R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Audible low fuel indicator

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 11:28 AM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audible low fuel indicator

My MINI is in the shop getting the "convenience opening" feature programmed and a squeaky belt taken care of.

As I was going through some of the progamming options with the dealer he mentiond he could enable the audible low fuel indicator. I knew there was the visual indicator, but didn't know there was an audible warning.

Why wouldn't that be the default programming to have it enabled?
Is this only on certain years? Anyone else have it enabled/disabled?

Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 AM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
Hmm....I haven't let mine get that low since I picked it up a couple weeks ago. I want it turned on if it isn't already.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
everythingsablur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIMAXXNC
As I was going through some of the progamming options with the dealer he mentiond he could enable the audible low fuel indicator. I knew there was the visual indicator, but didn't know there was an audible warning.

Why wouldn't that be the default programming to have it enabled?
Is this only on certain years? Anyone else have it enabled/disabled?
It's personal preference. Some people just don't like unexpected noises I guess.

A week or so before I even picked up my MCS, the dealership had me fill out a multi-page customization form that had all of these little memory options on it, so that I could pick and choose how I wanted my car to act before I even took delivery. I'm taking it that this is not standard practice since I seem to be the only one/one of the few that had all of this programmed long ago.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 PM
MadHatter
5th Gear
it is just loud enough that with no music and the windows

up you might hear it for the one cycle of it's chime ..... fyi - don't flip over this feature, for me it is almost useless

Old 07-12-2005, 12:13 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this feature enabled on my new Cooper, and I like it. The beep is exactly the same as the beep when the temp drops to 37 F or below. I let my first tank run down to verify that it worked, and when I filled up shortly thereafter I put just under 12 gallons of fuel into the car.

I don't generally like extra beeps, but I really don't like letting my fuel go below a gallon, so this one is a no-brainer for me.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
not me

Originally Posted by everythingsablur
It's personal preference. Some people just don't like unexpected noises I guess.

A week or so before I even picked up my MCS, the dealership had me fill out a multi-page customization form that had all of these little memory options on it, so that I could pick and choose how I wanted my car to act before I even took delivery. I'm taking it that this is not standard practice since I seem to be the only one/one of the few that had all of this programmed long ago.
Others on NAM have mentioned such customer service from their dealers. I was not offered that option.

When we took ours in today we specifically asked for the convenience opening to be enabled. They offered 6 other options at that time.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I didn't learn about it until after my pickup either - but the damn ding is SO low that I don't hear it for anything else anyway - it would be a useless feature for me to enable in the first place.

One other related gripe is the lighting of the dash warning lights - they get COMPLETELY washed out in sunlight from many angles :(

Old 07-12-2005, 01:42 PM
everythingsablur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIMAXXNC
When we took ours in today we specifically asked for the convenience opening to be enabled. They offered 6 other options at that time.
Just six? My customization package was 4 pages long (only two of which actually had options, the rest was sign-off and whatnot).

Old 07-12-2005, 03:38 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Just six? My customization package was 4 pages long (only two of which actually had options, the rest was sign-off and whatnot).
Do you still have the sheets? Could you scan them for us mere mortals? Or tell me which dealership so I can have them fax me a set?

Thanks!

John

Old 07-12-2005, 04:07 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
I agree with others that the sound of the beep is really low.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:32 PM
MyMini05
2nd Gear
I have run down to the visual warning numerous times. If mine is enabled, I have never heard of it.

Fred

Old 07-12-2005, 05:44 PM
everythingsablur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ururk
Do you still have the sheets? Could you scan them for us mere mortals? Or tell me which dealership so I can have them fax me a set?
Sure thing. I'll scan them when I get home tonight.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
I had mine turned on. The fuel gauge is not in the line of sight, so it's a handy option. Mine seems to gong at startup if I'm below 1/8 tank. It doesn't make noise the whole time the car is running when gas is low.

Rawhyde

Old 07-12-2005, 07:18 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MadHatter
up you might hear it for the one cycle of it's chime ..... fyi - don't flip over this feature, for me it is almost useless
Ditto. I always have my radio on so it's impossible to hear. The chime sounds a little lower than when you start the car and it only does it one time. Like bing that's it. Same for the ice warning. I notice the flashing temp before I hear the chime.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:39 PM
vm
4th Gear
Never heard of this feature. Maybe because I fill the tank when it's 1/2 of capacity.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:07 PM
everythingsablur
2nd Gear
2005 MINI memory customization worksheet

As requested, here is a scan of the MINI memory customer configuration forms that my dealer gave me so that I could select how I wanted the car programmed before delivery. There are a few pages removed that were just things for various people to sign-off on, and information specific to my car. These were obtained from MINI Woodbridge, just north of Toronto, ON.

Sorry for the somewhat crappy resolution: NAM has fairly strict image res limits. Just save them locally and zoom in using whatever image viewer you've got.

Attached Thumbnails Audible low fuel indicator-mini_programming1a.jpg   Audible low fuel indicator-mini_programming2a.jpg  
Old 07-13-2005, 02:41 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Thanks! I don't think I'll get a sheet like that at MCM - but then again, maybe I will! Those sheets should become a sticky, or at the very least in a mini2 faq (does NAM have FAQ's?).

Old 07-13-2005, 10:41 PM
lotsie
Banned
In over 50K miles I've seen the light come on maybe 5 times. I always,well except for those 5 times, fill-up between 1/2 and 1/4

Old 07-14-2005, 06:13 AM
everythingsablur
2nd Gear
Thanks! I don't think I'll get a sheet like that at MCM - but then again, maybe I will! Those sheets should become a sticky, or at the very least in a mini2 faq (does NAM have FAQ's?).
Ask your MA for the car's programming sheet. I can't imagine MINI Woodbridge having made this sheet up on their own...

This would make a good sticky/FAQ item actually, just so people know what you can ask to have programmed. I'm sure it will vary model year to model year though, so not all options will apply.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:19 AM
ururk
5th Gear
Ask your MA for the car's programming sheet. I can't imagine MINI Woodbridge having made this sheet up on their own...

This would make a good sticky/FAQ item actually, just so people know what you can ask to have programmed. I'm sure it will vary model year to model year though, so not all options will apply.
It did look like it came from MINI. I don't think I'll get one - at the very least, I now know which options I want/don't want!

John