R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I haven't even bought my Mini yet, and I'm already doubting my dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:03 PM
dgboggs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't even bought my Mini yet, and I'm already doubting my dealer...

This crap makes me not want to even buy the car.

I am going to have Goodrich T/A Tractions put on and get rid of the run-flats. My ideal setup would be to have TireRack send the tires directly to the dealer to have them put on, so that when I get the car, it's truly ready.

Well, my salesperson just informed me that they want over 200.00 to simply mount and balance the tires . That is just absurd, and I will not pay it. It really makes me doubt future transactions (like, if I needed a clutch AFTER the warranty expires).....

Old 10-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Hartz
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Dealers are rarely the cheapest option. While it would be truly convienent for you to have the tires mounted as you describe, you'll be paying a premium for that convienence. It would be far cheaper to purchase the tires from the Tire Rack and have a local shop mount them (or use a preferred Tire Rack installed, if need be). Not as easy, but cheaper.

Cheap or easy. Pick one.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:16 PM
dgboggs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Hartz
Dealers are rarely the cheapest option. While it would be truly convienent for you to have the tires mounted as you describe, you'll be paying a premium for that convienence. It would be far cheaper to purchase the tires from the Tire Rack and have a local shop mount them (or use a preferred Tire Rack installed, if need be). Not as easy, but cheaper.

Cheap or easy. Pick one.
But is says something about the service- something negative.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:16 PM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Actually, as crazy as $200 sounds, given the hourly rates of MINI dealers, I'm guessing it could be about right.

I had my run flats removed at the local BMW dealer (because I knew they would be pros at run-flats) and they immediately told me to be prepared for about $150 to do the job because it takes longer taking them off than normal tires. In the end I think I paid about $125. Granted, I could have taken my car to the local tire store, but not every place knows how to deal w/run-flats and I didn't want my brand new rims gouged up.

If you choose a local installer, be sure they know how to mount/unmount runflats...

Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 PM
dgboggs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RenaultF1
Actually, as crazy as $200 sounds, given the hourly rates of MINI dealers, I'm guessing it could be about right.

I had my run flats removed at the local BMW dealer (because I knew they would be pros at run-flats) and they immediately told me to be prepared for about $150 to do the job because it takes longer taking them off than normal tires. In the end I think I paid about $125. Granted, I could have taken my car to the local tire store, but not every place knows how to deal w/run-flats and I didn't want my brand new rims gouged up.

If you choose a local installer, be sure they know how to mount/unmount runflats...
Well, I was prepared to pay 90-130 without report, but 200+ is just crazy. It just makes me wonder what they'll be like in the future...

Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 PM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
I hear ya...

I guess IMHO I've never felt like getting work done at any car dealer I've ever used has been what I would consider a good deal...it is all what falls into what I consider acceptable limits of what I'm willing to pay.

Personally, I don't necessarily equate what I pay to whether the service is good or not. If I've gotten a quote (which I always do) and have chosen to have them do the work as long as the job is performed correctly and the experience itself was fine, then I consider it good service.

Also, the other thing I was trying to say was that I don't think they are necessarily trying to screw you. Their hourly rate for work is probably just high. Check around if you have other dealers nearby and see if one of those is cheaper than your dealer.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the future...they'll still be expensive. That's just the way it is. My dealer wanted $70 to rotate my tires so I did it myself. Can't hold it against the dealer.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:38 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dgboggs
This crap makes me not want to even buy the car.
CRAP, Did someone say CRAP? You aint even bought the CRAP yet

$200 is about right. The RFs require special equipment. Get used to it, it aint going to get cheaper. This isnt like going to your local Jiffy Lube for work.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Just for another data point - our local America's Tire quoted $35/rim to swap tires - $140 for the set. If the dealer upcharge is less than 50%, you're doing well... (sadly)

Old 10-25-2005, 01:50 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
What's up with the deleted posts in this thread? They consisted of a very mild criticism of one dealer, plus kudos for Classic MINI. It's bad enough the dealer ratings system is gone from NAM, are we hunting down and deleting dealer criticisms in individual threads now?

One of the core fundamental values that I live by is to vindictively criticize Herb Chambers MINI at every possible opportunity, so if this is how the moderation is going to work, I'll be keeping y'all busy.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:26 PM
fs-mini
3rd Gear
Well, when I got my 05 MCS last year, I changed to my custom wheels in only 50 miles. I paid $80 to a local store to take the run-flat off the S-lite and put on the custom wheels, including all mount_n_balance. I inquired other stores before I decided on this one, the others were asking from $120 to $200. So, I guess $200 is what the Mini dealer asking for, that may be about right.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:28 PM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
What's up with the deleted posts in this thread? They consisted of a very mild criticism of one dealer, plus kudos for Classic MINI. It's bad enough the dealer ratings system is gone from NAM, are we hunting down and deleting dealer criticisms in individual threads now?

One of the core fundamental values that I live by is to vindictively criticize Herb Chambers MINI at every possible opportunity, so if this is how the moderation is going to work, I'll be keeping y'all busy.
Geez, I go away for 10 minutes to actually get a little work done and I miss all the fun.

Oh and Chris...once again I'll utter the words "go to MINI of Peabody"...

Old 10-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Cinnamon_Girl
1st Gear
I guess I don't understand what the problem is? If you've found a cheaper place to have it done, why not just have it done there? Just cause you buy the car from a dealership, it doesn't mean you have to have everything service related done at that dealership.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
dgboggs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
CRAP, Did someone say CRAP? You aint even bought the CRAP yet

$200 is about right. The RFs require special equipment. Get used to it, it aint going to get cheaper. This isnt like going to your local Jiffy Lube for work.
Yeah, well the service manager actually admitted to me that the labor will take all of 15-20 minutes, so I will not be making any adjustments in my outlook.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
dgboggs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl

What do you mean deleted posts, and how do you know this? If that is the case here, I'll not patronize this forum- too much like big brother communist bull----.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:16 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Yeah, well the service manager actually admitted to me that the labor will take all of 15-20 minutes, so I will not be making any adjustments in my outlook.
Not your car, check the thread on the JCW "crap"

MINI dealer prices are high. You buy the car and got to expect those kind of prices!

Old 10-25-2005, 04:31 PM
hollis3
Coordinator :: Motoring Underground Club Forum
Although having the dealer do it in one transaction is easier, the far cheaper way is through a good tire shop. Then again, which wheels are you getting?

Old 10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Hyper!!!Blue!!!
3rd Gear
Buy new rims along with tires and have tirerack mount them, problem solved .

Or have a tirerack recommended installer do it for less.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
dgboggs
2nd Gear
Not your car, check the thread on the JCW "crap"

MINI dealer prices are high. You buy the car and got to expect those kind of prices!
???
The word "crap" is bad??:impatient

I also got a pm from hollis3 (who are you?)..

you sound a bit aggressive towards censorship.

'We tend to be on the opposite end of the spectrum, so if you would like to balance, feel free to check out www.teammightyminiz.com . That being said, the necessary evil is NAM."

??Wha??

Old 10-25-2005, 04:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
???
The word "crap" is bad??:impatient
LOL, no, there is a thread here were the center of it was the JCW "CRAP". Do a search

Old 10-25-2005, 04:49 PM
dgboggs
2nd Gear
LOL, no, there is a thread here were the center of it was the JCW "CRAP". Do a search
What is JCW??

Old 10-25-2005, 05:12 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im kinda surprised that the dealer would entertain such request in the first place, so $200 is not bad at all.

personally, i would just get a wheelset for your new tires and keep the stockers as spares/winter wheel set.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:23 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
boggsie,

Unfortunately MINIs are just like BMWs when it comes to service.

Check out this thread for some Bimmer service bashing.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=53214

Just go independent for all but your warranty work, and you'll be fine.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:25 PM
115hp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
personally, i would just get a wheelset for your new tires and keep the stockers as spares/winter wheel set.
Me too. They'd already be mounted and balanced for free. Order a torque wrench while you're at it, then you can rotate them whenever you want and do it right.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
dgboggs
2nd Gear
Yeah, I've already decided that I'll just go to Discount Tire and have them installed. I don't want seperate wheels laying around, and I really don't need performance tires, so I'll just go performance all season BF Goodrich Traction T/A's.

Quick Reply: R50/53 I haven't even bought my Mini yet, and I'm already doubting my dealer...