R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Head, cam, injectors, tune,

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Jaydavid
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head, cam, injectors, tune,

Ive been saving and in december im going to get the jump into more serious mods ive worked out a budget of 6k. I want to hear from people who have headwork a cam injectors ect. Anyone in California? Hows the smog with such mods can you legitimately pass?

Performance numbers Quarter mile times?

Brand suggestions? (head, cam, injectors, tune)

HP, torque?

Whats a good clutch to run with all the power?

Thanks fellow modders

Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 AM
MeBoosta
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same page. I've been talking to an engine builder and tuner who has been tweaking BMW track cars for a decade and he recommended a few mods on my list.. I'm going with the ViPEC stand alone for an ECU. It isn't cheap, but its said to be well worth it. Other mods include 500cc injectors, 17% pulley, GP intercooler, Schirck cam, Full exhaust, Alta intake, and MSD coil with new wires and plugs.
Im also doing a baffled oil pan and stage 2 clutch while I'm at it.. Im sure ill come across other small things that will be in need of replacement, I'm expecting to spend 6-7k with everything..

Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 AM
MeBoosta
2nd Gear
MeBoosta;3791078"]I'm in the same page. I've been talking to an engine builder and tuner who has been tweaking BMW track cars for a decade and he recommended a few mods on my list.. I'm going with the ViPEC stand alone for an ECU. It isn't cheap, but its said to be well worth it. Other mods include 500cc injectors, 17% pulley, motor mounts with engine damper, GP intercooler, Schirck cam, Full exhaust, Alta intake, and MSD coil with new wires and plugs.
Im also doing a baffled oil pan, Clutch Master FX200 stage 2 clutch along with a Quaife diff while I'm at it.. Im sure ill come across other small things that will be in need of replacement, I'm expecting to spend 6-7k with everything..

We're not too sure how much power that It'll be putting down, should be around 280whp.. As long as I get to walk my friend's EVO 8 I will be happy.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Head, cam & injectors you're looking at a "true" 230-240'ish WHP, with the proper tuning.

Anything else more specific would just be speculation as you run into the "every car is different" scenario. Get the best you can out of your car & it will be, what it is. But that being said, the realm you're getting into will absolutely suprise you, I can pretty much bet one of two things will happen, either you won't be able to get the smile off your face, or you'll just want more...., although there's a good chance for both.

As far as clutch's, unless you're having problems, stick to the OEM for the time being, torque is your enemy here, not ness. hp, and the factory setup has been pretty good up to 240 ft/lb or so, basicly, don't change it until you need to, and when you do, your descision should prob. depend more on your driving style & needs than "which will hold the most power", most of the aftermarkets would be fine for your power level.

Oh, don't let the 230-240'ish fool you, a true 240whp Mini has a better power/weight ratio than a factory M3.

Have fun.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 08-13-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Jaydavid
3rd Gear
Whoah u have some impressive mods there blwnaway! Might i ask why you didnt get tuned by rmw? Is it overhyped? I saw the price i think it was 350 and i heard good things so i was intendining to get the head and cam work done at minicorsa and then take it to rmw and get the tune.

Also is the stock intercooler suffiecent i have a 15% pulley not 17 because i was worried about heat

I was also looking at the thumper tpr 1 head because it has stock valve size its supposed to keep the down low power and mid range better than the top end rmw heads any opions on the head? Anyone running thumper

Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 AM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Call Jan. Some of what you plan to spend money on is bling, but pointless. Get a second opinion.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 AM
ThickFREAKness216
2nd Gear
JayDavid, I just installed a Thumper TPR1 and NS1 cam about three months ago now. I love setup, it runs like a whole new car. I can't say actual HP increase because I haven't had a tune/dyno yet. Thumper is really great to work with he is responsive and overall great customer service. I originally had the adjustable cam gear as well but had some timing issues (unrelated to Thumper parts and due to my own installation learning curve) and ended up with the stock sprocket. (Still have the Thumper adjustable sprocket if you are interested in purchasing) Overall I love the setup especially the NS1 cam because I didn't need to get the tune right away (on a budget). I am currently running 380cc injectors until I can afford tune/injectors. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
-Brian

Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jaydavid
Whoah u have some impressive mods there blwnaway! Might i ask why you didnt get tuned by rmw? Is it overhyped? I saw the price i think it was 350 and i heard good things so i was intendining to get the head and cam work done at minicorsa and then take it to rmw and get the tune.

Also is the stock intercooler suffiecent i have a 15% pulley not 17 because i was worried about heat

I was also looking at the thumper tpr 1 head because it has stock valve size its supposed to keep the down low power and mid range better than the top end rmw heads any opions on the head? Anyone running thumper
No, the RMW tune is not hype, I had one for a while, then because of the injector change the Mynes guy's tuned my car, I just prefered the way they did some things, explained some things and the products that they offered better suited my needs.

BMW / Siemens is not the same as other mfg'rs, it DOES take special knowledge, thats the most important thing to remember when picking a tuner for our cars.

As far as the head goes, yes the thought you have about the TPR1 is correct, but you will also not make near the gains overall, Thmpr offers options for those who want them, but if you're looking for all out performance you should go bigger, then you can work on getting some of your low to mid back with your cam choice.

Either of the top BVH's (TPR2, TPR2r or RMW) will work just fine for everyday use, and the debate will go on & on as to whose is best, do some research, figure out which suits your needs, wallet & other sensabilities and go for it, hardest part is really trying to figure out ahead of time, how far you want to go & spending accordingly. (Basicly it really sux to find out you have to re-do or re-buy something because you end up wanting more)

As far as I/C's go, for street use you're just fine, a few short hard pulls & you're really not going to notice that much of a difference, track use is where a better I/C will really shine. IMO, once you get to the point where it becomes an issue, when it comes to street use or drag racing (at the track :D) you're much better off spending the money on a good W/M system, better cooling exactly when you need it.

Oh, just re-read your OP, as far as smog goes, as long as you're using the OEM CAT you should be fine (it's actually the best option anyway) but, back to Heads & Cams, anything more than a TPR1 & NS1 combo, a Header is a MUST, (would be good to have one regardless) you'll lose a lot of potential power without one, rember the idea behind the Head & Cam is "better breathing" sensless to choke it off afterwards. But you really need to talk to other performance guy's locally since you guy's have to go through a pretty strict visual also.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 08-13-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 AM
MeBoosta
2nd Gear

Well the tuner who is going to map my car was my instructor at BMW ADP. He is well known for being able to extract every bit of hp that the engine could put out, his engines also last a good period of time.

He wants to show me the basics of mapping a stand alone.. He's also not charging me anything and I won't need to ship my car nor bits of it hundreds of miles away.. I'm just paying for the dyno which is local.

We were talking about porting and polishing my cylinder head, I haven't seen a JCW head in person but I was told that its the same exact head but bored from factory.

My build is still a few months away, I have a bit of time left my narrow down on what I will be going with.

My car has 120k clocked with the OEM clutch and supercharger. Im expecting one or the other to go sometime soon, that's when I should start on my build.

If the charger goes, I am likely to give in on a few other mods to get a rotrex

Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Jaydavid
3rd Gear
Would i lose down low power with a tpr2 head ? If i could break even i wouldnt mind how
Much more power are you really getting from the head the thing im not so shure about id having to be at redline to get the power from the head. And hows that tpr1 with the ns1 cam power imporvement wise is it shocking like the pulley mod from stock was?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM
ThickFREAKness216
2nd Gear
Would i lose down low power with a tpr2 head ? If i could break even i wouldnt mind how
Much more power are you really getting from the head the thing im not so shure about id having to be at redline to get the power from the head. And hows that tpr1 with the ns1 cam power imporvement wise is it shocking like the pulley mod from stock was?
Yes, the TPR1/NS1 improvement is well worth it and is definitely as noticeable as the pulley, IMO

Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Your best bet is to call or e-mail Thmpr, he can give you the specifics on each of the different options, and yes, the biggest over all power gain on our motors revolves around the head.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ive been wanting to do all this my self, but RMW and Thumper are so far away, atleaste i could put the parts in and get a tune later.

ive also heard that the stock clutch is the best option

Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Jaydavid
3rd Gear
Well thats good news for me i wasnt shure if the stock clutch would be able to handle the power well or if they would keep burning up in 20k miles under normal daily driving and the occasional hard driving times on weekends

If i were to stick with the thumper tpr1 head what cam would you say would compliment it est performance wise? I plan on getting it tuned the same day the work is done or nextday

Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
I'm on my original Clutch @ 212k, and have been running a BVH since 60k, it's more about your driving style @ your power level than anything.

As far as Cam, if you're going to go with the TPR1, then again just talk w/ Thmpr.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:35 AM
ThickFREAKness216
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
I'm on my original Clutch @ 212k, and have been running a BVH since 60k, it's more about your driving style @ your power level than anything.

As far as Cam, if you're going to go with the TPR1, then again just talk w/ Thmpr.
212K, wow! This makes me feel great about my clutch.

I agree regarding cam just talk with Thumper he won't lead you wrong.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:07 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Yup, people forget milage is prob. the least effecting factor when it comes to clutch's.