R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 R52 Convertible Top Does not close! (sometimes...)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:32 PM
emreergen
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
R52 Convertible Top Does not close! (sometimes...)

Hi Y'all,

I've just purchased one of my dream cars, a 2008 Mini Cooper S Convertible Sidewalk Edition with about 53,000 miles. It's a great car and I'm having a lot of fun driving it.
I purchased it 4 days ago and the top was working fine. Going up and down with no problems. 2 days ago, on Friday, I left the top open about 24 hours and when I wanted to close it, it started to move about 2-3 inches and went back. I tried it again, could hear the motor trying, but didn't work. I drove back home to park it in my garage and tried it there again. This time it moved couple feet, then went back again. The car was running, and I turned off my head lights, when I tried one more time, it closed fine. After that tried 2 more times back to back and it worked perfect.
Yesterday, used it few times and worked fine as well.
Today, I had the same issue one more time. The top always opens fine. When I try to close, sometimes it feels like the motor do not have enough juice to close it.

I would appreciate any kind of ideas/suggestions what might be wrong. I hope it's something as simple as a weak battery or a fuse/relay.

Thank you!

Last edited by emreergen; 06-23-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Title
Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Very nice looking MINI, well done.
Conditions you describe could, emphasize could, indicate a weakening battery.
1st MINI? Some things to look in to. 1st, find a reliable BMW/MINI independent shop in your area. Ask other MINI people thereabout. Dealerships make their money in the shop to support the rest of the operation by throwing parts at a problem hoping that fixes it. A good indie will dig into a problem the right way.
Install front strut tower plates, replace the plastic coolant expansion tank with one of metal, acquire a tire repair kit, use ONLY top tier top octane fuel, check the fluid levels regularly (I do weekly) change oil/filter and rotate tires every 5K miles. I do when the odo shows a 5 and 3 zeroes or 4 zeroes, easy to remember. But, the most important thing to remember is that topless motoring IS motoring at its best. And always wave.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:15 PM
emreergen
Neutral
Yes, it is my very first Mini. I didn't think it would be this much fun!
Thank you for the tips. I don't like dealerships either. I'll do some research about an independent shop. Hopefully find some decent one here in New Orleans.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:14 AM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to R52 ownership, these are such fun cars!

FWIW only the "sunroof" opening portion is electrical motor driven, the main roof raise and drop is hydraulic operation with rams both sides and the pump mounted back left hand side.

If the hydraulics are labouring it could be a weak battery, although if the engine was running that shouldn't matter. My roof stalled once as one of the bits of internal headliner trim has gotten into the wrong spot and was wedged stopping things moving. I was able to lift the roof manually enough to free the trim, then it was fine. If you look at the way the headliner is attached around the rear quarter window you might see what I mean. I was surprised the hydraulics didnt just smush it, but thinking about it the hydraulics are probably set up pretty weak for safety reasons so if there is extra friction or something is in the way the roof will quit. Always a good idea to lube all the pivot points and bearings to make it easy as possible for the motors and rams to raise and lower the roof. I use a few drops of teflon bike lube for that, which also stops a lot of the creaking too.

The other thing with these roofs is there are quite a few sensors that need to be giving the correct signal for the roof to work, but it doesnt sound like the issue in this case as it starts to move. The one for the rear parcel shelf position is the usual suspect when you push the button, the sunroof opens, and then nothing else happens.

If you dont have one, track down the clip in wind deflector, it will make topless motoring even more fun by eliminating a lot of buffeting and keeping the cold/hot air in the car a lot better to extend your topless season. (R52 or R57 deflector will fit an R52, I found mine on craigslist!)

And yes, keep waving, even when it seems no one is waving back!

Last edited by Mineeee; 06-24-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:44 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by emreergen
Yes, it is my very first Mini. I didn't think it would be this much fun!
Thank you for the tips. I don't like dealerships either. I'll do some research about an independent shop. Hopefully find some decent one here in New Orleans.
We've been talking about a trip down there for some time. A college classmate lives there and has offered tour guide services. If you ever see a li'l guy dashing about with the name 'FRISKIE' stuck to his butt, wave real big. Maybe we could buy each other a beer.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:21 PM
emreergen
Neutral
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
We've been talking about a trip down there for some time. A college classmate lives there and has offered tour guide services. If you ever see a li'l guy dashing about with the name 'FRISKIE' stuck to his butt, wave real big. Maybe we could buy each other a beer.
Sounds good. Let me know before heading this way.

Originally Posted by Mineeee

FWIW only the "sunroof" opening portion is electrical motor driven, the main roof raise and drop is hydraulic operation with rams both sides and the pump mounted back left hand side.

If the hydraulics are labouring it could be a weak battery, although if the engine was running that shouldn't matter. My roof stalled once as one of the bits of internal headliner trim has gotten into the wrong spot and was wedged stopping things moving. I was able to lift the roof manually enough to free the trim, then it was fine. If you look at the way the headliner is attached around the rear quarter window you might see what I mean. I was surprised the hydraulics didnt just smush it, but thinking about it the hydraulics are probably set up pretty weak for safety reasons so if there is extra friction or something is in the way the roof will quit. Always a good idea to lube all the pivot points and bearings to make it easy as possible for the motors and rams to raise and lower the roof. I use a few drops of teflon bike lube for that, which also stops a lot of the creaking too.

The other thing with these roofs is there are quite a few sensors that need to be giving the correct signal for the roof to work, but it doesnt sound like the issue in this case as it starts to move. The one for the rear parcel shelf position is the usual suspect when you push the button, the sunroof opens, and then nothing else happens.

If you dont have one, track down the clip in wind deflector, it will make topless motoring even more fun by eliminating a lot of buffeting and keeping the cold/hot air in the car a lot better to extend your topless season. (R52 or R57 deflector will fit an R52, I found mine on craigslist!)

I grabbed some White Lithium Grease & Silicone Lubricant. Is there any video or instructions about lubricating the top mechanism? I don't want to over do it.
Thank you for the tips.

I see that Mini has a very helpful community and I'm very happy to be a part of it.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 PM
emreergen
Neutral
Originally Posted by Mineeee

Thank you for the suggestions.
After work today, I lubricated all the moving parts. While doing that I stopped the top half way open. I noticed, the top would slowly move down to complete open position (engine was not running during this, not sure if it matters). So, that means hydraulic liquid or hydraulic motor pump issue? I never have any issues opening the top, but closing it back I'm having trouble.

My car came with the wind deflector, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll try it tomorrow night. It's been so hot lately, 95F+, I can only put the top down at night.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 AM
emreergen
Neutral
Thank you for the information.
I applied white lithium grease to convertible top mechanism last night.
While doing it I stopped the top up about half way. I observed that If I leave it close to open position, the top falls down slowly to open position. Is that normal, or a sign that roof hydraulic motor pump/hydraulic fluid level problem. (the engine was not running during this)

Old 06-25-2019, 06:27 AM
emreergen
Neutral
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Sounds good. I wouldn't recommend anytime before September though, unless you love 100F+ temp and high humidity. Can't even put the top down before sunset.

Last edited by emreergen; 06-25-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
We're in a high temp/humidity summer zone also so choosing a WX friendly time to visit is no mystery. The slow top 'fall down' from partially open is normal.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:18 PM
emreergen
Neutral
Just wanted to give an update.
I got my battery tested and it's fine, so that's not the issue. Last 3 days, the top has been working fine (I only open/close while the engine is running, not sure if it makes a difference).
Maybe lubing helped.
Just cleaned my headlights, replaced couple broken trim and discolored rear badge, installed the wind deflector (makes a huge difference!), ordered a new key from Seattle Mini ($177 incl. shipping).
So far so good, I'm loving this little beast .

Old 07-01-2019, 07:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Lube that top once a year and it helps reduce that tension and squealing pig noise(thats what we call it on the R52).

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-20-2019, 02:58 PM
doxbike
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
top stuck

2005 R52 S. OK, so this is the second time this has happened. Two weeks ago, the top went down fine, but wouldn't close a few hours later. No red light blinking, windows up and down fine-engine was running. I parked it in a parking garage, went inside to have a drink with my friends, came out 1 hour later, hit the driver side window button, tried the top, and boom, it closed! Yesterday, started to put it down, sun roof opened, roof started to open then stopped. wouldn't go up or down. No red light, but held the closed button and the roof slowly moved forward to where the hooks just reached the A pillar, but didn't latch. Moving slowly, like with hydraulic pressure. Left it overnight, went out to remove the negative terminal and recycle the windows, but didn't need to-the red light was blinking and the top went right up.

Any thoughts on where to start to isolate that little electrical gremlin?
Thanks.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:37 PM
doxbike
1st Gear
update

So, my battery was getting weak and would go dead if not driven at least every other week. Changed the battery, top went down like a champ. Went to put it up a few hours later and no go- no red light, nada ( running as usual). cycled the windows several times, still nothing. Drove it around the corner, tried again, nothing. Turned it off, turned the key on, didn't start the car, and boom! red light on and up in a flash! WTF is going on?

Old 08-07-2019, 10:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Its might has not detected the top in function with the hall sensor since you just changed the battery.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-07-2019, 08:16 PM
doxbike
1st Gear
Took it to the shop, left it for the week end, they called me on Monday and "come pick it up, works fine" Went there, top went up and down no problem, drove it 2 miles with the top down to a convertible specialty shop to see if they had any ideas. Wouldn't go up- no red light, windows worked fine sat there a few minutes, still no red light. Pushed the down button on the windows-top went up no problem. Drove it back to the Mini mechanic- wouldn't work again. Left it for them to figure it out. They called today- found a corroded relay. Relay ordered-no guarantee of a fix. Waiting..................