R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Driving shoes as daily shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:38 AM
MedicMan55
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving shoes as daily shoes

Hey everyone,

I know this is kinda OT, but I'll ask my question and you can send it aside if you like. I own some pilotis and I wear them to drive my MINI all the time, its the only shoe. I've been wearing them in, and they are getting pretty comfortable. But I'm afraid I am going to wear them out quickly if I wear them as my normal, everyday shoe? I'm wearing them right now at work, and they feel great! I am just kinda worried that they will wear out superfast.

Medic

Old 10-09-2006, 07:49 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MedicMan55
But I'm afraid I am going to wear them out quickly if I wear them as my normal, everyday shoe?
Medic
SO get another pair If they are comfortable, thats cool

Old 10-09-2006, 07:55 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
yeah, if they are comfortable they should be fine, although don't do too much athletic stuff in them, as driving shoes have very thin soles (for better pedal feel) and as such usually don't have much cushioning or durable soles.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if I'd do it....

not only will you eat them up quickly, they don't have the arch support you need for walking etc over longer times. Find some shoes that fit that are meant for what you're going to do with them.

Matt

Old 10-09-2006, 08:41 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
not only will you eat them up quickly, they don't have the arch support you need for walking etc over longer times. Find some shoes that fit that are meant for what you're going to do with them.

Matt
While they may wear out quickly, how is it different than wearing mocassins or any flat shoe with no support? Humans have been going barefoot for ... well forever.

Now if your hiking, then get some good boots but for walking around the office

I have found if you have some comfortable clothes, no matter what they may be, BUY TWO. You may not be able to find it again and ... once you've just about got them broken in ... no matter what ... the wife will think they are ratty and throw them out So hide them

Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 AM
machineguncharley
4th Gear
Yep, I've got to agree with chows...generally if you find clothing that you are crazy about, it's always best to get two of them and stick one in the bottom of the closet (if not more). It never fails...you find something you like and the next thing you know, it's gone FOREVER!

Chuck

Old 10-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
My Piloti Spyders ARE my daily shoe As a matter of fact, they replaced a pair of Oakley driving shoes that had NO support at all. The Piloti's give (me) good arch support and cushion well. I've been wearing them everyday since mid-august and they're showing a bit of wear on the soles, but no more than I would have expected

Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 AM
cr_03_mcs
2nd Gear
The Pilotis I've had in the past wear like normal running shoes. They don't wear out extra quick like you think they will. They also have plenty of arch support. Just my .02 worth.
Doug

Old 10-09-2006, 09:35 AM
anathema
3rd Gear
I wear my puma and adidas driving shoes all the time, when I'm not working that is..

Adidas goodyear lowcut (tuscany?) in leather. They are comfy!!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
The less expensive Pilotis are dual-purpose driving/casual shoes that are fine for everyday wear, and they will stand up to a lot more use and abuse than dedicated racing shoes. They have thicker soles than the single purpose fire resistant racing shoes (although some of the driving/casual Pilotis are fire resistant too). I have both the Piloti Spyders and some G-Force thin sole nomex lined racing shoes. I never wear the racing shoes unless I'm.........racing. They just wouldn't last more than a few weeks at most.

-Keith

Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have been wearing Piloti monco's for everyday wear with no issues and they are 2 years old. I chose them as my SEMA shoes last year as that is the most walking and standing around I will ever do ! I have a pair of Piloti DTM's as well and wore them for one 14 hr work day awhile ago and they were very comfortable but they are brand new so I do not know about long term wear. Can't go wrong with Piloti in my opinion and they are very reasonably priced.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Califzeph
5th Gear
I have been wearing my Piloti's as a daily shoe for about two years, except for in the Summer when I wear Zorries.

No unusual wear yet!

Old 10-09-2006, 10:25 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
Originally Posted by anathema
I wear my puma and adidas driving shoes all the time, when I'm not working that is..

yup, the tuscanies, I've got them too, they are quite comfy, not as comfy as my running shoes (which have better support/cushioning) but fine for office wear. . .

Old 10-09-2006, 11:08 AM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
I wear my Piloti's everyday, and they are great!!

Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll try the Pilotis next...

and this may explain why there was so much business at thier booth at Montery!

Matt

Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted about my Piloti Spyders over two years ago

http://www.littlemini.us/technical/d...hoes/index.asp

Initially wore them only while driving--always taking them off when I had to get out of the car--but over time I got lazy and just started wearing them everywhere I went. I've even found myself detailing customers cars in them--when I forgot to bring a spare pair of shoes.

The soles are showing wear--the tread pattern is smooth on the ball of my foot. I'm getting ready to buy another pair in probably 6 months. They are definitely more comfortable than a lot of shoes I wear. I like how I can slip them on, and just cinch them tight.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:31 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by anathema

+1. I have my Tuscany's in brown suede and wear them all the time.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:01 PM
minimusprime
6th Gear
not to pull this thread even more ot but I'm torn between the spyders and the prototipo's along with the other piloti's on this site...

I'm more or less looking for a shoe that would be best for driving. If I have to change them when i get out of the car I could care less I just want the best pedal feel possible.

http://www.piloti.com/products/product_list.aspx

Old 10-09-2006, 12:17 PM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
Originally Posted by prime-drk-
not to pull this thread even more ot but I'm torn between the spyders and the prototipo's along with the other piloti's on this site...

I go the prototipo's and they are great.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:38 PM
MedicMan55
3rd Gear
Alright then, I can get away with wearing them all around. I own some Monacos and they look pretty cool, and they have totally formed to my foot, and it feels great. Piloti makes some good shoes.

Medic

Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MedicMan55
Hey everyone,

I know this is kinda OT, but I'll ask my question and you can send it aside if you like. I own some pilotis and I wear them to drive my MINI all the time, its the only shoe. I've been wearing them in, and they are getting pretty comfortable. But I'm afraid I am going to wear them out quickly if I wear them as my normal, everyday shoe? I'm wearing them right now at work, and they feel great! I am just kinda worried that they will wear out superfast.

Medic
whenever i wear my piloti's to work on our casual Friday's, i get
tons of complements from people. hey, it's a good excuse to
wear them out and get another new pair in a few months.

yes, these are extremely comfy shoes, that's for sure.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
(OT post, sorry! )

i was looknig at the piloti website, and i want to get me a pair of Monza's. Anyone know if these shoes run small or large when you are sizing them?

I wear a 9 1/2 in converse all-stars and a 11 in my Ipath Yogi's.

not sure which size to order.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:25 PM
theblueone
1st Gear
If you get two pairs for daily use, don't just stick one pair in the bottom of a closet until you wear the first one out. Alternate between the two pairs everyday. This gives each pair a day to dry out between wear, thus keeping the padding like new. For the same reason, always wear clean, dry socks, hopefully made out of a moisture-wicking material.

I've followed this procedure as long as my feet have been 8.5s (about 10 years) and have yet to wear out a pair of shoes.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Fred911
3rd Gear
I wear my flipflops every day and slip them off to get that naked hands on feel....even in winter. It can be very invigorating at 10 degrees.....

Old 10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
dix
6th Gear
Whenever I find a pair of shoes, driving or everyday, that fits and are comfy, I run back to the store and buy another pair. If you're careful, the Piloti's will last quite some time. I have a pair that's nearly three years old.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Driving shoes as daily shoes