Broken Valve Spring - North American Motoring

R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

Broken Valve Spring

Old 05-17-2018, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

Broken Valve Spring

Finally got around to installing the RMW dominator cam on my 2006 JCW. I took off the valve cover and discovered a broken intake valve spring on cylinder 2. It could have been broken for awhile or more recent. I have 84K on it. I have been tracking it and have not noticed a loss of power. I'm planning on just replacing that spring without pulling the head. Should i pull the head and do all of them?
If I do just the one, can anyone recommend a valve spring tool that will work? It's super tight in there?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:01 PM
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter

It is hard to say why the spring broke, but I think I would pull the head, replace the springs with tested ones. A broken spring can happen, but it can also be several poorly heat treated, in a lot, which may include others in your head!
It really is up to you, how you feel about it!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:07 AM
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Finally got around to installing the RMW dominator cam on my 2006 JCW. I took off the valve cover and discovered a broken intake valve spring on cylinder 2. It could have been broken for awhile or more recent. I have 84K on it. I have been tracking it and have not noticed a loss of power. I'm planning on just replacing that spring without pulling the head. Should i pull the head and do all of them?
If I do just the one, can anyone recommend a valve spring tool that will work? It's super tight in there?
Reading a lot of posts, it seems broken valve spring is rather common with R53s. Pulling the head is a lot more work and expense. The up side is you can replace all the valve guide seals much easier.

If you try to avoid pulling the head, it might be a good idea do a compression test first to see if the valve have been seating poorly. Good it is on a intake valve rather than exhaust that is a lot hotter. I would do a test before and after to gauge the health of that valve, guide, and seat.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:18 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwR53S View Post
Reading a lot of posts, it seems broken valve spring is rather common with R53s. Pulling the head is a lot more work and expense. The up side is you can replace all the valve guide seals much easier.

If you try to avoid pulling the head, it might be a good idea do a compression test first to see if the valve have been seating poorly. Good it is on a intake valve rather than exhaust that is a lot hotter. I would do a test before and after to gauge the health of that valve, guide, and seat.

I think I will put in a new spring in without pulling the head. Check the compression and do more work if necessary.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:58 AM

I have a grab type compressor since high school , but that looks awfully tight. May need to remove the spark plug tube to get more room.

Old Today, 12:49 PM

I found my USA made grab type compressor today looking for tools. You are welcomed to try it.