North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 EZ Oil Drain Valve (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/339448-ez-oil-drain-valve.html)

speedman 06-02-2019 05:22 PM

EZ Oil Drain Valve

Has anyone used an EZ Oil Drain Valve on their mini. They are $25 and I am tired of buying a $5 drain plug every time I change my oil

Capt_bj 06-02-2019 05:31 PM

I use and recommend the Fumoto

pnwR53S 06-02-2019 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by speedman (Post 4473455)
Has anyone used an EZ Oil Drain Valve on their mini. They are $25 and I am tired of buying a $5 drain plug every time I change my oil

What? You change the drain plug every time? Or do you mean changing the crush washer?

I always reuse the crush washer for I like living on the edge. :grin:

A383Wing 06-02-2019 06:24 PM

unless you are using the wrong tool or wrench to remove & replace the drain plug, you should not have to replace it at every oil change.......I have never replaced mine in either of my cars

Bryan

pnwR53S 06-02-2019 09:10 PM

Actually come to remember the drain plug on the Mini has integral rubber washer which you cannot lose. I am thinking about the Porsche and all my other vehicles. I never waste money buying the price-gouging crash washers, unless they are very thin to begin with.

Tgriffithjr 06-03-2019 07:38 PM

I don’t change it either. No problems.

speedman 06-04-2019 09:49 AM

I have used every type tool in my box. 6 point, 12 point, 1/2” drive, 3/8” drive, box end and open end wrenches and I have had to drill two plugs out an one using a EZ out. I looked into the issue and found that BMW recommends using a new plug every time.

pnwR53S 06-04-2019 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by speedman (Post 4473833)
I have used every type tool in my box. 6 point, 12 point, 1/2” drive, 3/8” drive, box end and open end wrenches and I have had to drill two plugs out an one using a EZ out. I looked into the issue and found that BMW recommends using a new plug every time.

:lol::lol::lol: do show us where BMW said so :popcorn: Could it be your BMW is Bring Me Wealth Mini specialty mechanic?

speedman 06-04-2019 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by pnwR53S (Post 4473834)
:lol::lol::lol: do show us where BMW said so :popcorn: Could it be your BMW is Bring Me Wealth Mini specialty mechanic?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...5da31e54b5.png
This came directly from the pelican Parts website

speedman 06-04-2019 10:11 AM

I have owned a Porsche for 28 years so I put a lot of stock in what Wayne had to say

speedman 06-04-2019 10:25 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...fbf1cb7a3a.png
Mini Mania also recommends using a new drain plug

speedman 06-04-2019 10:26 AM

I guess we all learn something new everyday

pnwR53S 06-04-2019 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by speedman (Post 4473840)
I guess we all learn something new everyday

I would like to know if you mean you learnt or I learnt. I learnt nothing from the mobile screen shots you posted, except to wonder why I'd never want to buy in on these so so mobile social. I have been using the same plug since day one and it shows no sign deterioration. Like they say, don't believe in everything you read including mine.

Capt_bj 06-04-2019 10:45 AM

I bought my 2002 in Oct of that year

I learned the bung was a one time use item way back then ... nothing new here. The fact that majority of DIY folks re-use doesn't make it right

but I too changed to Fumoto and the issue became moot

Haynes for GEN1 in the section for oil change procedure

step 12: Discard the drain plug, a new one must be used. Note that the sealing ring is integral with the plug.

In other words the equivalent of replacing the crush seal is replacing the plug/seal unit

pnwR53S 06-04-2019 10:50 AM

So the multi-use Fumoto is more right than the don't know better DIY who reuse the plug? Right or wrong is in the eyes of the beholder I suppose :roll:. For me I use my head in addition to listen to those I respect and trust.

speedman 06-04-2019 11:52 AM

Most people understand the facts and don’t argue with them. Mini Cooper/BMW recommends a new plug every time. Wait until the plug you are using strips and then come back and tell us how you fixed it. Most people care enough to follow the directions. I hope no t everyone disputes the facts. Good luck on your old drain plug

speedman 06-04-2019 11:54 AM

There are too many want to be mechanics trying to cheap out on everything they do. Don’t be one of those cheap out mechanics.

Done and enough said on my part

pnwR53S 06-04-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by speedman (Post 4473455)
Has anyone used an EZ Oil Drain Valve on their mini.l

I see that you have globs of auto mechanical experience. No, no one have used this, and no one worth their DIY mechanic salt has done oil change and clueless enough that you are only supposed to buy a new drain plug every time. I avoid any products that spell EZ or as seen on TV and that is a hint, my man. :wink:

Oh, and BTW, the new plug that you buy every time for $5 is likely not a precious genuine BMW part with the molded rubber around steel integral washer. Look closer and it is likely a aftermarket clone that is constructed differently. BMW ones cost closer to $15.

Tgriffithjr 06-04-2019 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by speedman (Post 4473872)
There are too many want to be mechanics trying to cheap out on everything they do. Don’t be one of those cheap out mechanics.

Done and enough said on my part

Hey super mechanic. You do what you want to do with with your vehicle and I will do what I will with mine. You keep the personal insulting comments to yourself. Just because I choose to reuse my oil plug doesn’t mean I’m cheaping out or I’m a wanna be mechanic. When you make blanket statements on a blog they are directed towards everyone. I’ve reused the same oil plug many times. Maybe those having issues are torquing them down a little too much.

Snaps 06-04-2019 01:45 PM

I personally use a magnetic oil drain plug that I got from Way Motor Works years ago, and it's never given me issues. I think it does have a gasket on it, but I've never replaced it. Maybe I should, but the plug itself has never leaked, so... :popcorn:

Capt_bj 06-04-2019 02:05 PM

btw ... I just looked up the EZ (patent pending)

and it sure looks like a clone of the Fumoto to me ......

https://www.oildrainvalve.net/produc...mation-hex.gif

http://fumotousa.com/img/valve1.jpg

Fumoto has been around for 40 years

I wonder what EZ has to warrant a new patent . . .

RockC 06-04-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by pnwR53S (Post 4473507)
Actually come to remember the drain plug on the Mini has integral rubber washer which you cannot lose. I am thinking about the Porsche and all my other vehicles. I never waste money buying the price-gouging crash washers, unless they are very thin to begin with.

The Porsche drain plug sealing ring is *not* a crush washer but just what it is called. Sealing ring. The ring acts to seal the drain plug to the oil sump. The ring is made out of a pretty hard metal. If you look at a used one you can see the drain plug has put an imprint in the ring. If you reuse the ring with the damaged surface against the drain plug the drain plug may not end up at the same position as before and the seal between the drain plug and the ring may leak.

Or if you flip the ring over the damaged side now presses against the sump. This can damage that critical face against which the sealing ring seals.

Porsche techs tell me they can always tell when sealing rings have been reused. There is an oil stain around the drain plug and on the engine sump.

You should always use a new sealing ring. It is the sacrificial item in the drain plug/oil sump sealing. I always had extra rings on hand for just in case. And I carried a spare drain plug in each car's center console for just in case too.

alconk 06-04-2019 10:04 PM

I have used the Fumoto valve in other vehicles and loved it. Was very handy, just my .02

pnwR53S 06-05-2019 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by RockC (Post 4473952)
The Porsche drain plug sealing ring is *not* a crush washer but just what it is called. Sealing ring. The ring acts to seal the drain plug to the oil sump. The ring is made out of a pretty hard metal. If you look at a used one you can see the drain plug has put an imprint in the ring. If you reuse the ring with the damaged surface against the drain plug the drain plug may not end up at the same position as before and the seal between the drain plug and the ring may leak.

Or if you flip the ring over the damaged side now presses against the sump. This can damage that critical face against which the sealing ring seals.

Porsche techs tell me they can always tell when sealing rings have been reused. There is an oil stain around the drain plug and on the engine sump.

You should always use a new sealing ring. It is the sacrificial item in the drain plug/oil sump sealing. I always had extra rings on hand for just in case. And I carried a spare drain plug in each car's center console for just in case too.

So you carry a spare drain plug in each car's center console just in case? Must be a comfort thought that you have a spare one on hand after the one on the sump fell out. Me, no. I like living on the edge and don't mind a bit of oil stain around the drain plug should it fall out on the road.

Tgriffithjr 06-07-2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by pnwR53S (Post 4474097)
So you carry a spare drain plug in each car's center console just in case? Must be a comfort thought that you have a spare one on hand after the one on the sump fell out. Me, no. I like living on the edge and don't mind a bit of oil stain around the drain plug should it fall out on the road.

I feel special owning a vehicle that needs a new basic maintenance item replaced each time it’s taken off.’I wonder how many other highly engineered vehicles need new oil drain plugs each time the oil is replaced. I’m sure it makes our vehicles run much faster.