North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Favorite Motoring Routes: Southern California (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/97554-favorite-motoring-routes-southern-california.html)

Guest 04-09-2007 02:01 AM

Favorite Motoring Routes: Southern California

I'm considering a day trip to just motor around for the whole day, perhaps with a breakfast, lunch and dinner stop somewhere. Rather than just asking for suggestions for me, I thought we could make it state specific, and have people start a few different threads, because as I think about it, this could actually be a pretty cool topic for everyone to contribute to :).

So I'll start this one on California, Southern mainly since that's where I live. Feel free to post one specific to your state :thumbsup:.

I love Canyon drives. Tuna Canyon up in the mountains near Calabasas/Malibu is a blast to drive. Hell, most of the mountain passes that go to Malibu from the Valley are lots of fun.

I've never actually planned a "Day Trip" where you hopped in the car early in the morning and just drove for 7-8 hours finding cool places along the way, it seems like it'd be fun though :-).

Sorry if this seems uber random. I just watched Cars, and somehow that inspired me to cruise around all day :grin:.

ChiliWORKs 04-09-2007 02:48 AM

Definite cool thing about the mainland...you can keep driving until you end up in another state or coast. Here, you could drive until you end up where you started. :impatient

BTW, cool thread. :thumbsup:

miminut 04-09-2007 06:06 AM

Why don't you referance pashnit.com. You'll find great rides in the San Bernadino area.

Coop-a-Loop 04-09-2007 07:52 AM

Fun Long Drive

Up the coast on Hwy. 1 to Santa Cruz from Simi Valley......not too many drives better than that long one. In fact I'm gonna do that drive this coming weekend.......Oh yea!:wink:

Guest 04-09-2007 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by miminut (Post 1466692)
Why don't you referance pashnit.com. You'll find great rides in the San Bernadino area.

Definatly a cool site. I'm not sure I want to spend 20 bucks just right now though. I figured we could try to provoke a discussion on here, since everyone is going to have their own favorites, and not everyone has time to drive up to northern california to check out some of the roads he's talking about.

Guest 04-09-2007 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Coop-a-Loop (Post 1466831)
Up the coast on Hwy. 1 to Santa Cruz from Simi Valley......not too many drives better than that long one. In fact I'm gonna do that drive this coming weekend.......Oh yea!:wink:

Where can you pick up PCH in Simi? I live about 10-15 minutes from Simi, I was under the impression it pretty much started and endeed on the coast. Or are you talking about taking one of the canyon roads to PCH, then driving it up north.

Coop-a-Loop 04-09-2007 10:46 AM

I usually jump on Hwy 1 up around San Luis Obisbo......101 fwy up to SLO.

myzamboni 04-09-2007 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by rustyboy155 (Post 1467118)
Definatly a cool site. I'm not sure I want to spend 20 bucks just right now though. I figured we could try to provoke a discussion on here, since everyone is going to have their own favorites, and not everyone has time to drive up to northern california to check out some of the roads he's talking about.

Bummer. Pashnit used to be free.

Guest 04-09-2007 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by myzamboni (Post 1467149)
Bummer. Pashnit used to be free.

Like all marketable products, people see a way to make some money and do it :lol:. I don't mind paying the $20, it's not that big of a deal.

I just figured we have our own forum, and plenty of people with motoring time on their hands. Why not use our forum to plan out some motoring routes. That's what we do isn't it? We should be the kings of Motoring Routes! Our cars are all about Motoring :thumbsup:.

MLPearson79 04-09-2007 11:36 AM

I highly recommend going to a book store and checking out the travel section. I just bought two really good 'road trip' books (the names of both escape me right now) that give all kinds of different routes. One is on a "national" level and the other is specific to Northern California and they made other regional ones. Very cool, places I never think of.

If I lived in SoCal, PCH would be a regular weekend drive for me.

IOmini_punkin 04-09-2007 01:08 PM

Try Mad Maps. My MINI dealer gave me a copy when I accepted my car. It was a nice touch. http://www.madmaps.com/store/product...products_id=34
If you know of an actual map store, which I dd, you can buy one there. I'm not sure about up there but if San Diego has one I'm sure a metropolis like LA/Orange has got to have at least one.

CFMINI 04-09-2007 02:11 PM

From Simi Valley go west on the 118 to Moorpark - get off on New Los Angeles Ave. Take 23 north - cut through the lemon groves to Mountain Road to Santa Paula at the 126.

Take 150 West towards Ojai - great scenic drive. At Ojai take 33 North - fantastic twisties. Go east on Lockwood Valley Road back towards the 5. Take 5 south for a bit and then 138 east towards Palmdale.

At that point you have your choice of either Lake Hughes Road, San Francisquito Canyon Road or Bouquet Canyon Road back south towards Santa Clarita and the 5 back to the 118 and Simi.

Get the AAA map Los Angeles & Orange Counties and Vicinity - it is all there.

Guest 04-12-2007 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by CFMINI (Post 1467620)
From Simi Valley go west on the 118 to Moorpark - get off on New Los Angeles Ave. Take 23 north - cut through the lemon groves to Mountain Road to Santa Paula at the 126.

Take 150 West towards Ojai - great scenic drive. At Ojai take 33 North - fantastic twisties. Go east on Lockwood Valley Road back towards the 5. Take 5 south for a bit and then 138 east towards Palmdale.

At that point you have your choice of either Lake Hughes Road, San Francisquito Canyon Road or Bouquet Canyon Road back south towards Santa Clarita and the 5 back to the 118 and Simi.

Get the AAA map Los Angeles & Orange Counties and Vicinity - it is all there.

Great suggestions, keep em comin!