R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What would you consider other than the MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:43 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What would you consider other than the MINI?

Title says it...you can't have a MINI but you need a new/newer car. What do you look at in the same basic price range and why?

PLEASE DO NOT turn this into a MINI rules all discussion. I know that already, we have an 05. I plan to replace my turbo miata with an 06 soon, but i feel the need to shop around & make sure i have covered all my bases before we become a two MINI family. (although i am 99% done with my shopping!)

No major requirements other than fun, reliable, in the same general price range as a spec'ed MCS.

My first ideas:

new WRX wagon with 2.5L
slightly used 3 or G35
new NC miata
solstice
evo or STi would be a little stretch, and if i were to get one of those, i would get the WRX wagon & get rid of my 97 outback sport winter beater.
scion tC

i know the new Si is coming out, i just don't think i can go there. And since that has a LSD & the RSX does not...the RSX would be out as well.

Not a huge fan of:
Z (just like the looks of the G35 much more)
RX-8

so..what else?

thanks!

Old 11-09-2005, 11:46 AM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure on the price range but I'd consider a Charger R/T if you're into that whole V8 rear-wheel-drive muscle car thing

Old 11-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Zman
3rd Gear
used 3er with sport package, or 1 series in early 07!

RWD rules!

Originally Posted by fishbulb
Title says it...you can't have a MINI but you need a new/newer car. What do you look at in the same basic price range and why?

PLEASE DO NOT turn this into a MINI rules all discussion. I know that already, we have an 05. I plan to replace my turbo miata with an 06 soon, but i feel the need to shop around & make sure i have covered all my bases before we become a two MINI family. (although i am 99% done with my shopping!)

No major requirements other than fun, reliable, in the same general price range as a spec'ed MCS.

My first ideas:

new WRX wagon with 2.5L
slightly used 3 or G35
new NC miata
evo or STi would be a little stretch, and if i were to get one of those, i would get the WRX wagon & get rid of my 97 outback sport winter beater.
scion tC

i know the new Si is coming out, i just don't think i can go there. And since that has a LSD & the RSX does not...the RSX would be out as well.

Not a huge fan of:
Z (just like the looks of the G35 much more)
RX-8

so..what else?

thanks!

Old 11-09-2005, 11:57 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My main criteria are fuel economy, hatchback style, good looks (subjective), price under $20k, and no VW, so the list of other cars I would consider is relatively short:

Toyota Matrix
Scion xB
2000 Honda Civic hatchback (last year for fuel-efficient non-Si version)

In other words, thank God the MC exists!

Old 11-09-2005, 12:19 PM
geotek
2nd Gear
subaru WRX sedan (looked at one before buying my MINI, no sun roof (i kept bumping my head ))

Chevy SSR (yea its not in the price range but the top is so cool (i looked at one of them too))

Old 11-09-2005, 12:24 PM
IanF
6th Gear
'05 Mustang GT (The American version of the MINI, if you think about it. Not in size, but in concept)
'99-'04 Mustang GT (crazy cheap since the '05's came out, but still a fun car all things considered... and can be modded to handle reasonably well)

E36 M3
E36 325is
E30 M3
E30 325is
Although with any older BMW there is that "reliability" issue and they are kinda picky when it comes to maintenance.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Miata... of any era...

edit: just realized you're selling a Miata...

...and I used to have an Integra, so I have a soft spot for the RSX.... more so than the new Si...

Old 11-09-2005, 12:27 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
G35 Coupe or a 350Z

Old 11-09-2005, 12:51 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
I tried a whole lot of other cars before settling in onthe Mini as my choice. At the top of the list were the Mazda6s and Magnum/Charger/300C.

The Mini beat out the 6 in terms of driver space (I'm a big guy, so this is an important aspect), although I found both to be tons of fun to drive. One other thing that put of to the Mazda was that the V6 drives a lot like a turbo 4. It's downright anemic below 2500 RPM. Although to their credit, even with my fast clutching (grew up driving V8's), I never managed to lug the engine, let alone stall it out.

The Magnum platform is a lot of fun, too. Its suspension is nice and tight an there's plenty of room for me to drive comfortably. However, the lack of any manual transmission option, and the lack of availability of V8 model without all the luxury options automatically included drove me right out of their dealerships. If they'd get their act together and built a sport coupe with the v8, 2 doors, and a stick (even if its an old 4 speed with no overdrive), I'd be sold.

The Altima was also a pretty good car but the ergonomics were lacking and I couldn't find any dealership in the whole Los Angeles metro with a stick model for me to drive. And the worst treatment I've ever received from a dealership was from the Puente Hills Nissan lot. So they got knocked out of the running this time around. But based on the test drives I've been on, I recommend the Mazda6s anyway. It's a much nicer balance, IMO.

I test drove a VW GTi as well. It was the roomiest car that I didn't build myself. In fact, I can even adjust it to where I would be uncomfortably far from the wheel and pedals. That impressed me. But the drive didn't. It was an '05 1.8T with stick. The controls felt tight but the response from the chassis didn't. A sportier suspension might help but VW didn't offer one from what I could tell. And the engine was downright anemic.

There wasn't a single Suburu or Acura that I would feel comfortable driving. I also considered a BMW 325i but it was just a little too small, too. The SRT4 was drivable and fun, even, but also lacking in space. The Camry Solara had plenty of space but I just didn't like the look of the car and they don't sell the V6 with a stick. The regulary Camry looks a lot nicer, but they mount the seats higher so I get the same wheel-in-my-lap feel that the Altima has. And again, no stick for the beefier engine means no sale to me. And the tC was another strong consideration that got eliminated before I even closed the door. It was a total sardine can. Not even drivable.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:01 PM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
STi or NC MX-5.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:15 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
1964 TROJAN 200 BUBBLE CAR

Old 11-09-2005, 01:16 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The NC sucks keep the NB they rock.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:24 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
If I wanted to spend a little more: R32/Evo/STi

If I wanted to spend a little less: SVT Focus

If I wanted something completely different: Ford Lightning or Joe Gibbs Silverado

Definately not anything FWD Japanese, I've driven many stock/modded Honda/Nissan/Toyota and they're all garbage tin boxes IMHO. The only one I thought was mediocre was the RSX-S (a fantastically performing car when modded properly).

The car I wish I would have liked enough to buy over the MINI is definately the SRT-4 Neon, but I drove one and it was such a let down. It has a lot of thrust, but the rest of the car is such utter crap and so cheaply done, I was disgusted. Basically you're buying a motor, the rest of the car is one big, ugly afterthought.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:27 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
A NEW Buell 12Ss Lightning Long, almost bought it in Sept. I hope I am glad I changed my mind to the MINI, 2 1/2 weeks more or so before delivery and COUNTING DOWN DAYS...

Old 11-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before buying a second MINI, we looked at the Scion xB (not enough arbags), then looked at a WRX wagon (again, not enough airbags).

Nothing else but a second MINI Cooper would do for us

Old 11-09-2005, 01:36 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
if i have more money:
R34 GTR, EVO 6 RSII, Lotus Elise, 997 carrera

if slightly more than the mini
350Z, STi, EVO 8 RS, or get my project car.. right now probably a S13 silvia body with a 240sx rear end so it'd look like a sileighty, or a NA8C miata turbo, or a classic mini with SW20 mid- engine 3SGTE

about same price as mini
NC miata probably, A3, new VW GTi, and probably my top choice, also likely is a used STi or 350Z

Old 11-09-2005, 01:37 PM
coopercrazy
3rd Gear
Audi a3.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:38 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
keep the Miata

Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rataha
keep the Miata
NA's are the best

Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Originally Posted by geotek
subaru WRX sedan (looked at one before buying my MINI, no sun roof (i kept bumping my head ))
Actually cars w/moonroofs have lower roofs to accomodate the mechanicals. But I digress..........

My choice would probably be used E46 w/performance pkg.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:46 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
To stay in the same price range and on the quirky side, a black or silver BMW M Coupe. I love those cars.

For twice the money, an STI, EVO, or Lotus Elise.

For four times the money, the Caddilac XLR.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:55 PM
rigidjunkie
6th Gear
Well here it goes:

Used very early Boxster very nice car people always said it was underpowered, but they are strong enough to have a good time the weighting on them is spot on my favorite Porsche ever.

Late 90's Integra Type R another great car, I had a non Type R that I loved.

Used M Coupe if you can find one the breadbox shape turns most people away so there are some out there.

Solstice reveiws say it is a decent car and it looks great saw one in person and was blown away the curvey body is incredible. Tie with the new Vette for best GM product in years.

Lotus Elise, one of the few cars I dream about, but have not had a change to drive. Hope to change that soon.

And for an oddball the Dodge Omni, I know what you are thinking who would ever want an Omni. Great question I love them for no real reason my wife and I play Omni Splat, just like the slug bug game only with Omni's.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:51 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rossii
Actually cars w/moonroofs have lower roofs to accomodate the mechanicals. But I digress..........

My choice would probably be used E46 w/performance pkg.

Except in the M Coupe, more headroom with the sunroof

Might have kept my lovingly modded E46, but easy city parking/driving was a priority for us so probably not.

I just don't know what else I would have gotten though, nothing else is as fun to drive and little and practical at the same time :smile:

Old 11-09-2005, 02:53 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Same price?

2007 Soliste Turbo. 250HP

Old 11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
motorsports_3
3rd Gear

Go with the new miata or chrysler 300

Old 11-09-2005, 04:58 PM
C4
Banned
This past Monday afternoon, I went to the South Florida International Auto Show in Miami Beach. Lots of gorgeous cars Eye candy all the way

I had the opportunity to climb aboard a bright yellow '06 Lotus Elise on the Lotus display inside the "Million Dollar Alley" section of the exhibit that houses high end performance and premium autos (Bentley, Saleen, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, etc).

The Elise is a gorgeous piece of machinery but that things is absolutely HORRIBLE to get in and out of the tight cockpit. The Elise is first and foremost a track sportscar. Whomever buys one of these things as a daily driver must be CRAZY!

I am 5' 10" 175 pounds and felt TRAPPED inside the Elise. It is a very spartan car. Just a basic stereo and A/C. No comforts, no carpets, no power anything. Simply put a street legal race car.

Trying to exit the Elise, I almost break off the steering wheel column. One of the Lotus sales guys had to help me to lift my body out of the space shuttle shaped seat. If you are out of shape, you'll really feel it trying to climb aboard this car.

If you are taller than 6 feet or overweight, skip the Elise. You have to be a contortionist to get inside and have the muscle flexibility of a Russian olympic athelete. Otherwise, very nice car.

Price: $50K out-the-door. 3 year/36K mile warranty (Pretty sucky warranty for an "exotic" car).

I had a conversation with one of the Lotus representatives and he asked me about the Cooper S. Shhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone, but the guy that sells the Elises is actually looking to purchase a brabd new '06 MCS. We both agreed that the MINI is the closest car in the market today to the handling prowess of the Elise, but for half the admission price.

Pretty funny to see how the MINI has made some serious inroads in the high end performance arena.:smile:

Quick Reply: R50/53 What would you consider other than the MINI?