Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R50 overheating engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 PM
gum
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R50 overheating engine rebuild

What has been done after a head gasket failured and engine got overheated.
engine got new pistons rings, cylinder walls honed using flex hone Tool to get rid of glazing, new head gasket and head was sent to a machine shop, as per the machine shop advise inspecting the pistons rings since they took off lots of material off the head.
This are the symptoms
engine is overheating
i removed the thermostat and test it and it opens up around 200 f it doesn’t open all the way
i run the engine without thermostat and the temperature gauge stays half way and it doesn’t overheated.
i purged the air out of the coolant hoses with heather on.

I live in Florida can I run it without the thermostat? It’s always hot in here! I know it would run rich but what the heck!
do you think it’s a radiator issue? My next move is to use some chemical to flush the radiator to see if it removes what ever is blocking or restricting the coolant.
while running without or with thermostat the fan cycles!

i Would order another thermostat what’s the best brand?
i have the Bentley book and yes I’m installing the thermostat correctly with the hole at 12 o’clock
im running out of ideas!
any feed back it’s appreciate it.

Last edited by gum; 07-15-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:09 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues section. Should get more views.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:24 PM
gum
2nd Gear
Well believe it or not the thermostat that I replaced in October failed and that could been the problem when it did blew the head gasket, also I’m suspecting my rad is plugged so I bought something to flush the entire cooling system and I ordered a new radiator even better that the one stock, also the new thermostat I m getting is should open at 85f to be safe.
so hopefully that would take care the overheating.
i would keep you post it!

Old 07-19-2018, 01:29 AM
gum
2nd Gear
Update

while rebuilding the engine I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and guess what? It was given false readings, so it was not over heating, I put back the old one and now it’s working fine even with a new thermostat.
The problem ordering parts with my car there is a confusion between the suppliers, it’s a real mess ordering R50/R52 I should be ordering things for R50 but the suppliers still ships things as R52 and they are not compatible at least in my case!
i would do some search as to how to diagnostic a sensor why a brand new sensor would read out half way of my dash gauge in the car even with the engine cool or never started.
New rad, I thought the old one was bad but it turned to be the new temp sensor was bad or incorrect one for my engine
New thermostat with a lower temp settings
Here it show that the engine was overheated with the new coolant sensor
I put back the old sensor with correct readings on my dash gauge
Old temp sensor given zero reading with engine cold
This is the reading I was getting with the new temp sensor, and with the engine cold