R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Suggetions for a CoilOver kit or Strut/Shock Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:11 PM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggetions for a CoilOver kit or Strut/Shock Kit

My 2006 Mini S has very tired springs and shocks/struts, it now sitting very low, I really dont know if previos owner had modified anything but shock look to be original MINIs
I'm looking to stiffen up suspension and lower maybe 1". The roads here in PR are very rough, uneven and full of potholes, so lowering would be just the minimum.

I would like to have SOME type of progressive spring or some way to adjust dampening easily.
I really need a full kit since parts in car are just too tired and worn.

I look at the H&R street Performance Coilover Kit, but the seller I used stated they could not set a delivery date (i guess out of stock and not available) for about $1,300
I found the Solo-Werks S1 Coilovers, that look to be an entry level Coil Over Kit... (springs are Front=linear Rear=Progressive) for about $499
also found BC Coilover Kit | BR Series these look to be more of a complete set, with a remote kit to easily adjust rear dampening, Spring rates: Front = 7.0 KG/mm [391 #/in] Rear = 8.0 kg/mm [447 #/in] = $1,100

Or should I go with Struts and stiffer springs?
I'm leaning towards de BC kit, I need to replace these shocks/struts ASAP

Any Suggestions?

Old 12-07-2018, 01:52 PM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Links to Products
(I hope I'm not breaking rules, if so please let me know And this post with link will be removed ASAP)

Seems ECS Tuning has a good selection of Coilovers, within my budget of $1,300 +/-

Any Suggestions or Previous Experience? with any of these or brands?

Thanks Again!

Old 12-07-2018, 02:21 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yep we got them.

Coilovers if you like to track and dial in. Struts and springs if you daily and light track. If you full track coilover are more adjustable. Solowerks has a rebate right and a good deal but its fixed dampening. You can always raise up the coilovers and adjust rebound on higher priced one. Also, coilovers allow you to go much lower.
Solo-werks, good entry level. fixed dampening.
H&R more high end and one of the first MINI centered kits around. Good finish and quality. Made in Germany.
BC - newer to the MINI game but have become popular in the MINI crowd, good spring rates. Quality in between the 2 above.

Coilovers
https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-...ion/Coilovers/

Daily and smooth ride, no complete dial in expect the koni sports:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-...sion/Cup_Kits/
https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-...ension/Shocks/
https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-...nsion/Springs/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
SiRaDuDe (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 02:58 PM
SiRaDuDe
1st Gear
Thanks!!

I was wondering between the H&R CoilOver Kits Red Springs (street performance kit) or Green Springs (RSS kit).
Which would be more street friendly and do you have them in stock? ( I just got a cancelled order from another for the RED springs Kit because of not available)THANKS AGAIN!

While I have your attention, whats the best sway adjustable sway bar you have in stck for an R53?