R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 NOOB looking for advice on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:22 AM
kellyk7
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOOB looking for advice on purchase

I am looking at a 2007 Cooper S convertible later this week. , it is 6 speed manual , sidewalk edition. 140K miles and new clutch - claims to have maintenance records ( we will see) What should I be looking for . My background is I am a long time racer and mechanic, I do ALL my own work so I have a pretty good understanding .

I have some turbo experience with Toyota but no super charger experience Any Notes there ?

Thanks In advance - Kelly

Old 11-25-2018, 07:42 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Typical things on R52/53 cars to look for or expect to replace....

suspension
- unless they’ve been changed at some point to powerflex, front lower control arm bushings were likely toast 50k miles ago. Check by kicking the front of each front wheel.....if there’s movement front to back (wiggle), they are bad.
- struts are long overdue unless they’ve been changed.
- check strut towers for “mushrooming” and check mounts for cracks and tears (very common).
- in general, you’ll just want to expect to do a suspension “refresh” unless the work has been done already.....struts, bushings, ball joints, etc. it’s not terrible expensive depending on options you go with, but can be lots of work. These cars drive so much better with fresh suspension parts!

engine
- if belt tensioner and idler pulley haven’t been changed, do so immediately.
- the crank pulley (harmonic balancer) on these cars is prone to failure....it basically separates into to pieces (inner/outer) and will leave you stranded and possibly overheat the car. If it’s the original oem, change immediately....suggest either ATI or PRW (fluid filled type).
- supercharger oil service....I think there’s a debate on whether you should do this or just wait til the supercharger dies. I tend to err on the side of prevention and suggest the oil be changed and the water pump replaced at the same time.
-unless it’s been replaced, the crank position sensor on the front of the engine leaks oil....can be mistaken as a pan gasket leak. You can change the o ring relatively easily.....it’s likely leaking.
- another maintenance item that’s cheap and relatively easy to replace is the timing chain tensioner. In High mileage cars they tend to get worn out and stick causing a chain rattle. Mine did this when the car was restarted while warm. The part is like $20 and work can be done in 10 minutes through passenger wheel well. If never changed, it’s worth putting on your list.

body
- may or may not be applicable where you are (climate), but lots of gen 1 cars are getting rust around the tail lights here in the Midwest. Way to check would be to remove the tail lights and check the body seam that’s in the “pocket” the lights sit in. That’s where the rust starts. Also check under the lower door seals and boot hatch seal.

hope that helps!

Last edited by Fastlane; 11-25-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:02 PM
ThumpR52
Banned
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
A good thread on the topic , have you checked it out? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gen1-mini.html

The convertible is heavier than the tin or tin with glass top model, heavy enough that the differences in acceleration is affected but for some, myself included, the ability to drop the top and see the world is well worth it. On that top, although I have not seen allot on the matter, I would check out the rear window and make sure it is firmly stuck in place. I would also check for wear marks toward the back where the material is wrinkled quite well every time the top is opened or closed. Last, there are issues with both the gears that work the top mechanism and the cables that the end in the "hooking" mechanism at the windscreen.

Another major issue on the drop top is the rear vinyl trim but that can be addressed with a fix that is detailed here (around post # 24) https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...options-2.html

Old 11-25-2018, 01:33 PM
kellyk7
Neutral
Thanks for the replies - One question - I have been looking at parts and cost, Suspension is not that expensive, the other Odds and Ends are not so bad, but that supercharger can be a beast I have seen from 1600.00 to 2800.00 for the complete unit.

How rebuild friendly are they ? I have seen rebuild kits for 300.00 ?

How can you check them to tell if I am about to buy a car with a bad supercharger ?

Old 11-25-2018, 03:10 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
At first I was thinking “No wait, the ‘07 Coopers had turbo’s not S/C’s, but then I reread the post and saw that it’s a convertible. I have it in my brain that Mini switched to the turbo for the ‘07 model year, but for some reason the same change was not made in the convertible until ‘09.
That just seems odd to me, am I correct or confused?

Old 11-25-2018, 03:52 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kellyk7
Thanks for the replies - One question - I have been looking at parts and cost, Suspension is not that expensive, the other Odds and Ends are not so bad, but that supercharger can be a beast I have seen from 1600.00 to 2800.00 for the complete unit.

How rebuild friendly are they ? I have seen rebuild kits for 300.00 ?

How can you check them to tell if I am about to buy a car with a bad supercharger ?
You can buy new units for around $1400 pretty easily....rebuilt ones for around $1000. Seems like I’ve seen several posted here for sale lately.....My impression is that some folks bought them and put them on the shelf “just in case” and then never used them, I don’t know what the failure rate is, but I think it is relatively low. I’ve owned two supercharged cars....my current one is almost to the 100k mile mark and I’ve been considering taking it apart to check/change the oil just for good measure. Will likely wait til it’s time to do the clutch, though, so things just have to come apart once.

i think the main sign of a failing supercharger would be noise.....clatter, rattles, etc. there are lots of things that can make rattle noises on engines, though....so if you hear a rattle, don’t assume it’s the supercharger. In my experience, rattles are more likely the timing chain or the throughout bearing when in neutral (like mine).

sorry can’t give input on rebuild difficulty. I would think that tolerances are pretty tight on them, so not sure it’s the best idea to do them on your own. I’m sure someone on here has done one, though.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:54 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
At first I was thinking “No wait, the ‘07 Coopers had turbo’s not S/C’s, but then I reread the post and saw that it’s a convertible. I have it in my brain that Mini switched to the turbo for the ‘07 model year, but for some reason the same change was not made in the convertible until ‘09.
That just seems odd to me, am I correct or confused?
yes....the gen 1 supercharged cars lived on though 07-08 as a convertible-only (r52) model.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:02 PM
kellyk7
Neutral
The more I read on here I am getting the Impression that these are more like the British princess than the chambermaid - I have owned jaguars and Ducati’s so I know how some ladies just demand attention and if given right they reward - this car I am looking at is owned by an executive lady who commutes a lot, she claims all maintenance has been done at one shop ( not a dealer) and I can talk to the shop

I guess one last question would be is it a better idea to look at a 2009 ? Or do they have their issues also and if this one excites me I am better off with it at half the money

Old 11-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Gen1 more reliable than early gen2.

If you can do the work yourself & this won't be your daily get-to-work-or-get-fired car, then go for it.

You might have it dismantled for awhile!

Old 11-25-2018, 05:13 PM
kellyk7
Neutral
Thanks

I work from home so maybe 8 times a year I need to catch a plane

Old 11-26-2018, 03:48 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kellyk7
The more I read on here I am getting the Impression that these are more like the British princess than the chambermaid - I have owned jaguars and Ducati’s so I know how some ladies just demand attention and if given right they reward - this car I am looking at is owned by an executive lady who commutes a lot, she claims all maintenance has been done at one shop ( not a dealer) and I can talk to the shop

I guess one last question would be is it a better idea to look at a 2009 ? Or do they have their issues also and if this one excites me I am better off with it at half the money
dont be scared off.....yes, MINIs are a bit maintenance intensive, but the list I gave above is more due to mileage.

I’ve owned 3 different gen 1 cars (r50, r52, r53) and one gen 2 car (an 08 r56s). They have all been a blast to drive and wrench on.....but the r56 by far had the most problems and potential for breakdown IMO. I drove that car for 3 years and about 50k miles.....in that time it had to replace the water pump, thermostat housing, timing chain assembly (3 times!!!), and decoke the valves (direct injection).....and then there’s the electric gremlins. I’ve seen so many blown engines in the turbo cars (especially earlier ones) that I wouldn’t own another one.

The gen 1 cars are relatively bulletproof IMO.....all the work I have done on mine has been preventative maintenance and repairs due to age/mileage....or “upgrades”. I’d also suggest that the gen 1 cars are more fun to drive.....but that’s just my opinion. The steering feel, the supercharger whine, exhaust pops.....it just makes the experience.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:59 PM
kellyk7
Neutral
So for me that deal went sideways- I talked to the mechanic that has been working on it and just did not get a good feeling.

Out of curiosity what what sorts of things would be normal to service or PM when you put in a clutch ? I am assuming that you would have to remove the front end of the car and pull the Powertrain assembly so when you are that deep I would assume you change the harder to get to items that don’t cost that much - do a PM refresh