North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006-8/)
-   -   R50/53 MC40 on Wheelers Dealers (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/326481-mc40-on-wheelers-dealers.html)

gumbedamit 04-23-2018 06:35 AM

MC40 on Wheelers Dealers

They are having a show on the MC40's this coming Wednesday on the Velocity Channel.

Otaurus23 04-24-2018 04:59 AM

That'a a mini lovers dream to see them on the tube.

wc351 04-24-2018 05:49 AM

Already set my DVR to record that episode.

Rich Rodichok 04-24-2018 07:12 AM

DVR Set. Over the weekend I watched an episode of Junkyard Empire where they restored a already modified Classic Mini. Problem with this show is they gloss over the work. Car goes from complete disaster to Boom, all done. I want to see what's involved.

gumbedamit 04-24-2018 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rich Rodichok (Post 4385032)
DVR Set. Over the weekend I watched an episode of Junkyard Empire where they restored a already modified Classic Mini. Problem with this show is they gloss over the work. Car goes from complete disaster to Boom, all done. I want to see what's involved.

Unfortunately, Wheeler Dealers changed their format as well, thus the reason for Ed China leaving. Example: Last week they restored a 69 Opel GT, I had a 1970, which is the same car. They failed to mention that the valves needed to be changed to reflect the use of unleaded gas, Ed would have put that part into the show. It's still more involved than most other car shows, there was just more detail with Ed.

Minnie.the.Moocher 04-24-2018 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by gumbedamit (Post 4385034)
Unfortunately, Wheeler Dealers changed their format as well, thus the reason for Ed China leaving. Example: Last week they restored a 69 Opel GT, I had a 1970, which is the same car. They failed to mention that the valves needed to be changed to reflect the use of unleaded gas, Ed would have put that part into the show. It's still more involved than most other car shows, there was just more detail with Ed.

The show is actually better now IMO. Edd was fine, but Ant is more polished and makes the show appeal to a wider audience. They are never going to mention every issue with every car, it is not a technical training video for young mechanics.

They cut out some of the Mike antics and breakfast noshing, which is a good thing. Looking forward to seeing this weeks show!:popcorn:

gumbedamit 04-24-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher (Post 4385037)
The show is actually better now IMO. Edd was fine, but Ant is more polished and makes the show appeal to a wider audience. They are never going to mention every issue with every car, it is not a technical training video for young mechanics.

They cut out some of the Mike antics and breakfast noshing, which is a good thing. Looking forward to seeing this weeks show!:popcorn:

The devil is in the details, I liked Ed taking apart an AudiTT's transmission fixing it with a $10 solution or getting the S2000's intricate 24v head sorted out. Not looking for training, I liked the show because it had less fluff and more stuff, that's just my 2cents...

AoxoMoxoA 04-24-2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by gumbedamit (Post 4385044)
The devil is in the details, I liked Ed taking apart an AudiTT's transmission fixing it with a $10 solution or getting the S2000's intricate 24v head sorted out. Not looking for training, I liked the show because it had less fluff and more stuff, that's just my 2cents...

Agreed!

Ant (Edd lite?) is a likeable bloke for sure, but Edd dug in deep to explain the hows and whys, which to me had infinitely more value than Mike's shtick...

Minnie.the.Moocher 04-24-2018 10:30 AM

The takeaway from the few comments = Edd & Ant, lose the Mike! That would be a far better show.

Oh no, ready for the barrage of Mike defenders. Duck!

gumbedamit 04-24-2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher (Post 4385096)
The takeaway from the few comments = Edd & Ant, lose the Mike! That would be a far better show.

+1:thumbsup:

BlwnAway 04-24-2018 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher (Post 4385096)

Mike is the heart and soul of the......

Sorry couldn't even finish writing that, I'd watch Ant and Ed all day long, anyone can find cars to work on....

bcgreen 04-25-2018 08:08 PM

They missed the GB on the back and they didn't mention the all important vehicle number that sits between the seats.
So how many here are going to do their own 100k service?

spyder152 04-25-2018 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bcgreen (Post 4385473)
They missed the GB on the back and they didn't mention the all important vehicle number that sits between the seats.
So how many here are going to do their own 100k service?

They made the supercharger maintenance look easy

AoxoMoxoA 04-26-2018 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by spyder152 (Post 4385474)

The fuel filter change was the cleanest I've seen!

They couldn't hide however, the klutzy job of draining of the coolant. Better done with car low to the ground, IMO.

Speaking of coolant, it looked like the engine interior was coated in a fair amount of rusty sludge when he pulled both the water pump and thermostat.

Overall, fun to watch.

gumbedamit 04-26-2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by spyder152 (Post 4385474)

Did mine already, just wished that it would have taken less than an hour, just like Ant :lol::lol::lol::thumbsup:

AoxoMoxoA 04-26-2018 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by gumbedamit (Post 4385551)
Did mine already, just wished that it would have taken less than an hour, just like Ant :lol::lol::lol::thumbsup:

And he also had time to pretty it up!

How did your s/c oil compare to the TV MINI in both color and quantity drained?

I've done everything on that 100k mile service and more, with the exception of the s/c service, which is coming up very soon.

gumbedamit 04-26-2018 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA (Post 4385554)
And he also had time to pretty it up!

How did your s/c oil compare to the TV MINI in both color and quantity drained?

I've done everything on that 100k mile service and more, with the exception of the s/c service, which is coming up very soon.

The quantity was about the same,but my oil was much darker. I don't how much time I spent on the SC service, I was doing LCA bushings and a ton of other things over the course of a weekend. I'd also would have like to have stayed that clean while doing all that work. :)

Otaurus23 04-26-2018 08:49 AM

overall good show to see a mini.

RickBe 04-30-2018 12:03 PM

Mike commented on the "aftermarket" headlights when he did the initial inspection, and they included $500 for new headlights in the restoration summary, but the car still didn't have the correct headlights. I'd like to have those seats in my car.

miniCPA 04-30-2018 01:34 PM

When they took out the Alta air intake. did they miss restoring some of the stock parts? It appeared to me that there was a panel parallel to the fire wall missing. I assume that this was taken out to install the Alta system and was trashed.

My question for the experts is: If you upgrade to an Alta air intake, can you go back to stock later or do you need to cut out parts that are not easily repaired?

RickBe 04-30-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by miniCPA (Post 4386729)
When they took out the Alta air intake. did they miss restoring some of the stock parts? It appeared to me that there was a panel parallel to the fire wall missing. I assume that this was taken out to install the Alta system and was trashed.

My question for the experts is: If you upgrade to an Alta air intake, can you go back to stock later or do you need to cut out parts that are not easily repaired?

The Alta intake that I bought in '03 used some of the stock weather stripping to seal the new part to the hood so that air would be drawn through the grille below the driver's-side windshield wiper.
The filter installed in the Wheeler Dealers car, though the filter element appears to be the same, has a "box" around it that mine doesn't, so the stock filter and box may have been removed completely.
I think I'd need just one piece of weather stripping to restore the original intake box and filter element.

mikeswagon 05-01-2018 07:21 AM

I'm not sure when that episode will air this side of the pond.

Did Brewer sit on the bonnet? I wish he wouldn't do that...... might give them a visit and see how they like it :https://www.mikebrewermotors.com/

I liked Edd, in fact I've not seen the show since he left. He'd have been sitting on the back seat when they drive before selling on :grin:

MoBoost 05-01-2018 02:40 PM

Toward the end, while they’re doing the test drive, there’s a quick shot from the back seat. The check engine light was on!
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...12f391ae9.jpeg

AoxoMoxoA 05-01-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MoBoost (Post 4387038)
Toward the end, while they’re doing the test drive, there’s a quick shot from the back seat. The check engine light was on!

That would’ve been hilarious, but I’m pretty sure that’s the tire pressure lamp. Check engine lamp is on the tach.

A383Wing 05-02-2018 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA (Post 4387041)

That would’ve been hilarious, but I’m pretty sure that’s the tire pressure lamp. Check engine lamp is on the tach.

The light that is on is the "rear hatch open" lamp, the tire lamp is the next one to the right