North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Brake Lights - Mystery... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/67350-brake-lights-mystery.html)

HFM 04-27-2006 05:12 PM

Brake Lights - Mystery...

Have had my 05 Chili Red Mini for 16 Months, has been flawless in every way until this morning. Drove to work, turned off headlights, shut off engine, started to walk away and noticed the brake lights were lit. Walked back to my Mini, unlocked the door, pulled up on brake pedal, it was all the way up, brake lights still on, restarted car, turned headlights back on, then off, shut off engine. Brake lights went out. Okaaaaay. Started to walk away,brake lights flashed once, and went out! Checked car several times during the day, everything seemed ok. Anyone else experienced this problem? Should I call a priest? (did not lock doors with remote, so it wasn't the normal lights flashing when locking doors). Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

qwertmonkey 04-27-2006 07:11 PM

Do you have the "follow me home" lights on? You might have accedentally tapped the high beams, and the MINI was doing its job.

Motor On 04-27-2006 07:13 PM

This is becoming more and more common, get it into the dealer soon let them know whats happening, there are stories of people who weren't so luck the brake switch gets stuck, the lights stay on and kill the battery.

cccm 04-27-2006 11:49 PM

I have a 2005 MCS and I encountered this 2 times so far

HFM 04-28-2006 01:12 PM

Thanks all for the info and suggestions, I'm going to make it ahabit to check the brake lights after I park it to make sure they are not on. What are "follow me home" lights and how do you activate them? Thanks again...........

leapfrog 08-22-2007 12:34 PM

Brake Lights stuck on...

The first time it happened,it was only the third brake light,and that was a few months ago.But three days ago,all the brake lights were on!:eek: My "fix"was to turn the key on again(not starting),and turn the key off.However,now you all have me worried!Now I have to look and make sure they're off every time I get out of the car!(Most people think I'm admiring my car!):lol: I guess it's time to make an appointment!

Loony2N 08-22-2007 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by HFM (Post 936374)
Thanks all for the info and suggestions, I'm going to make it ahabit to check the brake lights after I park it to make sure they are not on. What are "follow me home" lights and how do you activate them? Thanks again...........

Follow me home is the feature that will keep the lights on for a selectable period after you park. It is activated by pulling the headlight stalk toward you after turning the car off. I doubt that was the problem, however, since you would have noticed that your headlights were on, too.