North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Time to change the pads and rotors...suggestions? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/333777-time-to-change-the-pads-and-rotors-suggestions.html)

IQRaceworks 11-30-2018 04:54 AM

Time to change the pads and rotors...suggestions?

I was doing some work on my car the other day and noticed that it's just about time to change the front pads again, and the oem rotors with close to 165,000 miles on them are at the end of their life also.

Are there any good pad and rotor kits out there that will improve the braking on these R53's? I've tired those Powerstop drilled and slotted rotor kits (with powerstop pads) on a few vehicles in the past, and I wans't really all that impressed with them.

Are am I better to just go back with oem style rotors, and a good aftermarket pad?

Thanks!

Fly'n Brick 11-30-2018 06:56 AM

I replaced all 4 corners with OEM discs and highly recommended EBC Red Stuff at a bit over 70K and trust them implicitly. Great feel and response, they also are lower in dust production. Check with any of the vendors listed here on NAM.

IQRaceworks 11-30-2018 07:14 AM

I've seen some people who have put R56 front calipers on the front of their R53......and ran the R56 rotors and pads on the front. For the added cost and hassle.......how much does that actually imlrove braking (if at all) ? What about the 4 piston oem R53 JCW front calipers.....if you could even find them, would those improve things much? What about SS lines? Worth the money?

Just looking at all of my options. The OEM mini brakes currently on the car seem ok....but for being such a light car that supposed to be designed around "sporty" driving.....the brakes really aren't that impressive. This isn't a track car, but faster stopping with less pedal effort is never a bad thing to have.

Mineeee 11-30-2018 07:19 AM

Based on reading up on the interweb I just ordered Akebono Euro pads (939 / 1060) for my 2005 (less than $90 total front and rear). Decision was based on (non track) braking performance , cost, and low dust. Dont know whats on the car now, but they seem to be made of compressed coal dust or something as the wheels stay clean for all of about 5 minutes.

Everything else is stock AFAIK, Ive not ventured near a track and for street use they seem to work just fine. I drive "stick" (its a mini;)) and use the gears instead of mashing the brakes, so in general I tend to go easy on them until a South Carolina native (driver or deer) is about to crash into me.

megaDan 11-30-2018 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by IQRaceworks (Post 4434921)
I've seen some people who have put R56 front calipers on the front of their R53......and ran the R56 rotors and pads on the front. For the added cost and hassle.......how much does that actually imlrove braking (if at all) ? What about the 4 piston oem R53 JCW front calipers.....if you could even find them, would those improve things much? What about SS lines? Worth the money?

Just looking at all of my options. The OEM mini brakes currently on the car seem ok....but for being such a light car that supposed to be designed around "sporty" driving.....the brakes really aren't that impressive. This isn't a track car, but faster stopping with less pedal effort is never a bad thing to have.

I considered the R56 route, but being that mine is a budget build I stuck with new rotors and aftermarket pads. I too am thrilled with EBC Redstuff. With some VERY spirited mountain driving in TN and NC this fall, with a passenger and 300lb of stuff in the hatch; EBC did not disappoint. Stopping power was plenty and I did not experience any fade. I disagree with the 'low dust' comment though, my silver wheels were dark grey after a few aggressive runs.

Fly'n Brick 11-30-2018 07:40 AM

I wouldn't say 'low' dust, just less than OEM pads. Any pad will create dust to a degree of it's own.

ThumpR52 11-30-2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by IQRaceworks (Post 4434921)

The Chevy SS Cobalt Brembos will work but you would have to grind 1/16" out of each hub caliper mounting hole. They also use the GP2 rotor, 330mm. The larger rotor equates to less peddle force as well as the ability to sustain more braking prior to fade due to heat. The GP2 are 1" thick as well. Need 17" wheels as well for them to work.

The stock OEM brakes are quite good and with good fluid it takes allot of heat to make them fade.

lotter1 11-30-2018 08:33 AM

I got my rotors and pads from Rotorpros, they were recommended on a different forum for my duramax. Paid $560 for all four corners for the truck and Mini. Crossed drilled and slotted with pads. I will replace the pads with EBC though. I must also say, I did the R56 conversion up front with stainless lines front and back, and that was a huge difference. I can't compare it to what a new stock setup would be, but way better than what I replaced.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...ca8cc8543e.jpg

SupeR53 12-05-2018 07:13 AM

I run the R56 calipers and rotors, it was that way when I bought it and it stops like nobody's business with Hawk HPS pads. My daughter has an R56 Justa that she also Autocrosses, and she just put a full set of Hawk HPS pads on and she states that the braking is so much better that it feels like she's driving my MCS.
I've put drilled and slotted rotors on street cars before, and its basically a waste of money unless you track the car hard. I'd suggest going with a premium pad and stock rotor, you'll get more bang for the buck, and decrease your stopping distances. BTW, I also put SS lines on the MCS, not a lot of feel difference, but the old lines were 10 years old, and in need of replacing anyway so I sprang for the extra $50 for durability.

IQRaceworks 12-07-2018 04:40 AM

I saw a set of Brembo OEM style rotors on ebay for around $200 for fronts and rears. Are they decent quality? What about the Brembo pads? Are they just an oem type pad, or are they any better?

And yes, I would agree on the comment you made about the drilled and slotted rotors........I've tried those on other cars in the past, and they are the same or worse as an OEM rotor unless you are on the getting the rotors glowing red hot. And all of those holes and slots (places were the pads are not touching the rotors) give you less actual surface area on the rotor for the pads to grip onto. Unless you are just wanting to look cool, they are a waste of money....unless it's a dedicated track car that needs those holes and slots to help with the pads degassing because they are getting so hot.

MINIKB 12-08-2018 12:43 PM

I have Hawk pads and Stoptech slotted rotors on all 4 corners.

Very very low dust (if any) and very quiet.

Capt_bj 12-08-2018 01:59 PM

Way offers well thought out packages IMO ......

MINI brakes have been over engineered as compared to the size of the car from day one. If you aren't tracking you don't need holes slots or BIGGER. The OE pads and rotors are good but DIRTY .... good is soft to BMW and soft is dirty.

I liked EBC Green for many years with plain jane rotors but in recent years got to liking EBC RED .... maybe a lil less dust.

side comment .... our 15 R59 seems to toss WAY less dust as compared to our earlier MINIs.

did they change the pad compound??? Dunno, but just washed the 59 for the first time in weeks (Mrs' car) and the wheels are just lightly dusted .... nothing like what I saw on my 2 and 7

CRC 12-10-2018 08:01 AM

I've been using a combination of Centric rotors and Akebono EUR939/1060 ceramic pads on my '06 R50 daily driver for about the last 3 years. I commute about 114 miles a day for work, and found this combo to be good for braking/dust/wear/etc. Plus they don't break the bank in the process.

ramjet77 12-12-2018 06:37 AM

I'm on my second set of Brembo OEM style rotors and their ceramic pads, front and rear, and have been extremely satisfied with them. Significantly less dust than either OEM or EBC Green pads. I get them from Tire Rack for less than $400.

Steverino68 12-15-2018 04:55 PM

Just put new pads & rotors on all around. This time went with EBC Redstuff and Centric high carbon rotors (no slots / holes). So far really impressed with the grip & feel. Hoping for a bit less dust than the EBC Greenstuff I had previously.

Zsm 12-15-2018 07:14 PM

Good to see many others using Centric rotors too. I went with them for both rotors and pads as welll. So far so good on the kid’s car. Not a lot dust from the ceramic pads either.

wildwilly2004 12-16-2018 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Zsm (Post 4437876)

Good to see many others using Centric rotors too. I went with them for both rotors and pads as welll. So far so good on the kid’s car. Not a lot dust from the ceramic pads either.

I have had Great Luck with Centric rotors from Rock. Cheap and durable!

IQRaceworks 12-19-2018 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ramjet77 (Post 4437093)
I'm on my second set of Brembo OEM style rotors and their ceramic pads, front and rear, and have been extremely satisfied with them. Significantly less dust than either OEM or EBC Green pads. I get them from Tire Rack for less than $400.

This is what I went with. Brembo rotors, and Brembo ceramic pads. For the price, they are hard to beat.

IQRaceworks 01-03-2019 07:27 AM

**UPDATE**

Well, I got the new Brembo rotors and pads on. I'm really happy with them so far. The initial bite is about the same as the Powerstop pads I had before, but the overall braking power is a lot better. Before I really had to stomp on the pedal to get the ABS to start working....now it takes much less effort. They are quite, and hopefully they will produce less dust that the Powestops.

Overall I'm very happy....if I remember right, I think it was well under $400 for all four rotors and four sets of pads. Not bad at all.

pnwR53S 01-09-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by IQRaceworks (Post 4441365)
**UPDATE**

Well, I got the new Brembo rotors and pads on. I'm really happy with them so far. The initial bite is about the same as the Powerstop pads I had before, but the overall braking power is a lot better. Before I really had to stomp on the pedal to get the ABS to start working....now it takes much less effort. They are quite, and hopefully they will produce less dust that the Powestops.

Overall I'm very happy....if I remember right, I think it was well under $400 for all four rotors and four sets of pads. Not bad at all.

Can we please see the before and after stopping distance? All talk is trash without data.

IQRaceworks 01-09-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by pnwR53S (Post 4442647)
Can we please see the before and after stopping distance? All talk is trash without data.

Man, now you are just making yourself look childish and desperate. Just curious....how old are you?

pnwR53S 01-09-2019 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by IQRaceworks (Post 4442650)
Man, now you are just making yourself look childish and desperate. Just curious....how old are you?

for the bystander that wonder wtf :eek2: here is the context