R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 New '06 MINI owner in AZ, convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 PM
sunsluv
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New '06 MINI owner in AZ, convertible top problem

Just traded in my 2009 Honda Fit Sport for a Chili Red 2006 MINI Convertible (standard) with only 32,000 miles! This is my first MINI & I just LOVE this car!

One problem though... Yesterday I took it to Best Buy and had them install an iPod adapter. That works great, BUT... now the top will only let me open the sunroof. When I push on the button to lower the top, the red light flashes on the left button (close top), and nothing happens. I am taking it back to Best Buy in the morning. Any ideas on what they might have done in the trunk area to disable the convertible top lowering mechanism?

I finally figured out what was wrong:
  • It was either I needed to reset the power windows. (they might have disconnected the battery during the install)
    and/or
  • I had to snap down the cargo cover in the trunk area. (it wasn't put back correctly after the install)

I thought I would leave this post instead of deleting it just in case anyone else has the same problems I just had.

Last edited by sunsluv; 11-23-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: I fixed the problem
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Cutting11S
1st Gear
Congratulations on your MINI!!! You will never be bored again with that in your driveway! Glad you got the top problem solved, just to let you know, it was the cargo cover. If you look at the left side of your boot (trunk), the cargo cover rests on a little black switch, if the switch is not pressed down completely, you will see the red flashing light. I hope your sales person showed you all of the great features! I love the convertible's ability to lock the back seats in place, lockable glovebox, and storage levers in the boot! Let me know if you have any questions about your car, I'd be glad to help! Convertibles have been pretty hot lately with my customers.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 PM
sunsluv
Neutral
Thanks for your help Cutting11S, and confirming that is was the cargo cover that was causing the problem. Now I know where that switch is.

Unfortunately, the sales person at the Honda dealer had no clue about the MINI. He didn't even know how to lower the top, or where the bonnet release was. My son and I had to figure everything out on our own. I have spent a lot of time reading, and rereading the manual, along with numerous hours on this forum to learn more about my MINI. I have a lot to learn, but that is part of the fun!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
It is always heart-warming to learn of another MINI adoption story; esp. a 2006, which was a very good MINI-year! Congrats & Happy Motoring from MAD-Town, WI.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Welcome to the forum, glad you solved the problem, enjoy your MINI.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Cutting11S
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sunsluv
Thanks for your help Cutting11S, and confirming that is was the cargo cover that was causing the problem. Now I know where that switch is.

Unfortunately, the sales person at the Honda dealer had no clue about the MINI. He didn't even know how to lower the top, or where the bonnet release was. My son and I had to figure everything out on our own. I have spent a lot of time reading, and rereading the manual, along with numerous hours on this forum to learn more about my MINI. I have a lot to learn, but that is part of the fun!
You're welcome! I know how tough that can be, people bring in MINIs on a daily basis that they bought from a non-MINI dealer that don't know anything about them, there is some really cool little features that you will discover while just playing around with the MINI, like when you hold down the unlock button on your key and the top opens! If you press it, and hold it down again, it will put the entire top down from the outside! Have fun!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:39 AM
sunsluv
Neutral
Key remote

Regarding the key, do I need to program it so I can open and close the top? When I push the unlock button twice and hold it down, nothing happens.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Ladidah
6th Gear
I have an '06 convertible, too. Mine's hyper blue.

The "top down when the button on the remote is pushed" is a dealer-programmable option. They will likely charge you to reprogram it now, but they can do it for you. I prefer mine to be able to only be opened from the regular button because I've heard some horror stories of tops getting lowered accidentally, without the owner knowing, and getting wet.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 AM
sunsluv
Neutral
Here is a photo where I "think" the sensor is located...

I'm not sure if it is a switch, but a sensor where the cargo cover locks in position near the rear left side.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Most likely it was the cargo thingy not being all the way down. It's happend a few times on mine.

Convertibles are the best!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Not4no1
5th Gear
Congratulations...Let the obsession begin

Yep, that is the switch.

If you want to test the key again for top-down here are the steps I follow:

1. Press unlock 2 times to unlock all the doors.

2. Pause a second then hold the unlock button again (nothing will happen for 5 seconds, then the sunroof & windows will open)

3. don't let go of the unlock button untill the windows are down or it will interupt the process.

4. Release button, then Press & hold unlock again and wait 5 seconds then the top should go down the rest of the way.

If that doesn't work, then you probably need to get programed.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:38 PM
b8b
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Not4no1
If that doesn't work, then you probably need to get programed.
Is it possible each key is different, or is the car itself that is programmed? Just hoping I don't have to go in a pay a bunch to have the programming done...

Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Brian_2276
Neutral
Thank you Cutting11s

Originally Posted by Cutting11S
Congratulations on your MINI!!! You will never be bored again with that in your driveway! Glad you got the top problem solved, just to let you know, it was the cargo cover. If you look at the left side of your boot (trunk), the cargo cover rests on a little black switch, if the switch is not pressed down completely, you will see the red flashing light. I hope your sales person showed you all of the great features! I love the convertible's ability to lock the back seats in place, lockable glovebox, and storage levers in the boot! Let me know if you have any questions about your car, I'd be glad to help! Convertibles have been pretty hot lately with my customers.

I did not know i could open the top from my key remote. My convertible was having the same problem with the top and fixing the sensor solved my problem. Thank you for your help and fun tips that i was unaware