North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Italian Job REVIEWS (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/9932-italian-job-reviews.html)

rygold 05-19-2003 03:00 PM

Here's an idea:

The Italian Job is just a couple of weeks away from opening. Some MCOers have already seen it, and posted comments.

How about a thread just for our reviews? We can review the movie for substance, plot, storyline, depth, acting, etc, - or - just for the MINI scenes. You choose.

OK - let's get started with anything you might have to say.

I'd like to start the reviews, but I guess I'm not special enough to have caught a preview!

The trailer is sweet, though! (I doubt we'll see this kind of driving here!

mightyMiniz 05-19-2003 11:34 PM

MightyMiniZ Italian Job Review

Well, there's mine....

Saw it... seems like Ages ago...

:cool:

kgdblu 05-20-2003 07:48 AM

>>
>>
>> We can review the movie for substance, plot, storyline, depth, acting, etc, -

LOL...I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for the aforementioned criteria...

:lol: :lol:

Killerbee 05-20-2003 11:32 AM

Enjoyed it a lot but felt that it was a little too much like "Mission Impossible" this time (a bit too much tech stuff.) Charlize is major eye candy, Ed Norton played the same role as he did in a movie with Robert De Niro, and the MINIs stole the show. Edward seemed to think he was being carried away as a joke near the end of the movie and the ending left me a little flat. We went to the screening with the driver of the red Mini in the original version just to add a little something to the atmosphere. I look forward to seeing the final cut on the 29th. :grin:

rygold 05-20-2003 05:47 PM

Killerbee: Great colour combo! Your MINI rocks!

Killerbee 05-20-2003 07:06 PM

Thanks :grin: My original Killerbee was a yellow Miata with black stripes...sound familiar? Your Sharona is the Anti-Killerbee in your color combo....the blacked out grill looks great with the black stripes.
My major criticism of the movie was that there were no black or yellow MINIs but that would not have been in concert with the original movie. If only they had known that black and yellow cars go faster...."they woulda been the champs" in the Italian Job. :wink:

rygold 05-21-2003 01:12 PM

I'm special now!

Today I received an invitation from MINI Canada to a May 29 Sneak Preview of the Italian Job. They're hosting 3 screenings: Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

I had to respond to the snail mail by registering online for the tickets - and provide my VIN. The tickets will be mailed. Exclusive - only 250 per location.

Now - does that mean I'm going to see 250 MINIs in one place in Toronto? Uh huh.

May 29 - the reviews will pour in from across Canada. Just wait. You'll see. We're prolific movie goers up in the True North!

rygold 05-21-2003 08:03 PM

Paramount Screening Review:

Check this thread.

Thanks, mightMINIZ!

mightyMiniz 05-21-2003 09:20 PM

hey the cut you saw this week... is the final cut... :eek:

rygold 05-22-2003 06:28 PM

Sneak Preview this Saturday!

At least they've announced it in Toronto. How 'bout near you? Any general admission Saturday sneaks?

I'm planning on getting to the Paramount Theatre in Toronto early for the MINI Owners sneak (May 29th), and leaving a one-page flyer print of this web page in order to fill the ranks of our entrants!

We've still got room for a few more.....................!

MINIACK 05-22-2003 09:01 PM

Yep! Theres a sneek preview going on here in the Seattle area. :cool:

P.Phresh 05-23-2003 09:40 AM

caught the movie last night.... OMG what a great movie... MINIs galore... although i was the only MINI there last night, odd. Nonetheless, great movie, great action sequences and great cast... cars and actors!!

rygold 05-24-2003 09:40 AM

Sneak Previews Tonight - Saturday Evening.

Let the reviews MOTOR in!

Is there any doubt as to P.Phresh's opinion?

COOPERation 05-25-2003 05:54 AM

What's up with Spiderman???

Went to the sneak preview in Maryland last night. Very entertaining movie...could have been better but who cares, the MINIs were great!

I live in a rural Maryland town with few other MINIs. I only saw one other MINI in the parking lot, but there could have been more. The theatre was a little over half full, and I wondered why these other patrons were there, it being a sneak preview and having fifteen other choices at the cineplex. When the MINIs first appeared on-screen there was a definite outbreak of enthusiasm from the crowd. They were apparently there for the same reason I was...small world or should I say MINI world...

Spiderman???

Legs 05-25-2003 11:27 AM

Rural area........ we wait for the regular showing. Ours is the only MINI Cooper for miles and there was a fan club around the car after seeing "Bourne Identity" at our local theater. The crowds will have decreased some by now.
Anyway, first I want to see the original "Italian Job," 1969, again, so I ordered it at the library. Evidently hard to find, but will be fun to look back.

bbmykal 05-25-2003 07:33 PM

>>What's up with Spiderman???
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Well done!

rygold 05-25-2003 07:49 PM

OK - this has nothing to do with The Italian Job - but as you know, my MCS is known as "My Sharona", after the great musical classic. In fact, My Sharona was the song I blasted on the radio when I picked up my MINI, and drove off the dealer's lot.

Tonight I saw a movie trailer for the new Charlie's Angels movie. The song My Sharona blasted through the entire trailer.

Hint of things to come, or what?

Now, let's get back on topic...!

rygold 05-26-2003 04:09 PM

Wow - I'm surprised!

So few of us made it to the Saturday sneak preview. I guess we wait for the torrents of reviews to come after May 30th!

rygold 05-26-2003 07:54 PM

In case you guys missed the thread, this is a MINI Italian Job Must See!

Spend some time - you gotta check out the behind the scenes 15 meg video. It Rocks!

ghawk24 05-27-2003 08:13 AM

I went to the sneak preview in Alexandria, VA on Saturday, and really enjoyed the movie. I was curious as to why they had one MCS and two MC's, with no apparent reason for one of them being an S.

We got up to the screen 30 minutes before the movie, and were in the back of a line to get in. The movie sold out well before showing time, so I'm glad we have internet ticket sales!

Minigirl 05-28-2003 08:02 PM

We had a preview in Minnesota and there were probably 50-75 MINIs there! There were even like 7-8 original MINIs! They also had the stuntdriver come and show how the stunts from the movie were done! It was really pretty cool!

SCA 05-28-2003 08:12 PM

There was a pre-screening in SF last night. There were over 100 MINIs there, and it was organized so that most of the cars (old and new Minis) circled the theater for about 30 minutes and then parked, with owners getting in free. Really fun event, and the movie was actually quite good. Good characters and plot, but of course the MINIs stole the show! GRRRRREAT chase sceens and stunt driving in mostly new and one classic Mini. Good stuff.

And Charlize is pretty hot, of course! :razz:

rygold 05-28-2003 08:41 PM

The MINI owner sneak preview is Thurs. May 29 in Toronto. 250 MINI owners and a guest-a-piece! We've got special parking (for lots, but not all) of us. We've been told to watch for the MINI parking attendants.

I'll give you the review from the True North after the big event. The sneak is taking place in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver - each venue booked and sponsored by MINI Canada.

I've got the OK from the theatre to hand out
flyers for this MINIamazing event!

That should fill our quota! I'll let you know......

C4 05-29-2003 07:08 AM

I agree that the movie was great fun, the actors top notch and the MINIs really did stole the show with their hairspinning stunts. As to the plot of the movie, it borrows too many elements from the old "Mission Impossible" TV series (Minus the burning reel to reel tape player) and the sequence of events is too predictible. Otherwise, it is a very entertaining and fun movie. I was pleased to see that the hardcore violence was kept to a minimum as well as the foul language. There are no sex scenes (Well there is sort of one with one of the characters sleeping with "Becky" the TV Cable company worker).

asodestrom 05-29-2003 09:23 AM

I only wish the plan to steal the gold from the house didn't go bad. I was looking forward to seeing MINIs drive through that house.

Andy