North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 clutch pedal stuck to floor; any clutch master or slave cylinder deaths? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/84811-clutch-pedal-stuck-to-floor-any-clutch-master-or-slave-cylinder-deaths.html)

dwm 11-19-2006 08:23 PM

clutch pedal stuck to floor; any clutch master or slave cylinder deaths?

I haven't had time the diagnosis this today (spent the whole day in a hospital), but...

Today my clutch pedal stuck to the floor, but the clutch was engaged. I ran into some stop-and-go traffic on the highway. Had some trouble getting it downshifted, then once in 1st gear, the pedal was stuck on the floor. But the clutch engaged. A little disconcerting to have the car moving under power with the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. :)

I put the car in neutral, pushed it to the side of the road, and pulled the pedal back up. No obstructions, no noise, just felt like I was drawing hydraulic fluid. No problem afterward.

Anyone have a clutch master cylinder go out on them? Or the slave cylinder? Any service bulletins I should know about? I tried searching here, but came up with nothing.

Car has 45,000 miles, but only 600 of them are mine. I never met the original owner, this was a dealer trade-in. Before someone tells me to take it to the dealer... it's over an hour away, and as a general rule I don't let dealer techs work on cars I own. I do my own work, and I have the tools (including 21 5 030). I'm just curious if this has come up before so I know where to look first. My current theory is that the clutch master cylinder needs replacement since the pedal stuck to the floor. Hopefully there isn't brake fluid under my carpet...

not-so-rednwhitecooper 11-19-2006 08:28 PM

Nothing new, just a slave cylinder.

The slave cylinder isnt fun to replace, but its by no means a challenging project.

Remove airbox and throttle body, remove slave cylinder and rubber and hardline, replace with new hardline, rubber line and slave and bleed the cylinder. easy as that.

dwm 11-19-2006 09:07 PM

Alright, I'm confused. Why would I touch the airbox and throttle body when replacing the slave cylinder? I haven't been under the car yet (still new to me), but the TIS shows what I'd expect... remove the underbody protection and it's accessible. Oh, you mean to replace the line to the resorvoir?

not-so-rednwhitecooper 11-19-2006 09:15 PM

Im pretty sure the lines and the slave cylinder come as one piece.

Ive only removed one and it was all in once piece.

dwm 11-19-2006 09:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
TIS docs.

I'm not sure it's the slave cylinder at fault here, hopefully I'll get a chance to poke at it this week.

DeniseK 11-20-2006 09:50 AM

Wouldn't turning the ignition key to the off position have brought you to a stop?

dwm 11-20-2006 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by DeniseK (Post 1234418)
Wouldn't turning the ignition key to the off position have brought you to a stop?

Brakes work just dandy for stopping a car. Stopping wasn't the problem.

Jtrem 11-21-2006 12:07 AM

looks like its time for a new clutch