R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Falling in love all over again...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:46 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Falling in love all over again...

Finally decided it was time to bite the bullet and take care of some nagging issues with my '07 R52. There wasn't anything "wrong" with the car but there were a few things that just weren't right.

Well, I'm so glad I got that done. It wasn't exactly cheap but one trip to the shop made me wonder why I took so long. A new motor mount cleared up some vibration and harshness. New rear brakes really made a difference too and a flushed system improved petal feel. Other tune-up items just brought things back to where they should be.

Bottom line - it was 18 degrees this morning and I still couldn't wait to take the old guy for a spin.

I admit this level of a enthusiasm from a repair visit is kinda odd...but I'm sure some of you understand.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:34 AM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
What vibrations were the motor mounts causing? At speed, at RPM ??
I have a vibration that I am chasing but it seems to be in the back or out of balance tires or bent rims.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jjcsnlynn
I have a vibration that I am chasing but it seems to be in the back or out of balance tires or bent rims.
I felt a couple of things:
- strong vibration at idle, especially when the car was in gear
- lurching during 1-2 and 2-3 shift under light to mid throttle

Nothing in the back of the car like you described. When coasting, the car was always smooth.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:42 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by chipfiev
Finally decided it was time to bite the bullet and take care of some nagging issues with my '07 R52. There wasn't anything "wrong" with the car but there were a few things that just weren't right.

Well, I'm so glad I got that done. It wasn't exactly cheap but one trip to the shop made me wonder why I took so long. A new motor mount cleared up some vibration and harshness. New rear brakes really made a difference too and a flushed system improved petal feel. Other tune-up items just brought things back to where they should be.

Bottom line - it was 18 degrees this morning and I still couldn't wait to take the old guy for a spin.

I admit this level of a enthusiasm from a repair visit is kinda odd...but I'm sure some of you understand.

I can appreciate your new found love. The upper motor mount when failed is quite insidious. The car just ride crap, but very hard to put the finger on the cause. When it happened to me, I immediately thought it was driveline or wheel/tire related. I just happened to spot the brown stains by the mount when I was checking other things under the bonnet. When it failed the hydraulic mount still have a thin layer of rubber as the vibration shock absorber of last resort.

Once the mount was replaced with a real OEM, the ride is silky smooth again.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:56 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I can appreciate your new found love. The upper motor mount when failed is quite insidious. The car just ride crap, but very hard to put the finger on the cause. When it happened to me, I immediately thought it was driveline or wheel/tire related. I just happened to spot the brown stains by the mount when I was checking other things under the bonnet. When it failed the hydraulic mount still have a thin layer of rubber as the vibration shock absorber of last resort.

Once the mount was replaced with a real OEM, the ride is silky smooth again.
Exactly! For a while, I was almost convinced the transmission was starting to go...at least this was much cheaper than that.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM
pnwR53S
engine mount failure

Originally Posted by jjcsnlynn
It is easy to check if is the engine mount. Visually inspect the area around the mount for signs of brown stain that is rusty antifreeze water. The mount fails is open or shut case like if you puncture a water balloon.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
It is easy to check if is the engine mount. Visually inspect the area around the mount for signs of brown stain that is rusty antifreeze water. The mount fails is open or shut case like if you puncture a water balloon.
I'll second that. Before I authorized the repair of the mount, my mechanic sent me a picture of the mount with visible dark dripping down the side.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Don't think it is antifreeze but rather hydraulic oil with rubber suspended within it.

Not 18 here today but did have my top down as well as last week on my trip to the Back of the Dragon and the Snake. Not to much better than the top down on a MINI (that has been modded just a little) on some great twisties.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by r53coop
Don't think it is antifreeze but rather hydraulic oil with rubber suspended within it.

Not 18 here today but did have my top down as well as last week on my trip to the Back of the Dragon and the Snake. Not to much better than the top down on a MINI (that has been modded just a little) on some great twisties.
I scrutinized the brown liquid rubbing between fingers, and it did not seem like it is oil base but water like. The brown stain on the painted surface is nasty and cannot be remove easily. My pepper white Mini is forever stained.

I wanted to cut one open to see what make it tick but the stainless steel housing proved to be too much trouble than I care to undertake. It will require a metal abrasive cutting disc, risking going to the emergency room for the heroic act in the name of automotive discovery.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I believe the facelift unit is described as a "hydraulic" mount by some vendors.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:18 PM
pnwR53S
motor mount

Hydraulic simply means contain liquid. It just happens oil is predominantly used in the applications because of many properties more suitable.

Here is a Mercedes mount cut open and the brave soul said it contain a smelly brown liquid that is water soluble. It would not surprise me the Mini one is very similar in design from the same OEM suppliers.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 PM
pnwR53S
abc of hydraulic motor mount

I've been reading up on the principles of hydraulic motor mounts. There are many variants of similar design. They mainly consist of two elements - a rubber spring, and a rubber bladder chamber that functions as hydraulic damper. Similar to suspension dampers the fluid is constricted when it passes back and forth between two chambers. Sure enough antifreeze is used.

Here is one excerpt:

Hydromounts from Vibracoustic offer the highest possible driving comfort. They combine the acoustic isolation function of a conventional rubber mount with balanced damping performance. In a hydromount, the main rubber spring has an upper and lower chamber. The chambers are connected by a series of canals and separated by a rubber valve. The mainspring is filled with hydraulic fluid which acts as secondary damping. On excitation or shock input, the rubber valve opens and closes the bypass channel redirecting glycol flow between the two chambers and changing the stiffness of the mount. To optimize the functioning of the grid, complex hole patterns are developed in painstaking test series to meet customers’ requirements.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:37 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
As the vehicle is subjected to below freezing temperature the liquid would have to be prepared accordingly. On both my cars, the goo that came out was black.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:28 AM
pnwR53S
black goo

As the vehicle is subjected to below freezing temperature the liquid would have to be prepared accordingly. On both my cars, the goo that came out was black.
Seeing so many different hydraulic mount all leak this dark brown goo, I wonder if it is added pigment by design. Like - OMG, what just happened!

Old 11-11-2017, 10:13 AM
jfrankjr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any other way to check this mount besides looking for brown fluid? My car is black and I washed the engine when I got it. I can't see any residue but I probably washed it away if it was there, and with it being black any stains wouldn't show.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
The goo is very difficult to clean off so even with a black car I would think you could feel it if you rubbed your finger across the area.

The things last in the 20-30,000 mile range. How old is your car and how long have you had it?

Old 11-13-2017, 06:07 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
I could not get mine all off, so I just used a factory paint pen and touched it up. That stuff is hard to get off and makes a mess.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tor-mount.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
The things last in the 20-30,000 mile range. How old is your car and how long have you had it?
Me? My R52 has just under 53K miles and is 10.5 years old. This was the first time the mount has been replaced.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 PM
pnwR53S
My stock mount died at 42,000 miles.