North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 Lady needs advice 06 Cooper S (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/332380-lady-needs-advice-06-cooper-s.html)

Ms.Mini2006 10-11-2018 12:08 AM

Lady needs advice 06 Cooper S

Hello Everyone!

First off, I want to say how thankful I am for this site and for everyone who has provided their expertise in Mini's, its so helpful!

Ok, so I bought my first Mini, a used 06 Mini Cooper S.... I am a college student and this seemed like a perfect car for me to commute in and I just LOVE it! First problem is that my paddle shifters on the steering when do not work and it also seems that when I put it into sport mode and try to shift nothing happens. Also when I drive it, It accelerates and I can go up to 70 mph, however, as I accelerate my RPMS accelerate to around 6 thousand and stay there they NEVER go down unless I let off the gas pedal, no matter what speed I am going. In all the previous cars I have driven or owned, usually, the RPMs will go down to around 2-3 when I am driving a steady speed, not continuously rise as my speed increases. For example If i go 50 MPH my RPMs will stay around 4 thousand, if I go 60 MPH my RPMs will stay around 5 thousand and will continue to rise as I accelerate.

I have been to scared to let the RPMS go to the red line so i have never driven it faster than 65 PMH continuously at 6 RPMS

I have only driven it a few times because I dont want to hurt it.

I have taken it the shop twice already and the first time they told me it was a problem with the instrument cluster, so I bought a used one and they programmed it for me and told me my car was good to go. A total of $1000

As I drove the car away I noticed the same problem is happening, as I gain speed the RPMs go up and NEVER drop unless I let off the gas pedal. Is this normal? Also the paddle shifters are still not working, and when I put it in sport mode and try to shift nothing happens nor do I see any thing on the dash indicating if i am in D or what gear I am in. I dont think it is but I am new to Mini's and I could use some advice! I just got my hand shook and my money took and Im feeling kinda hopeless at this point!

But I love my mini and I hope to find some help!

Thank you!

MVPeters 10-11-2018 03:47 AM

If you've only just bought the car I think I'd take it back again - the transmission should not behave that way.
Changing the transmission oil certainly won't hurt.
But you might try this - free - reset procedure: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...aptations.html

WayMotorWorks 10-11-2018 06:53 AM

Find a MINI specific shop and have them do some diagnosis. There is too much guessing involved without seeing the car.

Fly'n Brick 10-11-2018 07:34 AM

+1 what Way says about finding an independent BMW/MINI shop. As you have observed, the dealership took a wild guess and threw a new part at it. The independent will analyze the situation and find a logical solution for considerably less $$$. If you indicate your general location, someone from that area may well provide you with where to take it.

I_Forge_KC 10-11-2018 07:41 AM

https://www.minirepairshops.com/

buzzsaw 10-11-2018 09:13 AM

Another source to find independent MINI repair shops is a search of indie BMW repair shops in the area. They will either have the abillity to service a MINI or know of a shop that can.

H_C 10-11-2018 09:22 AM

If you plan on keeping the car for an extended period of time, I suggest you invest in a good OBD II scanner that's specific to Mini's.
If you are on a budget, you could always ask a local member if you could borrow the scanner to scan for fault codes.

Minnie.the.Moocher 10-11-2018 09:23 AM

As mentioned find a quality shop.
Secondly get your money back from the first shop. Small claims court if needed. That's a lot of cash for a non fix. I'd be livid.

Ms.Mini2006 10-11-2018 10:13 AM

MVPeters, I thought about changing the transmission fluid but I am not sure which fluid to buy. Also I believe that video is for the CVT tranny's and I am pretty sure I do not have one of those. Thank you!

Ms.Mini2006 10-11-2018 10:17 AM

Fly'n Brick - Yes I am going to have to take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. The one I took it to has a very good reputation so I trusted them. The only problem is I live in a remote area with the nearest shop being 100 miles away, which involves a tow every time and that tow is not cheap!

Ms.Mini2006 10-11-2018 10:19 AM

Minnie.The.Moocher - yes I have called them and asked for my money back but they said they paid money for this special program that was needed to "program" the new instrument cluster. I dont know its very discouraging.

MrGrumpy 10-11-2018 10:30 AM

I’m with Minnie the Moocher on this one!! A grand is a lot of scratch for a not fixed problem! Not knowing much else about your car, If it was me, I would first get it scanned for diagnostic trouble codes (DTC’s) with a good OBD2 scan tool for MINI/BMW. If that didn’t reveal anything, the next step I would probably try would be to reset the adaptations for the transmission. I don’t know what’s up with the paddle shifters though, they should work. In normal driving mode, on mine, when you use them, they will briefly change the gear, but it will default back to automatic mode after 5 seconds or so. If you knock the shifter to the left, this is sport+ and changes the shift point to be more aggressive, and also that’s where you can use the paddles for manual shifting. There may be a bad relay or something....hard to say over the web.
If those don’t help, you are probably looking at either biting the bullet and taking it to a good shop that specializes in MINI/BMW or a MINI dealership (I have mixed feelings about them) or depending on when you bought it....possibly returning the car and finding a different MINI. I know that’s not what you want to hear, and I’m sorry about that. But there’s nothing worse than having to deal with a previous owners lack of care and maintenance.
Good luck, let us know how it’s going.

Ms.Mini2006 10-11-2018 02:05 PM

Ok everyone, thank you for all the replies I was able to borrow an OBD scanner and the code that came up was a transmission code : 2930 Pressure control solenoid, Circuit is inside the valve body.

Could this be causing the high RMPs all the time?

How hard is this to replace?

minnimal 10-11-2018 02:54 PM

This sounds a lot like a slipping transmission, or a shot valve body, i'm currently experiencing similar symptoms but just really hard shifts.

Sounds like you need a new tranmission or new valve body and solenoids from revmax.

MrGrumpy 10-11-2018 03:48 PM

I forgot to ask you, how long ago you purchased the car, that makes a difference as to some of the advice as far as options.
Also, welcome to the forum and to the Mini Ownership Club, ha ha, make sure you wave to other Mini’s even if some don’t return the pleasantry.
we like pictures of your car too!
good luck and keep us updated. Don’t be afraid to ask more questions. We are fairly nice people:-)

Ms.Mini2006 10-11-2018 04:31 PM

Im not sure how to wave at everyone, or I would wave at everyone who replied ! I just purchased the car about a month ago and I have only driven it like twice.

Another note I forgot to mention is when I bought it the guy told me it needed a new motor mount. But when I took it to the shop I told them what the guy said and they said all the motor and tranny mounts are fine.

Even though the RPMs go high while I am accelerating the tranny still feels strong, I was hoping it could possibly be something electrical since the gear nob shifter and the paddle shifters are not working either. Also, I noticed when I drove it last that the gas gauge is wrong it kept bouncing from a full tank to an empty tank right after I filled it all the way up.

Im thinking the reason I can not manually shift it with the gear nob or paddle shifters is related to the reason for the tranny acting this way?

Am I close?

MrGrumpy 10-11-2018 04:51 PM

They very well could be related. A thorough diagnostic is probably your best bet.
And I only meant to wave at other Mini’s if you see them while driving. It’s a Mini thing.

Ms.Mini2006 10-11-2018 05:04 PM

Oh, Thats what you meant !Im a dork lol !

OCR 10-11-2018 06:54 PM

Ms.Mini2006 -

Again, find a shop with current and DIRECT "Mini Cooper" experience.
Sounds like that should be plenty of "codes" to diagnose the problem(s) with an OBD reader.

Where are you located ?

Mike

Ms.Mini2006 10-11-2018 06:56 PM

I am in Southern California a place called Salton City.

MrGrumpy 10-11-2018 07:26 PM

There should be plenty of places in CA to take it to. It may not be right around the corner, but they are out there. Like stated, find one that is a Euro shop at the very least, but the more specialized for BMW/MINI they are, the better off you are likely to be. These cars have a proprietary software, so most general scan tools will not be able to read all of the codes. It needs to have the compatible software to get all of them. Hopefully the one that was loaned to you was a good one. The code it gave you should help a good tech diagnose the issue.

Ms.Mini2006 10-12-2018 12:42 PM

Do you know if it is possible to swap the tranny with an 07 MCS?

OCR 10-12-2018 01:18 PM

Ms. -

Too far away I'd assume. I've found what appears to be a good independent shop in Covina. All BMW guys, the owner has a hot rod Mini.
Good luck in finding reputable help.

Mike

MrGrumpy 10-12-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ms.Mini2006 (Post 4425906)

I don’t know the answer to that one, but I think it’s possible. As long as it’s the same motor, I’m not sure what year the switch to the turbo from a supercharger happened. Somebody with more knowledge of that year MCS will need to chime in on that one.

RB-MINI 10-12-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ms.Mini2006 (Post 4425906)

Probably only with an S cabrio as '07 and '08 cabrios were still 1st gens.