R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New 2008 S sidewalk owner, overheating issues/blows cold air

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 03:01 AM
Banqueta
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2008 S sidewalk owner, overheating issues/blows cold air

Good morning everyone,

Was driving home with newly purchased 2008 MCS Sidewalk with 97k miles when halfway on the 80mi trip back home the car started overheating and hot air stopped blowing out the vents so I had to pull over and park the car to cool off for a good 20-30mins. Restarted it, hopped back on the highway and within 5 mins the temps crept back up so I pulled over for good. Coolant level was normal(checked before test drive), no apparent leaks but a little did manage to spew out of the expansion tank cap.

I will return in a couple hours and start by bypassing the heater core and see if that does it. That would be best case scenario and would save me a hefty tow bill. However I am prepared for the worst and was wondering if anyone here had experienced the same issue?

Been thinking and it could also be as simple as air introduced into lines, water pump failure, stuck thermostat, or the dreaded water pump supercharger drive.

If the bypass doesnt do the trick then I'll be busy troubleshooting instead of getting to drive..

What do you guys think? It'd be nice to get it running smoothly and kept for the rest of its life even though we started off on the wrong foot.

Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited by Banqueta; 08-17-2020 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:59 PM
Banqueta
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update!

Issue almost resolved.

Low and high speed fans have always worked from the get go and I bled cooling system properly on day one. Thermostat opened up perfectly at 195, confirmed with boiling water and a thermometer alongside a brand new replacement.

Low compression on Cyl 1 & 2 made me suspect the head gasket because the tops of the pistons looked to have been steam cleaned by the coolant and after dropping a bit of oil in the cylinders smoke escaped from the engine and out of the bay upon combusting so I pressurized the cooling system and let it idle. The gauge showed increased pressure and eventually the tank burst at the seam. At this point I decided to pull the head and confirmed a blown gasket. Cyl 1&2 had small cracks going from the spark plug holes to the valves as well.

I removed the water pump and there was a dried up corroded waterfall of coolant at the inlet where it mates with the block. The impellers were still intact but when turning the small water pump drive(that mates to the SC) by hand it was really stiff but not completely locked, also rusting so coolant may have been leaking out of there too.. There were no blockages of any kind in the coolant system or radiator so I'm assuming pump failure or PO failed to keep coolant level adequate so it overheated on them before me.

Anyways, I have abused head and a new water pump w metal impeller along with new supercharger oil going in tomorrow. Pulling off the supercharger to inspect the dog gear that drives the water pump to make sure that didn't fail.. Do I just unbolt the rear section, open up and have a look? Or are the parts prone to popping out or must stay in a certain position?

Thanks for reading