R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Sunroof strange fuse issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 08:12 PM
agoodecooper
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sunroof strange fuse issue

Hey, got a strange one here. Sunroof won't open. Push the button, not a sound of it even trying. I checked the fuse, not blown. Kept the fuse out for over a minute, then put it back in. Sunroof worked! Tilt, opens, closes. Great! Started car, checked sunroof and it still works! Went for a ride, all the while testing the sunroof randomly. Suddenly, no movement from sunroof. Pulled over, checked fuse, not blown, put fuse back in, sunroof works. Does the repeatedly.
Tried the various relearn/resets related to the sunroof, they appear to work. But then after 10 minutes or so, I don't have a working sunroof again, and have to pulled the fuse, and the process starts again.

Any ideas?

Old 05-04-2019, 01:18 AM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Scan the car with ISTA, sounds like a short causing the system to fail safe itself.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:24 AM
agoodecooper
Neutral
Not familiar with ISTA, but I have no easy access to it. Dealer is about 1.5 hrs away. I've gathered enough information to suspect its the sunroof motor/module unit located in the roof. Im going to replace that and go from there. Wouldn't a short usually pop a fuse though?

Old 05-05-2019, 11:01 AM
gold_ie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has water got in? I’m in the middle of that nightmare now. What fuse number? I need to try this. I’ve spent the last 5 months w water in the cabin. I just ripped out my headliner yesterday and reattached the sunroof drain tubes. I had no wipers or sunroof and bought a used BCU on eBay for $55 what a steal now my wipers work but no sunroof or key button function. Gotta dry the sucker out for a few days if it ever stops raining. I may try and buy a new switch I see one on eBay but idk yet. Now to try and Reglue the headliner yikes. My 04 R50 w 106k is starting to disintegrate. A major cause of the water was a plugged drain Rh side at the firewall. I recommend everyone check and clean that out to save your BCUs

Old 05-05-2019, 12:42 PM
agoodecooper
Neutral
Originally Posted by gold_ie
Has water got in? I’m in the middle of that nightmare now. What fuse number? I need to try this. I’ve spent the last 5 months w water in the cabin. I just ripped out my headliner yesterday and reattached the sunroof drain tubes. I had no wipers or sunroof and bought a used BCU on eBay for $55 what a steal now my wipers work but no sunroof or key button function. Gotta dry the sucker out for a few days if it ever stops raining. I may try and buy a new switch I see one on eBay but idk yet. Now to try and Reglue the headliner yikes. My 04 R50 w 106k is starting to disintegrate. A major cause of the water was a plugged drain Rh side at the firewall. I recommend everyone check and clean that out to save your BCUs
apparently at some point water got in, the previous owner fixed it. I believe it’s fuse f15. If I pull it for a bit then plug it in, sunroof works fine, then just stops working. So I’m going to try the motor/module. I feel sorry for the issues you’re having!

The following users liked this post:
gold_ie (05-05-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 04:46 PM
agoodecooper
Neutral
Just an update: Installed a good used motor/module for the sunroof, worked great for the first 10 minutes, then back the way it was. Have to pull the fuse for a minute then put fuse back in and sunroof works for 10 minutes. Not sure what it could be but going to try this http://zippeeshade.com/mini-cooper-s...y-zippeeshade/

Old 02-09-2023, 04:00 PM
corvetted52
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agoodecooper
Hey, got a strange one here. Sunroof won't open. Push the button, not a sound of it even trying. I checked the fuse, not blown. Kept the fuse out for over a minute, then put it back in. Sunroof worked! Tilt, opens, closes. Great! Started car, checked sunroof and it still works! Went for a ride, all the while testing the sunroof randomly. Suddenly, no movement from sunroof. Pulled over, checked fuse, not blown, put fuse back in, sunroof works. Does the repeatedly.
Tried the various relearn/resets related to the sunroof, they appear to work. But then after 10 minutes or so, I don't have a working sunroof again, and have to pulled the fuse, and the process starts again.

Any ideas?
I now it's an old post, but I'm having the same problem with my 2002 R53 , I wonder if you found The Solution, I also replaced de motor...Thanks