North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Groaning coming from passenger side when turning wheel (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/329407-groaning-coming-from-passenger-side-when-turning-wheel.html)

ijourneaux 07-11-2018 04:30 AM

Groaning coming from passenger side when turning wheel

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that I was getting a groaning sound from the front passenger wheel well when turning in either direction. I thought it might be related to the brakes but, after doing the front brakes to deal with the brake pad warning light, that is not the case.

Tie-rod? Hub? WHere should I start looking.

AoxoMoxoA 07-11-2018 05:26 AM

Most likely a wheel bearing. How many miles?

cyow5 07-11-2018 05:30 AM

Carsick passenger?

JABowders 07-11-2018 06:13 AM

I also read it as Groaning Passenger as wheel is turned...

Start with checking the Strut Tower Mount
then Wheel Bearing also possible Bearing Carrier
then Brakes (Rotor and Caliper and Pads)
then the Lower Control Arm Bushings

I'm pretty sure you'll find it going though the list.

Best of luck.

Motor On!

whatamayniak 07-11-2018 05:55 PM

could also be the axle. my boot just tore and its making what i would like to say, a groaning noise.

ijourneaux 07-11-2018 07:13 PM

I had a good laugh reading the responses. Made my day.

Noise only occurs when I turn the wheels. Don't need to be moving. I did an axle replacement on a ford Tempo about 15 years ago. How difficult is it on a Mini.

ijourneaux 07-11-2018 07:15 PM

Another thread mentions the strut mounts. They also mention "mushrooming". What is that?

JABowders 07-12-2018 04:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Strut Mounts...

This is the location of the Strut Mount and the mounting bolts and nuts, what they look like new... and a bad one.

And in some cases the mounting point will deform and "bulge" upward.

Motor On!

AoxoMoxoA 07-12-2018 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by ijourneaux (Post 4405552)
...Noise only occurs when I turn the wheels. Don't need to be moving...

That important detail was not included in your first post, which is why I initially guessed wheel bearing...

That said, the subsequent advice to first check the strut mounts is correct. You would hear it; right at the top. With the car stationary and hood open, get an assistant to turn the wheel left and right while you listen at the right strut mount. If it's the strut mount, you'll hear the noise -- right there.

If you don't hear it there, try honing in on where it actually is coming from.

ijourneaux 07-13-2018 06:03 PM

No problem AoxoMoxoA. Thanks for piping in.

I had time today to dig into the problem. THe noise is clearly coming from the strut mount area.
Now that I know what I am looking for, there is some mushrooming in the area but I would ahve had to know what it was supposed to look like to notice it.

When I did strut replacement on my Toyota Previa Just took the strut out and did the work there.

On the web there are some links on how to replace the strut mounts without removing the strut. Is that worth while pursuing or should I just do it conventionally. If I take it all of the way out, would probaably do the strut as well but right now, I would just like to do the mounts if reasonable.