North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r52-cabrio-talk-2005-2008-152/)
-   -   R52 opening trunk in '05 MCS Cabrio? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r52-cabrio-talk-2005-2008/32900-opening-trunk-in-05-mcs-cabrio.html)

grrl13 11-08-2004 11:45 AM

opening trunk in '05 MCS Cabrio?

It seems the only way to open the trunk in the '05 MCS Cabrio is using the key... and only when the car is off. This doesn't make sense to me. There must be a way to do it when the car is on!! As it is now I take the key out of the ignition and then hit the button, because it doesn't work when it's in the ignition. There's nothing in the owner's manual about opening the trunk, or any secret button I haven't found. Anyone else run into this issue? How do you open the hard-tops?? Thanks in advance.
:confused:

Donna/Mike 11-08-2004 11:54 AM

I have not experienced that problem. Don't forget - the boot opens out towards you and not up, like the hard top. You should feel the little release right up under the boot just above the license plate.....same as the hard top..:smile:

Chow!

Donna:cool: :grin: :cool:

C4 11-08-2004 12:10 PM

The boot in the cabrio is soo small!

mlebeau 11-08-2004 12:22 PM

It doesn't unlock when you press the unlock toggle, as it does on the hardtop?

-mike

Donna/Mike 11-08-2004 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mlebeau
It doesn't unlock when you press the unlock toggle, as it does on the hardtop?

-mike

I have the automatic unlock feature when the cars shuts off, and yes, that unlocks the boot.

When unlocking the car to begin with, if I hit the unlock once, it only unlocks the driver's door. You have to hit it again to unlock the passenger door and the boot.

Chow!

Donna:cool: :grin: :cool:

vagt6 11-08-2004 01:30 PM

On the '05 key, the boot unlock button is at top of the key, above the MINI logo in the center of the key.

And, the instructions on how to use the locking system are in the Owner's Manual:roll:

Please note that I DIDN'T say RTFM:lol:

Jayde 11-08-2004 01:50 PM

You have to hit the unlock toggle before you can open the boot. If your car is running and you need to get in there, unlock the doors (with the switch) and then she should open right up!! If that doesn't work, I would make an appointment with your service department!!

grrl13 11-09-2004 07:59 AM

thanks for the responses. and vagt6, i DID read the f manual, thanks. my specific question could not be answered in there. :sly:

i know how to unlock it with the key button and when the car is off... what i was asking was about opening it with the car ON. thank you jayde for your help, i was trying with the key from inside when on and didn't realize the switch would do the trick... that's exactly what i was looking for.

thanks again! and cooper4us, it's actually quite roomy once you use the expanding feature to load, we've fit one of the huge luggage suitcases in there with no problem. it's just shoving the stuff in there that's more of an issue =)

mlebeau 11-09-2004 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by grrl13
thank you jayde for your help, i was trying with the key from inside when on and didn't realize the switch would do the trick... that's exactly what i was looking for.

Well, in all fairness, I said that already. ;)

-mike

grrl13 11-09-2004 06:49 PM

thank you to mlebeau as well :thumbsup:. tried the switch and it did the trick! eeeeeexcellent.

now if i can just figure out the speed dependent volume control on the HK system... when i follow the directions on the card it doesn't work as it should. i swear i really do know how to follow manuals! :razz: just not having luck with a couple of features.

thanks again for your help. one problem solved!

C4 11-09-2004 06:56 PM

thanks for the responses. and vagt6, i DID read the f manual, thanks. my specific question could not be answered in there. :sly:

i know how to unlock it with the key button and when the car is off... what i was asking was about opening it with the car ON. thank you jayde for your help, i was trying with the key from inside when on and didn't realize the switch would do the trick... that's exactly what i was looking for.

thanks again! and cooper4us, it's actually quite roomy once you use the expanding feature to load, we've fit one of the huge luggage suitcases in there with no problem. it's just shoving the stuff in there that's more of an issue =)

Hey, we don't yet have any Cabrio owners in our local club... Would you be interested in joining us?:thumbsup:

mbabischkin 11-10-2004 05:32 AM

now if i can just figure out the speed dependent volume control on the HK system... when i follow the directions on the card it doesn't work as it should. i swear i really do know how to follow manuals! :razz: just not having luck with a couple of features.

Unless something on the system has changed in the last year, you can't make any adjustments to the speed adjustments on the HK. Unlike the base system, it is not a user adjustable setting. It does work, but it is extremely subtle and does not always fully compensate for your speed.