R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Aero kit paint job need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 04:00 PM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Aero kit paint job need help

hi folks - I’m finally getting around to getting my new factory full aero kit painted! I need some paint help/advice though....

I visited two reputable paint shops in Los Angeles and both have taken issue with the structured paint portion of the job. Both shops have advised me that they won’t be able to match the structured paint portions in texture to the factory it’s not that they said they couldn’t do what I wanted but they told me there is no way to get the structured paint to match (mainly texture wise - but also color wise) to the factory wheel arch trim pieces.

These are top notch shops - and work with minis/bmw often.

1) is this accurate? It seems logical as the arch pieces are not painted they are plastic and that color/texture by default. Makes sense that manually matching that look/feel would be very hard.

2) if YES I could have them paint the factory arch trims to match the new aero structured paint? Has anyone done that?

3) if NO does anyone have a recommendation for shops that have done this before and will know what to do in socal?

Thanks!

-Matt

Old 12-26-2018, 04:39 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
structured paint portion of the job

I'm not sure what you mean by 'structured portion'? You mean 'textured' as in the arches as you mention later? I'm gonna assume this is YES and proceed.

1) is this accurate? It seems logical as the arch pieces are not painted they are plastic and that color/texture by default. Makes sense that manually matching that look/feel would be very hard.
I never had the Aero kit but I don't recall there being a place where you painted the kit bits to match the arch trim???? I'm thinking the parts are wrong or incomplete but I could be 100% off base - but I am an owner since 2002 who's worked on a bunch so my memory IS a lil better than some. Anyone got pictures?

2) if YES I could have them paint the factory arch trims to match the new aero structured paint? Has anyone done that?
I know PLENTY of GEN1 folks (Aero and not) who painted their arches and it looks good. First one I knew did his immediately after delivery of his new 02-s. Drove from the dealer to the body shop for paint! One thing to be aware of: I'm TOLD that if the plastic arch material has been treated with Armor All or similar treatments there can be problems with getting the paint to stick. In this case you want to sand the arch texture off and not use filler to get smooth surfaces and even then there could be issues. Best plan was to buy NEW to give to the body shop and go from there. Never did it myself just passing on what I remember from days gone by. <and I do my own body work so can say this is not total b.s.>

p.s.

what color is the car you are working on? Have you considered the possibility of sun fade on the original paint causing the new to look wrong? Some colors are forgiving and some are NOT!

Old 12-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Vincent.
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just curious which shops did you contact in LA for your paint? I'm in LA too and want to get some paint work done on my R53.

I have an aero kit too and was looking to have the arch sections painted in the textured finish at one point. I even tried looking for a textured vinyl wrap to wrap the arches in as well. Haven't had much luck with this though. It seemed the easiest way is to paint the aero kit parts and wrap the arches in a textured black if you can find a wrap film that matches close enough. At one point Mini sold the paint to match the textured finish.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:39 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
I think he wanted the kit painted to match the color and texture of the arches. That would be difficult. But it’s possible to paint the kit and arches to match the body color.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:22 PM
Vincent.
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Page 5 of the PDF has the BMW / Mini code for the textured paint. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Aerodynamic Bodykit.PDF (368.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
I think the textured paint is no longer available from MINI. You might try using SEM textured paint to see how close the match is. You can buy SEM textured paint in rattle cans or by the quart. It’s sold at professional auto body supply shops, and the rattle can is even on Amazon. Here’s a link to their product page with some pics and videos on using the product and matching textures.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/...roduct-details