Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

BCM issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:22 AM
viper11
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BCM issue

Hello,

I just purchased a 2004 S and did so knowing it had some potential issues. It's electric blue manual btw and look forward to putting some miles on her this summer! The previous owner started there was water from the sunroof which corroded the BCM pins and connectors. I have done some searching, but not came up with the answer I needed yet. The passenger is locked and central lock will not unlock it. Sunroof and radio do not work. All other electronics function as they should. I pulled the connector to the BCM and there is corrosion on the small connector. I have seen where some hardwire and by pass connector, replace BCM altogether (I am hours from a dealer so programming would be a pain), or swapped out for a used BCM. I hoping someone can let me know if the exact issues I have sound like the BCM? I assume so, but I know there are other electronics on that side of the car. If it is the BCM and connectors, are there any companies out there that transfer data ect? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM
spidertnt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by viper11
Hello,

The previous owner started there was water from the sunroof which corroded the BCM pins and connectors.
The pins can usually be cleaned . The connectors can be replaced or splced with used one. check ebay

Hello,

The passenger is locked and central lock will not unlock it.
Does it make a noise like its trying to unlock it ? you may need a new lock assembly. The motor for it gets full of crap and cannot open .

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repa...ck-Actuator-L/

Hello,
Sunroof and radio do not work.
Do you have an ipod adaptor installed these are known to cause errors in the communication system . This will stop the radio and sunroof from operation.

This happens to mine all the time ...just unplug it.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:41 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Hello,

I just purchased a 2004 S and did so knowing it had some potential issues. It's electric blue manual btw and look forward to putting some miles on her this summer! The previous owner started there was water from the sunroof which corroded the BCM pins and connectors. I have done some searching, but not came up with the answer I needed yet. The passenger is locked and central lock will not unlock it. Sunroof and radio do not work. All other electronics function as they should. I pulled the connector to the BCM and there is corrosion on the small connector. I have seen where some hardwire and by pass connector, replace BCM altogether (I am hours from a dealer so programming would be a pain), or swapped out for a used BCM. I hoping someone can let me know if the exact issues I have sound like the BCM? I assume so, but I know there are other electronics on that side of the car. If it is the BCM and connectors, are there any companies out there that transfer data ect? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Your symptoms are classic rain roof damaged BCM. When the rain water intrusion is bad and long enough, corrosion can occur on the BCM circuit board. In that case repair may involve repairing PCB traces, or replacing integrated circuits (ICs). There are a few owners with the skill successfully repair damaged BCM components.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 AM
viper11511
Neutral
Thank you both for the replies and suggestions. I picked up a good used set of BCM connectors as a majority of the corrosion seems to be centered on one connector. I may just splice that in, clean all pins, and see what happens. Thank you both again and if you know of anyone who repairs BCM's that would be helpful information. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2018, 05:54 AM
Monkey Juice
2nd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Greetings all!

I would never want to improperly hi-jack another thread,,,, but I just need to know an answer. I too, am concerned about the poor placement of the BCM on my 2005 r53. Now, I have only opened the sunroof less than a dozen times in 14 years ( I did open it recently to inspect for any issues...luckily the tracks were spotless..). So...should I be concerned about the mysterious drain tube (tubes?) receiving proper cleaning? My BCM gave me grief about 8 years ago...a brake light issue, but has since operated flawlessly, without any needed replacement.

I so apologize if I am breaking the house rules by hi-jacking.

Best,

Monkey Juice

Old 06-11-2018, 08:47 AM
viper11511
Neutral
Interesting that after looking at a wiring diagram the connector that's corroded does not have functions for the sunroof and radio. I have checked for an ipod adapter and see none. Makes me wonder if this is truly the issue. I have checked the fuses and they are good. Damn wiring stuff! Ha! Any input would be appreciated! Thanks again everyone!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:32 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
The drain tubes have a habit of coming loose from the sunroof cassette. I would check the drain tubes before replacing the BCM and add hose clamps to secure the tubes and hopefully prevent future issues.

Here's a post with some info: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-footwell.html

Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM
viper11511
Neutral
Thanks for the heads up. First thing I did was take care of the drain issue. I very much appreciate the comment and link though!!