R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Spare Tire in a R52

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:40 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Spare Tire in a R52

The prior owner replaced the run-flat tires with Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires which I think are non-run-flats. This saved me the trouble of replacing the run-flats myself. How are other Cooper S owners who have ditched the run-flats dealing with the combination of the lack of run-flats and the lack of a spare?

My plan is to sacrifice the trunk in exchange for a spare. My questions are:

Does the "micro spare tire and wheel" temporary spare available for MINIs fit in the trunk of the R52 Convertible?

Is the little jack that is in the trunk sufficient for an emergency tire change? Should I upgrade it or put a piece of plywood in the trunk as well?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
IMO you are not going to get the micro spare in the vert rear trunk. Whereas I had that spare in my R53 being able to stand it up and strap it to the back of the rear seat, the vert shelf is not up high enough. I have a pump, some plugs and a can of green slime.

The following users liked this post:
miniCPA (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Might be able to angle the tire but then it would take up too much space for me at least. The problem is you would need the actual unit to try.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I would just get the dounut spare and put it on the floor behind the pass seat.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-s...ire-wheel.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Thanks for the feedback.

I was OK giving up the trunk space for a spare. Putting the spare in the footwell of the back seat would likely take too much space from the passenger and eliminate room for additional passengers. I also am concerned with the text "This spare is intended to be used on the Rear of your MINI when used. This will prevent transmission damage, and allow you to drive safely. Also this may not clear all front brake calibers, but clears the rear brakes no problem."

Option 2 is to get a used full size wheel / tire and call a friend to make a delivery if I ever need it.

Anybody find any other solution?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:36 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn
This is what I carry and the bag has room for an extra qt of oil, some cleaning supplies for road trips and a fool jug for a short snort at the end of the day.
I've used the supplied jack and it works OK but doesn't provide a great deal of confidence.

miniCPA (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:32 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I have seen an exterior type spare carrier that would attach into a trailer hitch type bracket. Would work better on a hatch than a vert. Not kinda but definitely funky looking.

gsfent (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:41 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by miniCPA
Is the little jack that is in the trunk sufficient for an emergency tire change?
Yes, I have used it for wheel rotation on an R52. At the jack point, both tires on one side will be lifted up.

I also am concerned with the text "This spare is intended to be used on the Rear of your MINI when used. This will prevent transmission damage, and allow you to drive safely. Also this may not clear all front brake calibers, but clears the rear brakes no problem."
I don't remember if the spare clears the stock S front brakes. If it doesn't, the usual solution is to transfer the rear wheel to the front and put the spare in the rear. This isn't unusual for upgraded and aftermarket brakes.

miniCPA (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:51 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
rkw

For tire rotations and putting winter tires on my daily driver, I purchased a floor jack and a better wrench. I am convinced the jacks in cars today were intended as single use.

If the entire side is lifted, the double tire change should be much easier.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
rkw

For tire rotations and putting winter tires on my daily driver, I purchased a floor jack and a better wrench. I am convinced the jacks in cars today were intended as single use.

If the entire side is lifted, the double tire change should be much easier.
Agree, wouldn't trust the provided jacks. With a tire change you aren't crawling under the car usually. Although I can see the scenario where you drop a lug bolt or something and crawl under to retrieve it while the jack decides to slip or give out. No thanks I think I'll skip using one of those.

With these cars you can lift front or rear side with a good floor jack and change both tires, putting a stand underneath is a good practice as well, never know when that pressure relief valve decides to blow.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:08 PM
gsfent
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
I have seen an exterior type spare carrier that would attach into a trailer hitch type bracket. Would work better on a hatch than a vert. Not kinda but definitely funky looking.

If I was going to go to the trouble of mounting a spare tire carrier, I would just use a full size wheel. I mean, how much uglier would it be???

I simply carry a can of goo and a tire inflator. Only issue would be a broken valve stem, but then AAA is the backup. In all the years, that has happened exactly 1 time.

Regards,
Jerry

MiniTigger (05-02-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Jerry,

I agree on all counts. A full size spare on the back of a MINI would look much better. It would still not look good but much better.

I have only had a flat tire once my self. Ironically, the thought never crossed my mind to change the tire. I was in a home depot parking lot and bought a pump and filled it. I had to stop on the way home and do it a second time. The problem was not the tire, it was the valve cap that had a nub in it that pushed on the valve.

If I can get a spare in the trunk, I am going with a spare. Otherwise I will get the goo stuff and forget about it.

Another important factor is to not let the tires get too old.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
How to tell if your tires are getting too old.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Old 01-17-2018, 03:42 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
MINI FINI Sport Link + Spare Link for carrying full size spare on rear ...

Name:  MINIFINITireCarrierOpen.jpg
Views: 2923
Size:  11.7 KB

gsfent (01-17-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have moved on from the spare tire concept. However, based on the discussion, I am buying a few jack stands for tire rotations and any other work I attempt on my own. It is a small cost for the added security.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:47 AM
Mini s r52
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude the spare fits in trunk

Just so you know i have a mini cooper s R52 2008.The spare tire does fit in the trunk behind the back seat standing straight up.you have to raise the back shelf it has extra position a few inches higher than the stock height(purposely done to fit luggage etc.).The only drawback is that you cannot put the top all the way down,only sunroof style.there is a safety where when you put the shelf up on the higher position it will not allow you to put the top all the way down which is good because the tire is to high and the rear windshield(glass) could break.That's a good solution for the winter but summer just buy a nice cover for spare and put it in the back set.By the way im not talking about a full size spare but the donut everyone has for the mini.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:58 AM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
IMO you are not going to get the micro spare in the vert rear trunk. Whereas I had that spare in my R53 being able to stand it up and strap it to the back of the rear seat, the vert shelf is not up high enough. I have a pump, some plugs and a can of green slime.
Plus 1...
I carry the spare tire strap in the back seat...

Old 05-02-2018, 01:44 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini s r52
...The only drawback is that you cannot put the top all the way down,...
Not being able to put the top down defeats the purpose of the convertible. I decided to go with a can of fix-a-flat, Roadside assistance and a cell phone. Next problem is the fact that the roads that are the most fun in the MINI are the least likely to have cell service. I will figure that one out if I ever get stuck.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:58 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wondered if the Mini spare would fit if deflated. I carry a pump, fix a flat and tire repair tools

Old 05-07-2018, 06:32 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My spare tire. I will deal with the mess later.

A set of tire plugs also.
A can of fix a flat should get you at least to a populated location off the highway where you can deal with the problem.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:44 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by DaGriz
I wondered if the Mini spare would fit if deflated. I carry a pump, fix a flat and tire repair tools
This might work but IMO you would have to ratchet type strap to compress the sidewalls and with that type of tire I wonder whether it would deform it thereby causing it to thump bad when inflated/driven.

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 05-11-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:02 AM
nosliwnaes
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The space saver spare in a bag that you can buy from Outmotoring and a few other vendors fits perfectly behind the passenger's seat.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:03 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I have a nice 12 volt air compressor and patch kit in all of my Minis.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:09 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I don't want some ugly tire hanging off the back of my car!!! I just can't go there!

Old 05-13-2018, 06:38 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nosliwnaes
The space saver spare in a bag that you can buy from Outmotoring and a few other vendors fits perfectly behind the passenger's seat.
My kids fit perfectly behind the passenger's seat! Well perfectly is an exaggeration but they wouldn't fit at all if there was a spare in the back. I also question the room in the front passenger's seat if it was pushed up to accommodate a spare tire in the back.

Quick Reply: R52 Spare Tire in a R52