North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r52-cabrio-talk-2005-2008-152/)
-   -   R52 Rear Rubber Top Molding is Rotting Away.... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r52-cabrio-talk-2005-2008/221130-rear-rubber-top-molding-is-rotting-away.html)

martinb 11-29-2011 03:27 PM

Rear Rubber Top Molding is Rotting Away....

I know this is a problem as I've read about it before. What I'd like to know is what are my options for replacing them? What I've been able to find are the left and right rubber moldings, which I believe include the chrome strip, for around 115 each. That's a lot of money for some rubber parts that shouldn't be deteriorating like that. None of my other moldings around the top or around the windows are doing that. They're in perfect condition. Just those two at the rear between the body and the top.

What's the cheapest source for replacement parts?

Are the replacement parts of better quality than the original?

Can I just by the rubber part and reuse the chrome?

Thanks much!

ScottRiqui 11-29-2011 04:13 PM

Same here on my 2006. It's just the curved pieces, and of course those are the $115 ones. I haven't known anyone that's actually ponied up for new ones, so I don't know if they're any better than the originals.

martinb 11-29-2011 04:30 PM

Hopefully someone will have some better news for us.

miniblucabrio 11-29-2011 06:54 PM

Have the same issue. Makes no sense why those pieces are rotting when the rest of the trim is perfectly fine :sly: Might be something to take up with Mini USA :roll:

yetti96 11-30-2011 04:56 AM

I have seen this before on other cabrios and unfortunately it seems all too common.

martinb 11-30-2011 09:24 AM

'Anybody got the phone number for Mini USA? Or for the regional offices in the SF Bay Area?

sloepoke 12-01-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by martinb (Post 3406923)
What's the cheapest source for replacement parts? Are the replacement parts of better quality than the original? Can I just by the rubber part and reuse the chrome?

I replaced mine a year ago, shortly after buying my HO R52. Got the parts from Classic Mini using their contact info here on NAM: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/classicauto

(1) 51137123437 Convertible Top Moulding Rear Left retail $149.77 / nam price $119.82
(1) 51137123438 Convertible Top Moulding Rear Right retail $149.77 / nam price $119.82

I don't know if Classic is the absolute cheapest, but shipping was very reasonable and the parts arrived quickly. A phone call made sure I got the right parts. Highly recommended.

The rubber on my rear trim pieces was severely deteriorated and cracked. All other trim and gaskets on the car are fine. Easy to remove/replace with exposed screws once you raise the back of the top for rear compartment access. Only gotcha is wire for the center brake light, which was a bit tough to access for disconnect/reconnect.

I can't tell any difference between the new part and the old, so I would be skeptical that any improvements were made. There's no separate part listing for the rubber, so I don't see any way to reuse the chrome unless you try some sort of a DIY solution.

weedsinfrederick 12-20-2011 11:18 AM

I know this may not help the majority of folks on this string, but keep in mind that MINI WILL fix this under warranty. I bought a 2007 that was actually first sold in 2008, so it is STILL under warranty. I got Sterling MINI in VA to replace the entire rubber stripping for free - they actually offered to do it.

Cadenza 01-05-2012 12:41 PM

The rubber part that dries out and rot is very thinly made. One of mine was replaced under warranty in 2010. The other began to crack and tore just 2 months ago.

Mini has kept the design the same because they love helping out their customers. Just like the motor mount, the LCA bushings, and the list goes on and on...

drdave 01-25-2012 03:56 PM

I also had these strips replaced under warranty in late 2010 on my 2008. As with all of yours mine was cracked and pieces of rubber were broken off.

Steve_LV 02-10-2012 10:27 AM

Any guidance on how these are removed and installed? Do they just pull off and press back on?

sloepoke 02-10-2012 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Steve_LV (Post 3450526)
Any guidance on how these are removed and installed? Do they just pull off and press back on?

A bunch of screws hold the trip pieces in place. From my prior post: "Easy to remove/replace with exposed screws once you raise the back of the top for rear compartment access. Only gotcha is wire for the center brake light, which was a bit tough to access for disconnect/reconnect."

Steve_LV 02-13-2012 06:56 PM

thanks, I was looking at the wrong part. What's falling apart on my car is the weatherstripping part on the side in the rear, but I see it's attached to a larger part that wraps around the back.

sloepoke 02-13-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_LV (Post 3452557)
thanks, I was looking at the wrong part. What's falling apart on my car is the weatherstripping part on the side in the rear, but I see it's attached to a larger part that wraps around the back.

Yes, the rubber is attached to the chrome as a single part. Take a look at the diagram via this link: http://parts.miniofsouthatlanta.com/...roduct=1311718

The parts to be replaced are 51137123437 MOLDING LEFT and 51137123438 MOLDING RIGHT.

martinb 02-14-2012 09:21 AM

Yep, it's all the same part. Eventually, it will fall apart in the rear as well.

I still haven't heard back from Mini yet, but I'm expecting a call or email this week. We'll see how it goes.

martinb 02-14-2012 12:23 PM

Well, I got my call from Mini USA. 'Said they aren't going to do anything. They said the part is not defective and that it's due to environmental conditions. My protestations of "all the rest of the rubber trim is in perfect condition" were to no avail. Mini simply is denying that there's anything wrong with this part. Buch a crap in my book. And my opinion of them has just been knocked down quite a few notches. And, of course, the person telling me this is not a technical person and has obviously been given scripted responses. A bunch of crap.

So, where can I get the best price for these parts?

And I may give it another shot at Mini.

sloepoke 02-14-2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by martinb (Post 3452962)

See my prior post in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3408123

If my car had been newer or under warranty, I definitely would have pushed it hard for a no-cost replacement. It's an obvious design or manufacturing defect that only affects certain trim pieces and despite the frequency of the problem, Mini has done nothing to improve the part or resolve the problem.

sloepoke 02-14-2012 03:47 PM

duplicate

footin35 04-14-2012 09:31 AM

Just ordered from Classic Mini. NAM price is $127 plus shipping. My local dealer price was $143. Minimania was $160 plus shipping.

dandil 04-16-2012 10:27 AM

I was told by a friend that the rear strip that runs around each corner had glue under its and the caused the dry rot. The other pieces of trim didn't. I CAN'T come up with any other explanation.

Cadenza 04-17-2012 02:46 AM

Well, I got my call from Mini USA. 'Said they aren't going to do anything. They said the part is not defective and that it's due to environmental conditions. My protestations of "all the rest of the rubber trim is in perfect condition" were to no avail. Mini simply is denying that there's anything wrong with this part. Buch a crap in my book. And my opinion of them has just been knocked down quite a few notches. And, of course, the person telling me this is not a technical person and has obviously been given scripted responses. A bunch of crap.

Yep... you'll get the scripted response when Mini refuses reason/logic.

Oh... it's environmental, it's outside influence. Bull crap is right. None of the rubber mouldings on my '87 Porsche and '01 VW have a crack or tear.

pyrrhusmj 04-22-2012 02:59 PM

Mine is only on one side and was replaced 2 times under warranty. Now I don't care because it isn't functional and my care after 126k and 6 years isn't a show car anymore. Although now that I am trading it in within 6 to 8 weeks (ordered a countryman, am a bit sad... ok a lot sad) I have though about fixing this since the dealer already told me thy will take more off for the problem then it will cost me to fix it.

Michael

cnzlr out 06-23-2012 06:26 PM

I'd say of all the errors that the R52 has this is my most irritable one. MINI knows 1000% that they installed the wrong product on the car and still charge us an obscene amount for a replacement. Can't some aftermarket company make a better product that will last and not cost so damn much...

martinb 06-24-2012 12:16 PM

After beating my head against the wall, I'm going to do this:

cnzlr out 06-24-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by martinb (Post 3537207)
After beating my head against the wall, I'm going to do this:

Find the absolute lowest price I can on those two parts from an authorized Mini dealer so I have the ability to demand they honor their two year parts warranty. I'll then install the new parts but hang onto the receipt AND the old parts. After about a year and a half, I'll take the receipt and my original parts to my local Mini dealer and demand that they replace them under the 2 year parts warranty. Since I highly doubt that the manufacturing date of the new parts or any other designator will be on the receipt, I see no reason why this won't work. Yes, little underhanded. But when Mini/BMW refuses to acknowledge crappy parts and then charges a fortune for them, AND gives their customers the run around, they deserve to be taken to some small degree. And I'd bet they'll still be making money on the deal. F'em.

I usually have very high morals when it comes to taking advantage of businesses. But apparently BMW/MINI DO NOT have any so why should I? It's all about taking care of yourself and your car in this case.

I like your thinking. :nod: