Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Belt Tensioner Question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:44 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt Tensioner Question...

Hi guys - can anyone tell me if the belt tensioner pulley (PULLEY ONLY) can be replaced on the tensioner, or must the entire belt tensioner be replaced? My wife's 2007 Cooper S Cabrio's pulley is squealing like crazy!

If this 'can' be done - if you have any recommendations for aftermarket OEM pulleys that will offer longer life, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Old 03-15-2017, 02:08 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
My advise would be to just replace the entire tensioner as the labor involved will be the same and not cost much more. Also with age the springs on the tensioner will loose some tension so it's a good idea to go ahead and replace. That is what we would do if it came in our shop here. Here is a new tensioner that is very cost effective and quality.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/superc...r-r52-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
My advise would be to just replace the entire tensioner as the labor involved will be the same and not cost much more. Also with age the springs on the tensioner will loose some tension so it's a good idea to go ahead and replace. That is what we would do if it came in our shop here. Here is a new tensioner that is very cost effective and quality.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/superc...r-r52-r53.html
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to do the work myself, as I'm currently out of work and was thinking 'just' the pulley might be a bit more coast effective.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The pulley does just bolt off but I don't know if all the bearing are the same from one make to the other.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:54 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemax61
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to do the work myself, as I'm currently out of work and was thinking 'just' the pulley might be a bit more coast effective.
If that's the case I could sell you a good used one cheap. Just email me

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-21-2017, 11:00 PM
Grandtheftfu
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check that idler pulley too while you are at it. mine was also faulty when I replaced the tensioner assembly. It spun like the orbit of Mars the bearing was so bad.
I had the triple failure, tensioner assembly, idler pulley and crank/harmonic balancer rotten. Check them all, mine is 06 and only had 60k miles at the time of failure.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:09 AM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Grandtheftfu
Check that idler pulley too while you are at it. mine was also faulty when I replaced the tensioner assembly. It spun like the orbit of Mars the bearing was so bad.
I had the triple failure, tensioner assembly, idler pulley and crank/harmonic balancer rotten. Check them all, mine is 06 and only had 60k miles at the time of failure.
Already been down that road! The harmonic balanced 'exploded' on my wife, while she was driving and proceeded to burn a circular hole in the inner fender, from where the outside half of the harmonic balancer was rubbing! Simple fact - a VERY POOR design! I bought an aftermarket harmonic balancer that's a one piece design, that's gel filled!