. If a bunch of other convertibles start to copy that feature we'll know it was successful.

I likeee :thumbsup:

Khodabear 02-19-2006 01:14 PM

I'm sorry folks - this is my fault - I thought I was posting in the Cabrio forum where people familiar with the Convertible and its operation might have some thoughts.

I apologize.

Peter

snooter 02-20-2006 03:53 AM

Yo Khodabear,
My bad, when you asked if they have one for a sunroof, I wasn't thinking of the convertible sunroof (thought you had the hardtop kid).

I got the MCSC one for a week now, but haven't had it in the sunroof mode, usually all the way down. (one of the perks of sunny Florida).

MiniMac2005 02-20-2006 04:52 AM

I got the MCSC one for a week now, but haven't had it in the sunroof mode, usually all the way down. (one of the perks of sunny Florida).

You had to rub it in snooter :sly: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I took the family out for a spin yesterday. The high was ONLY 12F according to my temp gauge :eek2: no top down for me, yet. There's supposed to be a heatwave coming this week, highs in the upper 40's :grin: :grin:

Khodabear 02-20-2006 08:01 AM

Yo Khodabear,
My bad, when you asked if they have one for a sunroof, I wasn't thinking of the convertible sunroof (thought you had the hardtop kid).

No problem :thumbsup:

I do wish I could find a deflector though

MiniMac2005 02-20-2006 10:02 AM

I do wish I could find a deflector though

I was looking at the opening and I'm not sure where the deflector would sit? Is there room behind the antennae? or would it need to be mounted on the lip somewhere? Just curious :)

rkw 02-20-2006 12:16 PM

I can vouch for mmatarella's tip of opening the rear windows slightly when using sunroof mode. Maybe not an ideal solution, but it reduces the turbulence a lot.

GyroJunkie 02-20-2006 12:49 PM

If you could get a wind deflector shipped from across the pond, they are only 160 UK pounds (about $280 US). MINI USA wants $425 each. I guess this is where the eBay units are coming from.

I'm surprised that no aftermarket units have been created. There are several for the Miata.

I also like the idea of a sunroof wind deflector for the cabrio.

Wesmonster 02-20-2006 01:45 PM

thanks for the tip...

I just ordered one from Morristown MINI. Their website sells for $340 but buying one via ebay was under $300, with $16 for UPS ground shipping. That's the hands down best new price I've ever seen for a wind screen.

Originally Posted by scatpack
Ebay.

Look for Morristown MINI's account. Usually under $300

GyroJunkie 02-20-2006 01:54 PM

I may try to borrow one from another local. If they're as good as some say, maybe I'll get one. I sure can think of other mods I'd prefer first for $300.

snooter 02-20-2006 02:00 PM

I was surfing the infinite web and came across this.http://images.solidcactus.com/autobarn/windmaster.jpg

here's the website http://www.motor-searchbox.com/autobarn1/_0_182_.html