Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Axle Shafts question

Old 12-20-2016, 06:11 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Axle Shafts question

Hi all. I have a torn boot on the RH inner CV joint. Looks like the shaft should not be too hard to change, looks the same as on my Camry. When looking up options on Rock Auto, one brand of replacement specifies two parts for RH, Manual Trans: 35mm or 40mm I.B. Seal. I don't know what this is...is it the seal at the tranny? How would I know before removal which I have?

Also, some say "ABS ring not included". Can that be transferred from the old one?

Thanks, Jeremy

Old 12-20-2016, 08:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Save yourself the hassle and get an Original MINI axle. These aftermarket axles have proven time and time again that they are junk and just fail. We actually refuse to install them in our shop.
Most the time I will actually rebuild the axle myself as that keeps it reliable as it's still an oem part that way.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-20-2016, 10:19 PM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Is the rebuilding possible without special tools?

Old 12-22-2016, 10:52 AM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Bump

Hi Guys,

Way, thanks for the the input. Can this rebuilding be done in my garage, or does it require special tools?

Still looking for more input on my original questions. Anybody?

Thank you, Jeremy

Old 12-23-2016, 04:26 AM
BruceJ
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
IF there is no clicking from the axle it is likely that just a regrease/reboot will do the trick. If so GN Boots are good to go with and they come with grease. Bear in mind the time it will take to pull / teardown / clean / regrease / reboot / replace. You will also need a special tool to clamp the std CV axle boots back on.
Further, drivers side may need a slide hammer to get the axle out of the tranny but the Passenger side does not.
And.....Basically you can do all that work and have to do it again if axle fails cause the bearing may just have been worn out.
And... If they have been replaced previously with non OEM ones, the std OEM size boot may be too big to just reboot them.

All that being said I just bought new boots and a clamp tool and rebooted/regreased mine. I didn't think it was all that big a deal but I have been wrenching for several decades. I even rebooted the inner drivers side in place, cause I didn't want to spend another $50 for a slide hammer. That's kind of a pain due to space constraints and if you don't get it right you need another clamp.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an alternative to OEM the axle shop sells rebuilt oem's and I have heard the GN axles are as good as OEM's. I think Way has mentioned he rebuilds OEM axles if you are in the ATL area

Good Luck
Bruce

Old 12-23-2016, 08:00 AM
GearheadS
3rd Gear
Thx Bruce. Who is GN?

Old 12-23-2016, 10:36 AM
BruceJ
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My bust GKN/Loebro