North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 MINI and Ethanol (E-85) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/50278-mini-and-ethanol-e-85-a.html)

spurvis 09-05-2005 03:49 PM

MINI and Ethanol (E-85)

Anybody out there know if MINI Cooper's can run on Ethanol E-85? I personally use Sunoco Ultra 94 as my Coop thrives on it, but at $3.41 a gallon, even I may re-think my spending for the short term.

Ethanol doesn't seem to be widely available in NE Ohio, but if it is ever offered, it would be nice to know Newt can run on it. Anyone down in the Carolina's using it now as I know it is popular down there. Thanks to all who reply. Cheers!

lotsie 09-05-2005 03:55 PM

We can buy up to 10% ethanol here. We grow the stuff.

My manual says not to, so until I get out of warrenty, I'll just burn 91.
:cool:

newbs49 09-05-2005 04:05 PM

Sunoco 93 here in Wester New York has been 10% ethanol for about 2 years.

I've run the 94 when we could get and the 93 for awhile now and have had no problems. :thumbsup:

lcubed 09-05-2005 05:22 PM

don't do it. unless the engine is certified for E85,
it doesn't have parts to tolerate the alcohol.

(at higher levels of alcohol, you start changing out things like
fuel pumps and fuel lines, etc to tolerate the relatively 'wet'
aka water-loving fuel)

swiped off the nhtsa website:

"Changes to ethanol flexible-fuel vehicles relative to gasoline vehicles consist mostly of a sensor which will detect the type of fuel being pumped to the engine, and sets of engine maps to ensure that the vehicle operates on ethanol in a manner consistent with its operation on gasoline. Additionally, since higher flow-rate fuel injectors are used to accommodate the lower energy density of ethanol relative to gasoline, software changes relative to injector control (injector duration, etc.) may be necessary to ensure proper operation of the fuel injection system.

Ethanol is corrosive to some metals, although less so than methanol. Metals recommended for use with ethanol include carbon steel, stainless steel, and aluminum (if suitably protected from corrosion). Ethanol is less prone to attack elastomeric materials, so many common elastomers can be used with ethanol without risk of deterioration. No special manufacturing techniques are needed for ethanol fuel systems for flexible-fuel vehicles."

Battle Cattle 09-05-2005 09:21 PM

well around here in TN the pilot stations have 10% ethanol in the regualr and mid grade... But never tried filling up with that and wont... I will stick to my premium gaz and enjoy it... now I might go put some 110 in my tank if I want to give my baby a christmas present...

-Josh

not-so-rednwhitecooper 09-05-2005 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by spurvis
Anybody out there know if MINI Cooper's can run on Ethanol E-85? I personally use Sunoco Ultra 94 as my Coop thrives on it, but at $3.41 a gallon, even I may re-think my spending for the short term.

Ethanol doesn't seem to be widely available in NE Ohio, but if it is ever offered, it would be nice to know Newt can run on it. Anyone down in the Carolina's using it now as I know it is popular down there. Thanks to all who reply. Cheers!

you know, if you had it converted to run on natural gas, any East Ohio Gas, oh i'm sorry, Dominion (:wink:) station will fill it up with natural gas. my uncle works for them and his truck ( an f250 ) runs on natural gas, and then has a gasoline backup in case it runs out.

:thumbsup:

ylwjkt 09-05-2005 09:48 PM

Try this:

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php

mc64 10-26-2005 07:30 PM

Ok, so the stock Mini Cooper can not run on E85 fuel. However, does anyone know if it can be modified to run on this type of fuel? (and if so, how?)

ScuderiaMini 10-26-2005 07:46 PM

Yah, just for once a year I would love to do that:thumbsup: I think my Mini deserves it, after putting up with all my ****

Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
well around here in TN the pilot stations have 10% ethanol in the regualr and mid grade... But never tried filling up with that and wont... I will stick to my premium gaz and enjoy it... now I might go put some 110 in my tank if I want to give my baby a christmas present...

-Josh

not-so-rednwhitecooper 10-26-2005 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mc64
Ok, so the stock Mini Cooper can not run on E85 fuel. However, does anyone know if it can be modified to run on this type of fuel? (and if so, how?)

it requires special injectors and a special fuel pump, either i dont know of that are made to fit a cooper.

TooTall 10-27-2005 05:05 AM

For those posting about 10% ethanol being ok, E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, so it is a lot different than 10%. That's why it's 104-105 octane, it's almost pure alky.