Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Dipstick for R53

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dipstick for R53

So I've been reading about dipsticks breaking on the 1st Gen Mini's and I am not about to wait for that to happen. Have you guys found any worthy dipsticks? I've read mixed reviews on the Craven Speed one. Anyone here have them on their R53? I want something that won't break with an accurate reading of course. Thanks ya'll!

Old 04-16-2018, 12:19 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
... all stock for mine ...

Motor On!

Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 PM
OKCmike
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out this link for the Meta: https://www.ebay.com/p/BMW-Mini-Coop...75.m4097.l9055

I had a CravenSpeed and found that it over reads due to being so floppie. Meta is stiff wire type and works great, no more worries.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperwhitejcw
So I've been reading about dipsticks breaking on the 1st Gen Mini's and I am not about to wait for that to happen. Have you guys found any worthy dipsticks? I've read mixed reviews on the Craven Speed one. Anyone here have them on their R53? I want something that won't break with an accurate reading of course. Thanks ya'll!
I think the breakage has a lot to do with how they are pulled out. I've noticed most people are right handed and will pull at the dipstick with their right hands causing it to bind, I was guilty of this myself and noticed how much friction there was with me doing just that. Now I remove it with my left hand and it glides right out, no binding, just my 2cents.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:18 PM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
I think the breakage has a lot to do with how they are pulled out. I've noticed most people are right handed and will pull at the dipstick with their right hands causing it to bind, I was guilty of this myself and noticed how much friction there was with me doing just that. Now I remove it with my left hand and it glides right out, no binding, just my 2cents.
interwsting. I am right handed but I’ve always removed it with my left, since it’s on the left side lol

Old 04-16-2018, 05:21 PM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OKCmike
Check out this link for the Meta: https://www.ebay.com/p/BMW-Mini-Coop...75.m4097.l9055

I had a CravenSpeed and found that it over reads due to being so floppie. Meta is stiff wire type and works great, no more worries.
That one says not to leave plugged in?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 PM
OKCmike
Neutral

That one says not to leave plugged in?
What? Don't see where ya got that. Anyway just noticed on 2nd look, states sold out at this time. Sorry bout that, hopefully they'll be restocked in near future.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:58 PM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OKCmike
What? Don't see where ya got that. Anyway just noticed on 2nd look, states sold out at this time. Sorry bout that, hopefully they'll be restocked in near future.
I clicked on the first one, and it says so in the description. It also says there are 10 available..?

What about this one?

https://www.outmotoring.com/917-315-...2007-2008.html

Old 04-16-2018, 07:12 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear

interwsting. I am right handed but I’ve always removed it with my left, since it’s on the left side lol
Has yours broken?

Old 04-16-2018, 07:12 PM
OKCmike
Neutral
I clicked on the first one, and it says so in the description. It also says there are 10 available..?

What about this one?

https://www.outmotoring.com/917-315-...2007-2008.html
Oh Ok, had to click on that one and saw what you were referring to. That's not the Meta dipstick but another listing in related products. States it for automatic tranny fluid check and for Mini's that didn't come with dipstick (WTF) Don't understand that listing at all. The link to outmotoring dip stick looks to be the same as Meta and should do the trick.

Last edited by OKCmike; 04-16-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:29 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I broke two dipsticks before getting the Craven one. Took some getting used to but it's been working just fine for me for over a year. After measured oil change it hits the top hole right on, so I can't personally complain on accuracy.

I think I broke my factory ones by twisting slightly as I pulled (it's hard not to, esp when it's ALWAYS stuck). The shaft split and had a spiral break both times.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:05 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
@HaltCatchFire.
I just read your thread. Nice chronological detailed posts. You screen name cannot hide your geeky part and so are the posts and photos. I watched Halt and Catch Fire and really enjoyed it, though much less than Mad Men. I only wish it is less about internet and more about PCs as how the story first developed.

what are the two cabinets in the garage?

Old 04-17-2018, 01:38 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
I've been found out! I've not heard of that show actually, but seems right up my alley so I'll have to check it out. I design those chips for a living so that's where the name comes from

Those boxes in the pic are my other pride and joy, a restored Shizuoka AN-S CNC milling machine on the left, and the control box and paper tape reader on the right. Yes, paper tape - the system is from the 70's. Fun fact, that machine weighs as much as three mini coopers stacked!

Old 04-17-2018, 02:05 PM
pnwR53S
I only wish I have an acreage and a barn. I would outfit it with a machine shop and a lift.

I binge watched Halt and Catch Fire on Netflix. I had mixed feeling initially but soon got drawn in. It is surprisingly good especially on the human side of the tech pioneers. What is surprising is anyone with the right mind will invest in such production as the Guardian article "Farewell to Halt and Catch Fire, the best show that nobody watched" Mad Men has a much wider appeal for average folks and you don't have to be in the creative industry to get it.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:32 PM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Has yours broken?
nope.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:32 PM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HaltCatchFire
I broke two dipsticks before getting the Craven one. Took some getting used to but it's been working just fine for me for over a year. After measured oil change it hits the top hole right on, so I can't personally complain on accuracy.

I think I broke my factory ones by twisting slightly as I pulled (it's hard not to, esp when it's ALWAYS stuck). The shaft split and had a spiral break both times.
so just pull straight out, no twisting?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:17 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear

Might (?) help prolong the life. I would also wear cotton gloves and play soothing music to be safe - I gave up trying to figure them out.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:34 PM
pnwR53S

I still have the original dipstick. My technique is first twist the handle CW and CCW 15 degrees or so to break the bond between the o-rings and the steel tube. Then I pull it out and twist the same if necessary. As I pull the dipstick out I pay attention how the dipstick want to twist and let it twist as the tip (with a square cross section) negotiates the two severe bends of the steel tube. It has to twist as it negotiates the bends as the tip has a square cross section.

Inserting the dipstick is the same idea. I let it twist how it wants to as I insert it. This technique impart the least stress on the poor thing.

I have a few posts on the dipstick including finding the cheapest replacement. Here is one about the bends of the steel tube.

My original dipstick shows no sign of departing yet. The o-rings are a little tired.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 AM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HaltCatchFire
Might (?) help prolong the life. I would also wear cotton gloves and play soothing music to be safe - I gave up trying to figure them out.
Hahahahaha

Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 AM
pepperwhitejcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I still have the original dipstick. My technique is first twist the handle CW and CCW 15 degrees or so to break the bond between the o-rings and the steel tube. Then I pull it out and twist the same if necessary. As I pull the dipstick out I pay attention how the dipstick want to twist and let it twist as the tip (with a square cross section) negotiates the two severe bends of the steel tube. It has to twist as it negotiates the bends as the tip has a square cross section.

Inserting the dipstick is the same idea. I let it twist how it wants to as I insert it. This technique impart the least stress on the poor thing.

I have a few posts on the dipstick including finding the cheapest replacement. Here is one about the bends of the steel tube.

My original dipstick shows no sign of departing yet. The o-rings are a little tired.

Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-18-2018, 04:48 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I use the Craven too - I heard it adds 5 hp as well.

The following users liked this post:
CravenSpeed (04-18-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:23 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear

nope.
That's my point...

Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
I actually accidentally broke mine where the flat spot of the finger pull meets the capping disc.
Just put a large washer with a snap ring bellow the capping disc to be able to pull it out....
I can rig most anything if I put my mind to it....

Old 04-27-2018, 11:00 AM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The dipstick on my 2006 MCS lasted a long time but finally broke. My technique for removing it or putting it in was to let it turn however it wanted to. I didn't (don't) hold the handle tight in a fixed position, but allow the stick to rotate (almost as if it where screwing in or out as need be by what ever it is hitting internally.)

The only thing that saved me is that I always examen the stick. I found it was broke, but the outer rubber part held it together enough for me to get it out and not have it break off.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
www.partsgeek.com has these for around $15-$18 dollars. Ordered one - I'll let you know if it lasts.

Quick Reply: Dipstick for R53