Last of the Supercharged Official 100 - Page 7 - North American Motoring


R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

Last of the Supercharged Official 100

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #151  
Old 09-28-2017, 03:20 PM
indiman indiman is offline
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbalo View Post
Thanks for replying! I'm having a really hard time to remove the original ones. I think once I'm done I'm not going to replace them.
Benbalo, My R52 LOTSC had the original stripes on it when I bought it. The stripes were shot and baked into the paint. I tried a heat gun which was not effective. What worked for me was a 3m eraser wheel. It worked great. I was able to remove the stripes and residue but it didn't help with the ghosting that remained. I haven't decided if I'm putting new stripes on but I think I may have to in order to cover the ghosting. I hope that helps. Good luck.


Jeff
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indiman For This Useful Post:
benbalo (09-29-2017)
  #152  
Old 09-29-2017, 06:58 AM
benbalo benbalo is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Posts: 29
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks indiman, I will try that this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiman View Post
Benbalo, My R52 LOTSC had the original stripes on it when I bought it. The stripes were shot and baked into the paint. I tried a heat gun which was not effective. What worked for me was a 3m eraser wheel. It worked great. I was able to remove the stripes and residue but it didn't help with the ghosting that remained. I haven't decided if I'm putting new stripes on but I think I may have to in order to cover the ghosting. I hope that helps. Good luck.


Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 09-29-2017, 08:00 AM
indiman indiman is offline
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbalo View Post
Thanks indiman, I will try that this weekend!


There's a technique to using a 3m eraser wheel. Do an internet search for video demos/instructions.


I hope it works for you.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:15 AM
cadfael_tex cadfael_tex is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1,064
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thought has crossed my mind lately of selling mine. I'm surprised just how little kbb says it's worth. Is there any additional worth in it being one of the last 100?
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 11-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Whine not Walnuts's Avatar
Whine not Walnuts Whine not Walnuts is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 3,448
Thanked 288 Times in 272 Posts
Does KBB even have an option to check for the LO100?
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 11-07-2017, 03:54 PM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 24,330
Thanked 179 Times in 178 Posts
Not that i have seen, just JCW i believe.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 11-07-2017, 04:44 PM
cadfael_tex cadfael_tex is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1,064
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Not that i have seen, just JCW i believe.
Yep. No option for it.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 24,330
Thanked 179 Times in 178 Posts
Yep, it's too special.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 11-08-2017, 09:23 AM
cadfael_tex cadfael_tex is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1,064
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm gonna keep it. Just hope my insurance doesn't exceed our income when the key starts driving lol.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 12-25-2017, 07:29 PM
lotsdan lotsdan is offline
Neutral
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New LOTS owner

A surprise Christmas gift from my wife: 2008 Cooper S JCW w/Sidewalk trim. It’s #82 of the 100 - and only 52k miles. Seems in great shape and drives beautifully. Only bummer is there’s only one key fob left (not even the wallet spare) and of course the front badge is long gone if it was ever there. But otherwise it’s very clean aside from usual paint wear and tear.

Anyway - an amazing car! I’ve had a thing for vintage cars - old Alfas, Fiat, MG etc. So this Cooper feels like a great bridge of sorts between old spirit and all the modern advantages (and a car I can take the kids around in guilt free). I’ve mostly been grinning a lot and running nonexistent “errands” so far...
Attached Thumbnails
Last of the Supercharged Official 100-067e7725-f123-4300-b697-b5c3640cbab9.jpeg   Last of the Supercharged Official 100-e9246f9c-a343-4698-97e9-510fc0abddd1.jpeg  
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 12-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Whine not Walnuts's Avatar
Whine not Walnuts Whine not Walnuts is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 3,448
Thanked 288 Times in 272 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

A very nice example of the supercharged Gen1. Now you need to take the car several hours west and do some twisties around the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just did a day trip last week to do just that. The area south of 58 between Stuart and Meadows of Dan is a MINI heaven.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 12-26-2017, 08:21 AM
indiman indiman is offline
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsdan View Post
A surprise Christmas gift from my wife: 2008 Cooper S JCW w/Sidewalk trim. It’s #82 of the 100 - and only 52k miles. Seems in great shape and drives beautifully. Only bummer is there’s only one key fob left (not even the wallet spare) and of course the front badge is long gone if it was ever there. But otherwise it’s very clean aside from usual paint wear and tear.

Anyway - an amazing car! I’ve had a thing for vintage cars - old Alfas, Fiat, MG etc. So this Cooper feels like a great bridge of sorts between old spirit and all the modern advantages (and a car I can take the kids around in guilt free). I’ve mostly been grinning a lot and running nonexistent “errands” so far...
Awesome Christmas gift. Welcome to the Last of the Supercharged club!
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 12-26-2017, 09:25 AM
lotsdan lotsdan is offline
Neutral
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much - a great area to drive I agree. Took my old Alfa Spider in that area once.

Also an important correction - I finally squinted closely at the passenger doorsill badge - it is 71 of 100, not 82 (which was the number my wife recalled). I was too busy driivig to look closely yesterday!
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 12-26-2017, 10:38 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 24,330
Thanked 179 Times in 178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsdan View Post
A surprise Christmas gift from my wife: 2008 Cooper S JCW w/Sidewalk trim. It’s #82 of the 100 - and only 52k miles. Seems in great shape and drives beautifully. Only bummer is there’s only one key fob left (not even the wallet spare) and of course the front badge is long gone if it was ever there. But otherwise it’s very clean aside from usual paint wear and tear.

Anyway - an amazing car! I’ve had a thing for vintage cars - old Alfas, Fiat, MG etc. So this Cooper feels like a great bridge of sorts between old spirit and all the modern advantages (and a car I can take the kids around in guilt free). I’ve mostly been grinning a lot and running nonexistent “errands” so far...
Wow, nice gift. Yea the front badge might be in the glove box by chance, those things are NLA as back later in the post.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 02-07-2018, 03:53 PM
rauls4 rauls4 is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#36 Checking in

I am the proud new owner of #36. Bought her from California and had her shipped to Chicago.

Looks like the last owner was a bit harsh on her so she needs some cosmetic touch ups and will likely be doing some service stuff to her to keep her in top shape.

Would very much like to get my hands on one of the Last of the Supercharged badges!

Coming from an R57 ('10) having a JCS/Sidewalk and LOTSC is like a dream!
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 02-08-2018, 09:13 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is online now
Platinum Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wadsworth,OH
Posts: 24,330
Thanked 179 Times in 178 Posts
Again congrats!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECSTuning For This Useful Post:
rauls4 (02-08-2018)
  #167  
Old 02-09-2018, 04:17 PM
rauls4 rauls4 is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOTSC Badge Dimensions

I am giving up on finding a badge, however, I do a lot of 3D printing so, could one of the fortunate owners of one of the badges maybe provide the dimensions of the badge?

I'll be happy to put up the final file for printing at home or even ordering a metal one from Shapeways.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 02-09-2018, 04:23 PM
bradnic's Avatar
bradnic bradnic is offline
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 142
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauls4 View Post
I am giving up on finding a badge, however, I do a lot of 3D printing so, could one of the fortunate owners of one of the badges maybe provide the dimensions of the badge?

I'll be happy to put up the final file for printing at home or even ordering a metal one from Shapeways.

Thanks!
@rauls4 and I are neighbors.. we’ll be working on his #36 together. I’ll twist his arm and get a build thread going.

damn I miss our 06 Space Blue JCW
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bradnic For This Useful Post:
rauls4 (02-09-2018)
  #169  
Old 02-09-2018, 05:00 PM
rauls4 rauls4 is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Indiman!

I ordered my own custom Whalen shift **** for 36! I am so happy with it!





Thanks Indiman and Doug!
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 02-09-2018, 07:52 PM
rauls4 rauls4 is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Preliminary 3D model of LOTSC badge for 3D printing

This was modeled using my best guesstimate (3 inch diameter w/o counting star spikes, complete guess on depth of badge and embossing height)

If anyone can provide those measures in mm I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/2QuTSgRgaDt
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 02-10-2018, 08:38 PM
AeroJammin's Avatar
AeroJammin AeroJammin is offline
4th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL panhandle
Posts: 409
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauls4 View Post
This was modeled using my best guesstimate (3 inch diameter w/o counting star spikes, complete guess on depth of badge and embossing height)

If anyone can provide those measures in mm I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/2QuTSgRgaDt
Have you asked surferma4 if he can get those dimensions for you? He just restored a badge and may be the best chance of getting them. Don't forget they are magnetic and keep us updated!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4357518
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:30 AM
rauls4 rauls4 is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroJammin View Post
Have you asked surferma4 if he can get those dimensions for you? He just restored a badge and may be the best chance of getting them. Don't forget they are magnetic and keep us updated!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4357518
here is a 3D printed prototype. I am still researching finishes. This is a distressed finish based on acrylic and enamel gold. I did use iron filled filament so it will stick to a magnet.

I will post more results.


Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 02-11-2018, 03:22 PM
AeroJammin's Avatar
AeroJammin AeroJammin is offline
4th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: FL panhandle
Posts: 409
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauls4 View Post
[left]

here is a 3D printed prototype. I am still researching finishes. This is a distressed finish based on acrylic and enamel gold. I did use iron filled filament so it will stick to a magnet.
All of the badges I have are actually a magnet material in addition to whatever the badge holder is. You may want to go ahead and get a holder to make sure the holder design is compatible. For example my GoBadges holder would not allow for the spikes as it has a retainer ring that goes around the outside of the badge. The OEM MINI holder is just a slab of plastic so only the magnetic forces retain the badge. I've never messed with one so I don't know how strong the OEM magnetic holder is.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 02-11-2018, 03:33 PM
rauls4 rauls4 is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroJammin View Post
All of the badges I have are actually a magnet material in addition to whatever the badge holder is. You may want to go ahead and get a holder to make sure the holder design is compatible. For example my GoBadges holder would not allow for the spikes as it has a retainer ring that goes around the outside of the badge. The OEM MINI holder is just a slab of plastic so only the magnetic forces retain the badge. I've never messed with one so I don't know how strong the OEM magnetic holder is.
good to know. I may have to end up making my own mount or maybe using adhesive on a mini mount.

Here is a resin encased one I am trying out now:


Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 02-11-2018, 05:12 PM
rauls4 rauls4 is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauls4 View Post


good to know. I may have to end up making my own mount or maybe using adhesive on a mini mount.

Here is a resin encased one I am trying out now:


here is the final result using PLA plastic, acrylics, metallic sharpie and two part resin.

It made it the standard 3” diameter (w/o spikes) hopefully it will fit well on the badge holder.

Ill post photos after installation.



Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS:: MINI Windshield UV Sun Shade ///Matthew MINI Parts for Sale 2 09-15-2015 04:45 AM
FS:: Mini Cooper Supercharger Refresh Package BRAND NEW sempaipaul MINI Parts for Sale 4 09-09-2015 06:55 PM
How to Change the Oil in a R53 Mini Cooper Supercharger Mini Mania Drivetrain Products 0 09-03-2015 04:01 PM
MINI Cooper Intercooler Upgrades Mini Mania Drivetrain Products 0 09-01-2015 05:39 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM.


North American Motoring is an independently operated web site supporting MINI owners and enthusiastsworldwide. As such it has no official relationship with MINI USA, BMW AG, or BMW of North America.All original artwork and design is Copyright © 2002-2004 North American Motoring. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.