North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 WMW 17% not all the way seated (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/339754-wmw-17-not-all-the-way-seated.html)

Alecmorrie 06-13-2019 11:36 AM

WMW 17% not all the way seated

Long story short I bought an R53 for dirt cheap for something to play with. Recently did a way motor works 17% pulley (did new idler and tensioner while I was in there) while I had the super charger out for an oil change. Got it all back together and noticed the belt riding about an 1/8 inch off the idler pulley just below the supercharger pulley. I’m assuming I didn’t get the pulley seated correctly. Anybody have any experience reseating these or is it going to be a pain like I have been reading? (I don’t want to have to hack the pulley off and have to buy a new one) I haven’t shredded a belt yet but I don’t drive it daily. I know it’s coming.

gumbedamit 06-13-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alecmorrie (Post 4475804)
Long story short I bought an R53 for dirt cheap for something to play with. Recently did a way motor works 17% pulley (did new idler and tensioner while I was in there) while I had the super charger out for an oil change. Got it all back together and noticed the belt riding about an 1/8 inch off the idler pulley just below the supercharger pulley. I’m assuming I didn’t get the pulley seated correctly. Anybody have any experience reseating these or is it going to be a pain like I have been reading? (I don’t want to have to hack the pulley off and have to buy a new one) I haven’t shredded a belt yet but I don’t drive it daily. I know it’s coming.

Isn't the new pulley attached with threaded bolts and not pressed on, would it not be just a matter of loosening the bolts and seating the pulley correctly? I guess I should ask, which pulley are you talking about?

Alecmorrie 06-13-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by gumbedamit (Post 4475825)
Isn't the new pulley attached with threaded bolts and not pressed on, would it not be just a matter of loosening the bolts and seating the pulley correctly? I guess I should ask, which pulley are you talking about?

The supercharger pulley. It is a two piece pulley. I did a little reading and from what I’ve seen after they get heated up they get pretty well seated on.

gumbedamit 06-13-2019 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alecmorrie (Post 4475828)
The supercharger pulley. It is a two piece pulley. I did a little reading and from what I’ve seen after they get heated up they get pretty well seated on.

If its the SC pulley, you should be able to take the belt off and loosen the pulley and mount it correctly.

WayMotorWorks 06-13-2019 06:01 PM

It's very easy to take back off. Remove the 4 bolts from it. Then take two of those bolts and screw them in the 2 smaller holes in the face of the pulley that are threaded. This will pop it apart and you can re-seat the pulley to have it lined up.

Alecmorrie 06-14-2019 05:06 AM

Right on, thanks for the feedback. Everything I read in other forums was dreadful. Guess I was just looking for some reassurance. Will give it a shot this weekend. Probably be ordering a new belt from way as well.

ItsmeWayne 06-14-2019 06:33 AM

it is easy to do. take your time lining it up!
NAM has answers for all your Mini info needs!

ItJustDiz 06-14-2019 02:32 PM

Even if it's not a daily driver, do it as soon as you can, I shredded 2 belts before getting my 15% seated properly. Live and learn.